BBC: Freddy Shepherd £60m offer for NUFC likely to be accepted

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/87115/Freddy-told-to-stay-out-of-Toon/

FREDDY TOLD TO STAY OUT OF TOON

1st July 2009

By Jason Mellor

FREDDY SHEPHERD faces a Toon Army revolt over his £60m bid to return to Newcastle.

Unpopular ex-chairman Shepherd is in advanced talks to take control at St James’s Park for a second time – two years after he was bought out by Mike Ashley – and would make Alan Shearer boss.

But St James’s Park regulars accuse Shepherd of sparking Toon’s downward spiral from the Champions League into the ­Championship by sacking Sir Bobby Robson in 2004.

Ashley is desperate to end his nightmare stint in charge and is expected to drop his £100m asking price to do business.

Influential fans’ website NUFC.com has hit out at Shepherd’s possible return, insisting: “It’d be another backwards step if we’re treated to more ­embarrassing ‘Geordie Nation’ utterances, family members on the board and hangers-on back in the directors’ box.

“The club has been without competent management at all levels for decades and that needs to change now.”

Want-away Ashley has slashed his asking price from £300m last September to well below the £134m paid by the sportswear magnate in May 2007.

:D

Ask SBR about that, and the game against Wolves in 2004. How false can you get, what a shambles.

Guest Roger Kint

I usually like the boys at .com but when the national press take the opnions of a couple of lads who run a supporters website and translate it into the opinion of the whole Geordie nation it can piss me off a little.

:facepalm:

FFS can you not get into prespective now how harmless Shepherd's Geordie Nation words are after the crap weve been through!! Bloody hell

Fiesty one you are!

The mess we are in now and thats your contribution? Bloody hell, brilliant use of perspective :idiot2:

Are you a Shepherd fan? Or would you prefer someone else who hasnt a track record of failure?(serious question btw)

I think people who would prefer to slam the door in Fred's face, twiddle our thumbs and find out what's in the mystery box are vastly overestimating our attractiveness to a buyer with no previous connection to the club.  After watching Ashley's spiral of mutual destruction you'd need your head seen to if you wanted to buy this club and pump money into it confidently expecting a return.  Shepherd may act solely in the interests of his wallet and his ego but at least his ravenous pursuit of feeding both motivates him in the right direction for the club and we can clearly see that's what drives him.  I'd be very suspicious of both the intentions and the competence of anyone else who's wanting to buy the club for around this £60m sticker price.

Guest Roger Kint

I always thought £60m for a club like Newcastle is a bargain. Depends on the debt and if Ashley needs to be repaid as well I suppose.

At the end of the day its all speculation until its official. We have heard just about every outcome to this in the 38 days its been strung out. On a personal level i hope its not Shepherd although for all i know he isnt even in the running, its no fun siftng through the crap served up by the media though :laugh2:

I think people who would prefer to slam the door in Fred's face, twiddle our thumbs and find out what's in the mystery box are vastly overestimating our attractiveness to a buyer with no previous connection to the club.  After watching Ashley's spiral of mutual destruction you'd need your head seen to if you wanted to buy this club and pump money into it confidently expecting a return.  Shepherd may act solely in the interests of his wallet and his ego but at least his ravenous pursuit of feeding both motivates him in the right direction for the club and we can clearly see that's what drives him.  I'd be very suspicious of both the intentions and the competence of anyone else who's wanting to buy the club for around this £60m sticker price.

Shepherd would be terrible. I would much rather take a chance on somebody else. We would be very very unlucky to end up with someone worse than Shepherd again.

Shepherd would be terrible. I would much rather take a chance on somebody else. We would be very very unlucky to end up with someone worse than Shepherd again.

What if there is no other option?

Guest Slippery Sam

People need to read more carefully.

.com said:  “It’d be another backwards step if we’re treated to more ­embarrassing ‘Geordie Nation’ utterances, family members on the board and hangers-on back in the directors’ box.

The clue as in whether they have actully dismissed Shepherd's return, I have emboldened. Daily Star ?? FFS.

If theres no other option other than to die as a club, of course I would take Freddy back. However, from reports it seems like there ARE other options.

If theres no other option other than to die as a club, of course I would take Freddy back. However, from reports it seems like there ARE other options.

We don't know how ambitious they will be though. With Shepherd you know he will set his sights on a return to the Prem and will make the funds available to do it. After Ashley, I'm very nervous about the motives of foreign investors unless they are minted.

We don't know how ambitious they will be though. With Shepherd you know he will set his sights on a return to the Prem and will make the funds available to do it. After Ashley, I'm very nervous about the motives of foreign investors unless they are minted.

I would rather see the club safe and well run tbh. With that we will progress on and off the field at the correct pace. If we are well run we will get promoted anyway. Shepherd plunging us into more dept and making a fool of himself holds no attraction to me, especially considering how bad his decision making has proven to be in the past. You can be well run AND ambitious you know. This club can be both considering the potential it has to generate money.

I would rather two years in this division sorting ourselves out, than spunking a load of cash we don't have up the wall and Shepherd strutting around making more ridiculous decisions in the Premier League. We would most likely end up back at square one the Shepherd way. How anyone can trust the fat cunt is beyond me.

I would rather see the club safe and well run tbh. With that we will progress on and off the field at the correct pace. If we are well run we will get promoted anyway. Shepherd plunging us into more dept and making a fool of himself holds no attraction to me, especially considering how bad his decision making has proven to be in the past. You can be well run AND ambitious you know. This club can be both considering the potential it has to generate money.

I would rather two years in this division sorting ourselves out, than spunking a load of cash we don't have up the wall and Shepherd strutting around making more ridiculous decisions in the Premier League. We would most likely end up back at square one the Shepherd way. How anyone can trust the fat cunt is beyond me.

Wasn't that what Ashley was saying?

I would rather two years in this division sorting ourselves out, than spunking a load of cash we don't have up the wall and Shepherd strutting around making more ridiculous decisions in the Premier League. We would most likely end up back at square one the Shepherd way. How anyone can trust the fat c*** is beyond me.

Wasn't that what Ashley was saying?

Probably, but Ashley is a terrible example of doing it that way. He didn't practice what he preached and has made shocking decisions. We were anything but well run.

There arent two ways of running a football club, the Ashley way and the Shepherd way. Boths are fuckin shit ways to run a football club.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Two years "sorting ourselves out" in the Championship is not the way to go for a club this size. We have to show our intent and make sure we are giving ourselves the best chance of blazing back into the Premier and we need an owner with the ambition to go for it.

I would rather two years in this division sorting ourselves out, than spunking a load of cash we don't have up the wall and Shepherd strutting around making more ridiculous decisions in the Premier League. We would most likely end up back at square one the Shepherd way. How anyone can trust the fat c*** is beyond me.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Two years "sorting ourselves out" in the Championship is not the way to go for a club this size. We have to show our intent and make sure we are giving ourselves the best chance of blazing back into the Premier and we need an owner with the ambition to go for it.

Bingo

And you think Shepherd is the best man for that, despite his past failure?

And you think Shepherd is the best man for that, despite his past failure?

He's the known quantity so I can make a judgement that we will aim high next season if he is involved. It might well be the other interested parties are better, or they could easily turn out like Ashley, or saddle the club with debt like Man U's or Liverpool's owners have. No one knows who they are or what their motives are yet so I don't see how anyone can be sure they will necessarily be better than Ashley.

"Ambition" is a much-mythologised quality on this board. We also need owners with financial acumen and an ability to get key appointments right. Shepherd fails on both those counts, although luckily the first big decision (manager) is a no-brainer.

I would probably look at Shepherd as stupid rather than ambitious. Throwing money at the wrong people isnt ambitious, just utter stupidity and totally risky.

We've always been alright when we have had manager who has had links with the club/area its when fat man has to make a decsion outside this that has cost us big time.

Having shearer ready to take the job might do us the world of good, my worry would be if shearer left and he had to pick a new manager.

I would probably look at Shepherd as stupid rather than ambitious. Throwing money at the wrong people isnt ambitious, just utter stupidity and totally risky.

Explain your 'throwing money at the wrong people', everyone gets some transfers wrong.  What about the ones he got right.. ie: supporting SBR on buys such as Bellamy, Woodgate, Bernard, Robert to name a few.

Were those signings stupid too?

No they weren't, however we had a good manager to pick the players then. When Shepherd started picking the players and appointing shit managers to spend the cash, it all went to pot. His decision making was terrible. I can't believe as many people are sticking up for him.

No they weren't, however we had a good manager to pick the players then. When Shepherd started picking the players and appointing shit managers to spend the cash, it all went to pot. His decision making was terrible. I can't believe as many people are sticking up for him.

Maybe people think that if Shearer does come in, and is backed by Freddy, we'll do better than if the status quo remains and we have Hughton/Calderwood leading us into the campaign...

:razz: