Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest toonlass

Jack Charlton, though: totally rambling. :lol:

He just told his dog to shut up barking :lol:

:lol: Love Jackie Charlton, funny likeable bloke.

He once walked straight into me as he was coming out of the New Ship in Newbiggin and I was walking along the street. He was a really funny, nice bloke and apologised for nearly knocking me over.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5463810,00.html

Tributes are pouring in for former England manager Sir Bobby Robson, who has died aged 76.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said in a statement released by the League Managers' Association: "I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend; a wonderful individual; a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face; developed by the Durham County mining background that he came from.

"His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile; always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

England head coach Fabio Capello, now president of the LMA, said: "Sir Bobby was a wonderful man, a real gentleman.

"It's extremely sad that Sir Bobby has lost his final fight against cancer, but he will never be forgotten. He really was a great man.

"To manage the national team for so long was a remarkable achievement, and we all remember how close he came to leading England to the World Cup final in Italy."

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle, who played under Robson at the 1986 World Cup, told Sky Sports: "It's devastating, very sad. Our feelings and thoughts go out to Bobby's family. Obviously for everybody in the football world it's a very, very sad day."

Robson took England to the quarter-finals of the 1986 finals and went one better four years later in Italy only to be knocked out on penalties by West Germany in the semi-finals.

Hoddle continued: "He's the closest we've come to winning the World Cup (since 1966) - that's how good Bobby was.

"In the 1990 World Cup with a little bit more luck and calmness in the penalty shoot-out, who knows what could have happened? He was right up there behind Sir Alf Ramsey in that sense. He was a football man, a very endearing man, quite comical.

"We had a fantastic squad certainly in '86 - who knows what could have happened if the 'hand of God' goal from Maradona didn't happen?

"You can see how respected he was all around the world.

"He was a very open and very honest person. He and Don Howe were closely-knit together in my era of playing under Bobby. He was someone that would talk to you. The lads really did take to him and have respect for what he's done not only in football but off the pitch. He was a very charming man but also a winner.

"I was absolutely amazed to see, when he went back to Newcastle, the passion he had for continuing at Newcastle when he'd done most jobs he wanted to.

"I met up quite a few times with him when he was Newcastle manager and that passion was still there. I think that was still there to this very day. He had a genuine, refreshing love the game. He'll be sadly missed."

Former England goalkeeper Ray Clemence added: "It's a sad day for football and football people.

"He had such honesty and enthusiasm for the game as a player and manager. Even right up to the very end, when he spoke about football the enthusiasm still shone through how much he loved and cared about the game.

"Since Sir Alf Ramsey England have never been as close to winning the World Cup as we were with Bobby. At the top end of sport, these things are decided by the smallest issues and obviously it went to penalties.

"He certainly made the nation very proud because of the way the team played in that 1990 World Cup."

Robson's assistant as England boss, Don Howe, said: "It is a sad day. When somebody is ill like that you realise what is happening but when it comes it is really shocking to your system.

"Having known him since the 1950s when he was transferred from Fulham to West Brom, where I was already, we just gelled together. We were both similar, we had both got big families to look after and wanted to be successful in football. That's why we got on well together.

"He was a man of standards. Whatever he talked about or did, he had high standards to do the best he could possibly do and he lived his life that way."

Another former England boss, Steve McClaren, revealed Robson had always been on hand to offer advice throughout his time in the national hotseat.

"I had a cup of tea with him a couple of months ago in his home. He was fighting as he always did but you could tell time was passing," said the former Middlesbrough manager.

"To be so successful, but to be so loved by everybody throughout his career... that's special and says something. The game will be worse for Bobby Robson leaving us.

"The passion was still there, it was unbelievable. His mind was still so sharp, so enthusiastic, even at that age and even though he had an illness.

"I saw a programme once on him and the great players around the world adored Sir Bobby Robson because of his sheer passion."

McClaren, now coaching FC Twente in the Dutch Eredivisie, added: "I know

in Holland he's so loved by everybody. You've got to have passion and he had it in abundance.

"He did it the right way. Clubs loved working with him, players loved working with him - such a character.

"I became quite close to Bobby during my England career. I often had talks with him and he gave me great advice.

"He advised me to come over here to Holland, he said 'Get over there, you'll love it'. It's the best advice I've ever had."

Former Newcastle assistant manager Terry McDermott hailed Robson's bravery over the duration of his long battle with cancer.

"It's devastating," he said.

"Everybody knew it was coming. The people who've seen him at the weekend at the charity game, you could see he wasn't a well man. It shows the courage of the man to actually turn up in front of 33,000 people and get the fitting send-off he deserved because he's a fantastic football person.

"Everybody knew he was in trouble and he was going to die but it's still a shock to everybody. Everybody remembers him obviously for being a nice person but what a great football person as well.

"He'll be sadly missed by everyone, not just Newcastle but football in general."

Of his personal memories of Robson, McDermott added: "I've met Bobby on numerous occasions. Eighteen months ago I went to a function in Durham, one of his charity nights. and him and Alex Ferguson came on stage... it was beyond belief how ill he was.

"He just mesmerised everybody, it was a pleasure to be in his company. He always had a story to tell, a very amusing guy. Our hearts go out to his wife and all his family."

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd recalled his memory of how Robson accepted the job of Magpies manager without even discussing his salary.

"His enthusiasm was unbelievable. He just loved Newcastle," he told Sky Sports News.

"When he first joined us, we asked in London did he want the job? He said 'yeah, I don't want to talk about wages, I just want to be up there today'.

"His enthusiasm was fantastic."

Robson was sacked in August 2004 - something Shepherd admits was not an easy task.

"It was a board decision, we were a plc so it was a collective thing and I had to go along with it. I certainly didn't enjoy it. We stayed great friends, played golf etc. He was a great guy.

"He knew how to play me, there's always friction there (between chairman and manager) - it's part of the business but he knew how to play me and he's done it very successfully!"

Newcastle's current managing director Derek Llambias said: "Sir Bobby was one of the game's true footballing legends, a unique, passionate man who gave so much to the game.

"He will be enormously missed by the whole football community worldwide and we extend our sincere condolences to his wife Elsie and family.

"We may never see his like again.''

Former England and Newcastle skipper Alan Shearer paid tribute to a "great man".

"Sunday was a fitting tribute to him and he will be sadly missed by everyone, not just by people in the football world but from all walks of life,'' Shearer said.

"It's a very sad day for everyone, especially his family, his close friends and anyone who's ever worked with him.''

Former Newcastle midfielder Lee Clark, now Huddersfield manager, told the Huddersfield Examiner: "It's a very sad day for football and a very sad day for the country, because he was respected in all walks of life throughout the nation.

"I knew Sir Bobby well in my time at Newcastle United, I also came across him at times when I was in the England squads and he was always a fantastic man.

"He was so knowledgeable and so enthusiastic about football and that lasted until his very last day. He would love to talk about the game and his passion for football was unbelievable."

England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce, who played under Sir Bobby for England, added: "It is a massive loss, as a man, and to football.

"I cannot think of anyone in the game who was held in higher esteem. It was an absolute privilege and honour for me to work with him.

"My thoughts are with his family at this time."

Former England striker Gary Lineker, who played under Robson at the 1986 and 1990 World Cups, said: "I was deeply saddened to hear of Bobby Robson's death. He was a great football man.

"He had a tremendous enthusiasm and passion for football and life and continued to retain this right to the last days of his life.

"He will be deeply missed by everyone, especially those who played for him. I have the fondest memories of playing for him at two World Cups.

"In recent years he undertook a great deal of work for his cancer charity and raised the profile considerably in addition to the monies raised."

Former England defender Paul Parker, another who was part of Robson's 1990 World Cup squad, said he was a manager who inspired players to perform.

"When I was with the England side he was a fantastic person to play for. The way he asked you and told you do stuff...you really wanted to do it for the man," Parker told 5Live.

"With his love and his drive you just wanted to perform for him. Everybody loved playing for Bobby, he was one of the few managers everybody took to. He was just a wonderful man to play for."

Robson was also well respected in the cricket world, often attending England matches.

Trevor Steven, also a member of Robson's 1990 World Cup squad, said: "It is very sad news.

"I knew he was desperately ill, so in some ways it is not a surprise.

"Bobby was a very important man to me in my career, he gave me my first England cap.

"He was a 100 per cent football man, very enthususiastic and it is that enthusiasm that I will remember him best for, that was his most appealing trait.

"He had some tough times as an England manager but he stuck by his players and gave them his full backing."

Former England midfielder Ray Wilkins said Sir Bobby was a "smashing guy'' who "lived his life with humility''.

"Everyone had the utmost respect for him,'' he told Sky News, adding that players were willing to "run through a brick wall'' for him.

"He handled people in the right fashion and I think that was his major strength.

"He was a joy to be around.''

Howard Wilkinson, chairman of the League Managers' Association, said: "My best memories of Bobby are the funny ones, all the more funny because he remained blissfully unaware, nor offended that his faux pas became a source of such fun.

"At one England Under-21 gathering, I selected Shola Ameobi who was a young striker at Newcastle under him. Bobby had also bought at great expense Carl Cort, a striker from Wimbledon.

"Shola had about six Christian names, most of them, to me, unpronounceable and in an attempt to put him at his ease on his debut performance, I called the lad over and asked him what Bobby called him when he was at the club.

"With absolutely no sense of resentment, rather more with a sense of love and understanding, Shola said, 'Carl Cort, mostly'.

"At a time when 'great' and 'world class' are sometimes too freely ascribed, the descriptions underscore Sir Bobby Robson. He was truly a great and world class person."

A statement from Barcelona fondly remembered Robson's spell at the club, when he won the Spanish Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup in 1997.

"Barcelona is in mourning," it said. "During his period with the club, Robson won the affection of all Cules (Barca supporters).

"He is a true legend of world football."

PSV Eindhoven, the club Robson won back-to-back Dutch titles with in 1991 and 1992, issued a statement on their website.

"PSV have heard about the sad news that former head coach Sir Bobby Robson passed away this morning at the age of 76 years," the statement said.

"Robson was an icon from British football and he had enormous popularity among our fans.

"The last, warm, meeting between PSV and Robson took place last year in the summer in Newcastle, where PSV played a friendly match in the pre-season against the Magpies.

"Robson came and talked about his memories with everyone from the club, where he worked between 1990 and 1992 and from 1998 to 1999. Despite his already fragile health, Sir Bobby shone and enjoyed seeing PSV one more time."

The Football Association released a statement which read: "The FA is deeply saddened to hear the news that Sir Bobby Robson passed away this morning.

"The thoughts of all our staff, and indeed the whole of football, are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.

"Sir Bobby will forever be remembered as one of the nation's greatest ever football managers.

"Flags at Soho Square and Wembley Stadium will fly at half mast in honour of Sir Bobby."

FA chief executive Ian Watmore added: "The whole of football loved Bobby Robson as a player, a manager and an ambassador for the game.

"This is a sad day and on behalf of the Football Association I would like to send condolences to his family and thank him for all that he did for England and football in general."

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "It's a real shame. Obviously our thoughts go out to his family.

"Anyone who spent any time in his company was enriched. The great thing about Bobby was he made you feel you knew him well.

"He always had time to speak to you and share his passion for the game."

Former England defender Warren Barton, who played under Robson at Newcastle, said: "It's devastating news, he was a great manager and a great man. I hope his legacy continues, he was the best manager I had.

"He was black and white through and through."

BBC pundit and former Scotland international Alan Hansen praised Robson's ability to get the best out of his players.

"Bobby took a lot of criticism in 1986 but if you looked at the sides England had in 1982, 2002 or 2006 the players they had in terms of ability were far above those Bobby had," he said.

"Bobby could have won the World Cup in 1990 with what I thought was an average side.

"I had some dealings with him when filming documentaries and he was a bit like Bill Shankly.

"When you spoke with Bill or with Bobby you had a conversation for an hour and a half and you didn't have to say anything.

"He poured the tea and then it was 40 minutes straight off talking about Barcelona or Newcastle or what he was planning. His passion was phenomenal."

West Brom's chairman Jeremy Peace said: "Everyone at West Bromwich Albion is deeply saddened to hear of Sir Bobby's Robson's passing.

"He was a terrific servant for this football club, which always remained dear to his heart.

"He was a true gentleman in every sense and our sincere condolences go to his family."

Sunderland issued a statement which read: "Sir Bobby, one of the north east's favourite sons and a regular at Sunderland fixtures at the Stadium of Light, transcended the clubs he represented both on and off the field to become a respected figure across the entire world football community,

"The club would like to pass its sincere condolences to Lady Elsie and Sir Bobby's family at this very sad time."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown paid tribute to Robson and said he would be "sorely missed''.

"I was extremely saddened to hear of the death of Sir Bobby Robson,'' Mr Brown said.

"I had the privilege of meeting Bobby on many occasions. He epitomised everything that is great about football in this country.

"His passion, patriotism, dedication and professionalism knew no equal during his time both as a player and a manager.

"His remarkable achievements as manager of Ipswich Town and then of England are among the most distinguished in English football history, and he was able to replicate that extraordinary success during his time at PSV Eindhoven, Porto and Barcelona.

"Over the past few years, he fought cancer with his characteristic tenacity and good humour.

"He will be sorely missed - not only in Newcastle and Ipswich, both of whom he served with such devotion, but by all sports fans in our country.

"My sincere condolences go to his wife Elsie and his family.''

Former prime minister Tony Blair, a Newcastle supporter, said: "Sir Bobby was one of the nicest, most caring and genuine people I ever met - a real Geordie gentleman.

"He was, of course, an outstanding coach, but he was also immensely generous with his time and energy across a range of charitable activities.

"It was a privilege to have known him."

Gerry Sutcliffe, Minister for Sport, said: "Sir Bobby Robson was one of the towering figures of English football.

"His record at club, European and international level speaks for itself.

"He was a much-loved and respected figure who lived and breathed football at every level , and in the right spirit, and his passion for the game was infectious. He will be sorely missed."

Prince William, who is president of the FA, said in a statement: "I am deeply saddened to hear about Sir Bobby Robson's death.

"His contribution to English football as a player, manager and superb ambassador for our national game has been immense.

"He will be sadly missed by football fans everywhere, and I am thinking about his family at this difficult time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8178079.stm

FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN BRYAN ROBSON

"He called me his Captain Marvel and it stuck for the rest of my playing career. It made me very proud but it was only typical of the respect he earned from myself and the rest of the dressing room.

"I have never come across anybody with such a passion for football. We had a tremendous personal relationship as manager and skipper.

"Any criticism he had of a player was kept very private and publicly he gave all of us his total backing.

"We stayed pretty close even towards the end and, along with many other friends, I enjoyed his company in Portugal playing in his Golf Classic. He will be missed by everybody who knew him."

MAN UTD MANAGER SIR ALEX FERGUSON

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

SCOTLAND MANAGER GEORGE BURLEY

"It was a big decision for me and my parents to make such a long journey at that age," said Burley, who played under Robson after leaving his home in Ayrshire to join Ipswich as a 15-year-old.

"But Sir Bobby was like a father to me, taking a personal interest in me right from the start, always checking whether I was happy. His support and enthusiasm was the perfect cure for homesickness and helped my career to get off the ground and thrive.

"I'll never forget when in 1973, the day before we played Manchester United at Old Trafford, he took me to one side and told me I would be making my first-team debut. I was 17 and the player I had to mark just happened to be George Best.

"My parents came down from Scotland to watch the game and I remember him getting off the team bus and presenting them with two directors' box tickets. We lost 3-0 but Sir Bobby was magnificent, telling me how well I'd played. It did wonders for my confidence.

"I went on to play over 500 games for Ipswich in a side that drew inspiration from its manager. From 1972 we qualified for European competitions nine out of 10 years which was remarkable considering the size of our squad and our standing as a small-town club.

"That was all down to his man-management, tactics and judgement. No finer example of that was when, after we won the FA Cup, he sold Brian Talbot to Arsenal for £450,000 and spent less than that to bring in that fabulous Dutch pair Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijssen.

"I could not possibly get my head round how my career would have gone had it not been for Sir Bobby Robson. I owe him everything and I only hope I can be guided by the example he showed me."

ENGLAND MANAGER FABIO CAPELLO

"Sir Bobby was a wonderful man, a real gentleman. I remember very well the times I managed my teams against him.

"The first time being when Bobby was manager of Barcelona and I was in my first season with Real Madrid. Later, when he was Newcastle manager and I was with Roma we faced each other - as opponents, but always friends.

"Of course, I recall Bobby as a manager with Ipswich, but more so with England. To manage the national team for so long was a remarkable achievement, and we all remember how close he came to leading England to the World Cup Final in Italy.

"He went on to enjoy success with PSV Eindhoven, Porto, Sporting Lisbon and Barcelona before returning to 'home' with Newcastle.

"Earlier this year I spent some time with Bobby when he opened the new cancer treatment centre, for which he worked so hard to raise funds. He was a fantastic man, and loved by so many people. His spirit and courage was incredible. To fight cancer so many times really showed the strength of the man.

"All the time we spoke over a cup of coffee with his close family, his passion for football shone through.

"He loved the game and was extremely proud of his country and the North East region.

"I also recall the tribute dinner the LMA [League Managers' Association] hosted for Bobby when he wasn't planning to say more than a few words. In the end he stayed on the stage for a very long time, telling story after story, much to everyone's amusement.

"It's extremely sad that Sir Bobby has lost his final fight against cancer, but he will never be forgotten. He really was a great man."

FORMER NEWCASTLE CHAIRMAN FREDDY SHEPHERD

"It's very sad, especially on Tyneside. The whole of Tyneside will be grieving. Sir Bobby Robson was a great man and will be sorely missed.

"I worked with him for five years every day. He was certainly the best manager I ever worked with at Newcastle. He never put me under pressure and always tried to see my side.

"He wouldn't put up with fools and didn't take any nonsense. He came across as a very kind guy but underneath was very tough. He thought about football 24 hours a day and he would ring me at all hours of the day and never stopped thinking about football."

PRIME MINISTER GORDON BROWN

"I was extremely saddened to hear of the death of Sir Bobby Robson. I had the privilege of meeting Bobby on many occasions. He epitomised everything that is great about football in this country.

"His passion, patriotism, dedication and professionalism knew no equal during his time both as a player and a manager.

"His remarkable achievements as manager of Ipswich Town and then of England are among the most distinguished in English football history, and he was able to replicate that extraordinary success during his time at PSV Eindhoven, Porto and Barcelona.

"Over the past few years, he fought cancer with his characteristic tenacity and good humour.

"He will be sorely missed - not only in Newcastle and Ipswich, both of whom he served with such devotion, but by all sports fans in our country. My sincere condolences go to his wife Elsie and his family."

Guest The Libertine

from reading his "blog" on his charity's website he really seemed to enjoy last sunday.

Absolutely gutted - I'll never forget the day I passed my driving test.

He was a sporting legend, a Tyneside great, an example for all to follow and to put the icing on the cake he was a gentleman.

Long live the king!

Think this is great from Sir Alex:

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that. In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed. His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons. The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems. The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

Think this is great from Sir Alex:

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that. In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed. His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons. The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems. The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

Aye, fantastic statement. I've always got the impression that underneath all the public image Fergie is actually a very sound bloke.

Absolutely gutted - I'll never forget the day I passed my driving test.

He was a sporting legend, a Tyneside great, an example for all to follow and to put the icing on the cake he was a gentleman.

Long live the king!

what has your driving test got to do with it?  oh unless you passed today?

Guest The German

Hey Jonny Hall could u just change ur quote to Sir José Mourinho. Please

Also Support Newcastle Fan Project. Black and White with Robson's Dynamite!

Guest dazza

RIP Sir Bob. Think im going to watch the season review of the Champions League season tonight.

A true geordie thru and thru, sadly missed

Guest Geordiesned

Just been doing varying searches on Sir Bobby and it's a true testament of what a fighter he was that it was back on 7th August 2008 that he was told that his cancer was terminal. To fight on for another year when he was only expected to have another few months shows the determination of the man.

Guest Heneage

:lol: Love Jackie Charlton, funny likeable bloke.

I went to an after dinner thing where he was speaker, he was truly hilarious. Told some cracking stories about his time in Ireland.

PETER Beardsley says that Sir Bobby Robson was "the best manager he has ever worked with".

The Newcastle United favourite has joined the growing band of former players in paying tribute to Robson who passed away on Friday morning aged 76.

Beardsley was part of the England World Cup squads of 1986 and 1990 under which Robson's stewardship they reached the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively.

And an emotional Peter today told nufc.co.uk: "Sir Bobby was the best manager I have ever worked with.

"He was a players' manager. He never criticised his players and always did the best he could for us.

"Every football person in the world will be sad today.

"It was nice for me to have been part of Sunday's charity game and I think it was fitting that his last public appearance should be at St.James' Park.

"I won 59 England caps and 49 of them were with Sir Bobby, he did many, many good things for me with England and I will miss him dearly."

Guest Phil K

Bye, Bobby - and thanks

He'll be up there managing the old greats like Duncan Edwards, Bobby Moore, Jackie Milburn etc.

More reason to hate the immature yobbish sh*ts that brought him so much grief at NUFC - Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas.

Hung on just long enough to take in his game at SJP.

A true "Hero of the people"