The England Thread

Pilko

Nice deflection. :thup:

Rooney's a terrific player who can play an important part in an England first Xl with Sturridge and Sterling/Walcott either side of him. If you disagree, fair play. I'm not going to debate it with you.

Think Stones really looks the part at CB. With Distin and Jagielka no strangers to injuries, he should get plenty of game time next season, and that's if he doesn't become first choice regardless. 2 more years experience at his current trajectory and he'd be well worth playing.

Is Duffy any use? He didn't appear to set the world alight while at Yeovil/Scunthorpe

He nearly died a few years ago in a training ground accident which probably didn't help. Unfortunately doubt he'll be much use for us, probably get loaned out again/sold to a Championship club, where I reckon he can still do a good job.

Think Stones really looks the part at CB. With Distin and Jagielka no strangers to injuries, he should get plenty of game time next season, and that's if he doesn't become first choice regardless. 2 more years experience at his current trajectory and he'd be well worth playing.

Is Duffy any use? He didn't appear to set the world alight while at Yeovil/Scunthorpe

He nearly died a few years ago in a training ground accident which probably didn't help. Unfortunately doubt he'll be much use for us, probably get loaned out again/sold to a Championship club, where I reckon he can still do a good job.

Yeah the few times I saw him he looked like a championship player but he was being touted as our (Ireland) centre half of the future before that accident.

Greece v. Costa Rica in a World Cup round of 16 match doesn't suggest you need Clairefontaine style youth facilities and elite coaches at all levels of the game in order to be successful in tournaments.

It's a long term problem, but it's not the reason England don't turn up. Countries do more with much, much less.

I'm just quoting you to voice my agreement once again. People getting bogged down on whether or not our team is full of shite as if they'd take Joel Campbell above any of our strikers, when it's so fucking irrelevant. If the 11 best players in the world were all English, we'd no doubt still put up a terrible show.

Guest TruToon94

Nice deflection. :thup:

Rooney's a terrific player who can play an important part in an England first Xl with Sturridge and Sterling/Walcott either side of him. If you disagree, fair play. I'm not going to debate it with you.

How the hell is Rooney, "terrific" for England?

ter·ri·fic [ tə ríffik ] 

very great: very great in size, force, or degree

very good: exceptionally good in a way that inspires enthusiasm

very frightening: inspiring a sense of terror

2 out of 3 anyway.

Rooney wasn't at his best, but he tends to get judged by different standards from the others. He was still worth his place in the side.

Milner was really struggling yesterday, and I don't think we'll be seeing much more of him in an England shirt.

It was a shame that the Ox was injured and Wilshere wasn't fully fit, because I'd see them as key players in the future.

No offence, but you lot are f***ing horrific.

Dodgy keeper, full backs who can't do it at this level, John Terry's understudy combined with Phil Jagielka in defence.  A midfield of either past it jokers or kids who can't live up to PL form in the big stage and a fat, overrated striker who just can't be arsed.

The rest of the world see England as a joke of a team and rightly so.  You're s***, and you know you are.

Hart

New RB  New CB  Cahill  Shaw

Barkley  Wilshere  Lallana

Sturridge  Rooney  Sterling/Walcott

is how we could line up at the Euros. Keep kidding yourself if you think it's s***. We just need this lot to continue developing and a manager in place who could make a real team of them.

Do you know what is horrific? Not qualifying year after year after year.

It's not shit because of the quality of the players involved, never has been. It's shit nonetheless, until you sort out the tactical and mental side of the international game.

Mostly mental. We lack moments of quality, Pirlos step over for their first, the cross for their 2nd, Cavanis cross for Uruguay's first, Costa Ricas cross for theirs against Italy.

Its all top class quality. We have Rooney & Sturridge missing from 10 yards easier situations than any of those goals. That psychologist we took didn't help much either.

It's not shit because of the quality of the players involved, never has been. It's shit nonetheless, until you sort out the tactical and mental side of the international game.

first things first they need a top class manager with a proven record at international and european level who can start building immediately over a period of years while at the same time building at grass roots level...england need tactical coaching from a top class manager immediately

the guardian were joking on that hodgson keeps referring to how bright the future is while letting the present continue to suffer...obviously not as simple as that but there's some truth to it

nothing would do more for the english game than a confident manager getting them beating sides

Mostly mental. We lack moments of quality, Pirlos step over for their first, the cross for their 2nd, Cavanis cross for Uruguay's first, Costa Ricas cross for theirs against Italy.

Its all top class quality. We have Rooney & Sturridge missing from 10 yards easier situations than any of those goals. That psychologist we took didn't help much either.

The psychologist nonsense was the biggest load of bullshit I've ever seen.

Ok, so there's no doubt he's helped people in the past most notably Ronnie O'Sullivan, but that was over the course of a few years.

How on earth can someone speak to the players for a few months and transform them in to mental warriors.

not sure psychology is really the right term for what england lack collectively, for me the fact we never get the better of anyone (decent) tactically is by far the biggest issue - we're always on the backfoot in that sense and it'll always lead to players performing badly/under-performing

when was the last time we came up against a good team not only nullified their main threat but also made our threats pertinent in the game?  never i'd imagine

No offence, but you lot are f***ing horrific.

Dodgy keeper, full backs who can't do it at this level, John Terry's understudy combined with Phil Jagielka in defence.  A midfield of either past it jokers or kids who can't live up to PL form in the big stage and a fat, overrated striker who just can't be arsed.

The rest of the world see England as a joke of a team and rightly so.  You're s***, and you know you are.

Hart

New RB  New CB  Cahill  Shaw

Barkley  Wilshere  Lallana

Sturridge  Rooney  Sterling/Walcott

is how we could line up at the Euros. Keep kidding yourself if you think it's s***. We just need this lot to continue developing and a manager in place who could make a real team of them.

Do you know what is horrific? Not qualifying year after year after year.

Did you miss me saying that just there?

not sure psychology is really the right term for what england lack collectively, for me the fact we never get the better of anyone (decent) tactically is by far the biggest issue - we're always on the backfoot in that sense and it'll always lead to players performing badly/under-performing

when was the last time we came up against a good team not only nullified their main threat but also made our threats pertinent in the game?  never i'd imagine

Its a bit of both most likely. You can have a good setup that wont mean a whole lot if your players struggle to control the ball. Rooney was putting corners into the stand & missing chances he'd score 8/10 in the prem & was still one of our better players. At the same time the guy Fulham let go is dispatching Italy for Costa Rica & doing 360 roulette turns in the middle of the pitch. Only the younger lads for us showed similar individual ability to their club form.

Guest TruToon94

The reason we're s*** is because our tactics our s***, our set-up is s*** and we won't clear out the rubbish. We say, "this guy is better than all of you" and give him chance after chance despite him being s****. Beckham is the only guy like that who ever performed in my opinion. Tired of this talent s***. Who do Uruguay actually have apart from Suarez? Who do Costa Rica actually have?

Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard have had their chances, they need to go. Hart is s**** as well so he should go off. Can't believe people are asking Stevie G for advice FFS. HE LOST US THE MATCH! He shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. This is like a bizzare weirdo universe at the moment.

Guest TruToon94

Who do Uruguay actually have apart from Suarez?

:dowie:

Yeah that was a bit stupid.... Replace that with Costa Rica.

The reason we're s*** is because our tactics our s***, our set-up is s*** and we won't clear out the rubbish. We say, "this guy is better than all of you" and give him chance after chance despite him being s****. Beckham is the only guy like that who ever performed in my opinion. Tired of this talent shit. Who do Uruguay actually have apart from Suarez?

Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard have had their chances, they need to go. Hart is s**** as well so he should go off. Can't believe people are asking Stevie G for advice FFS. HE LOST US THE MATCH! He shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. This is like a bizzare weirdo universe at the moment.

One of the best defenders in the world and one of the best strikers in the world