World Class?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Everyones got their own perception of World Class talent, so this thread will go on forever if people have the stamina. I think the thing holding Rooney back from being truely World Class is his sulking demeanor and rage fits, but then, some people will say that's what makes him a World Class Player.

The difference for me, between what makes Messi a World Class player, and Ronaldo just a great player, is that Messi looks like he loves playing football, while Ronaldo cries and moans about everything... that and Messi is actually a World Class player.

does it have to be currently playing? Rooney,..nowhere near, he only does a few good things in a whole season.

what is world class ? if it is a player who would get into a worlds best team then what if there is a dearth of qulaity in a certain position (imo all defensive positions at the moment).

i may be raising the bar here but i'll class "world class" as those who wouldn't be out of place with the best.

if messi continues with his form he will be,ronaldo has the talent and arshavin will be very interesting to watch now he is on a bigger stage.

what is world class ? if it is a player who would get into a worlds best team then what if there is a dearth of qulaity in a certain position (imo all defensive positions at the moment).

i may be raising the bar here but i'll class "world class" as those who wouldn't be out of place with the best.

if messi continues with his form he will be,ronaldo has the talent and arshavin will be very interesting to watch now he is on a bigger stage.

worlds best team? or maybe players who would stand out at say,..world cup level?

Zlatan isn't world class ffs, wake up people?

NEVER perform in big games, only scores against small teams etc.

Zlatan

Is he bollocks. If he's included Mario Gomez should be in.

:kinnear:

Has Mario Gomez dominated Serie A for the past 3 years aswell?

He'd dominated the Bundesliga which is about the same level, He's got a big transfer fee, he's pish everywhere else.....they could be twins.

Guest firetotheworks

This thread is getting daft now.

Rooney: Not world class despite being brilliant in arguably the toughest league in europe

Juninho: World class because he's a class playmaker......in fucking France.

Carew.  :facepalm:

Rooney: Not world class despite being brilliant in arguably the toughest league in europe

Juninho: World class because he's a class playmaker......in f***ing France.

Neither are world class

Juninho: World class because he's a class playmaker......in f***ing France.

Although Juninho was mearly a suggestion he has been playing to a consistantly high class for a number of years in the Champions League.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Everyones got their own perception of World Class talent, so this thread will go on forever if people have the stamina. I think the thing holding Rooney back from being truely World Class is his sulking demeanor and rage fits, but then, some people will say that's what makes him a World Class Player.

The difference for me, between what makes Messi a World Class player, and Ronaldo just a great player, is that Messi looks like he loves playing football, while Ronaldo cries and moans about everything... that and Messi is actually a World Class player.

does it have to be currently playing? Rooney,..nowhere near, he only does a few good things in a whole season.

On another forum we did an all time greatest footballer draft where we all picked one player a round to be in our team, that was pretty good, not sure if I have my team lying around anymore.

Be interesting, if people could be bothered, to compare like for like players from each generation and see who was/is the best.

Like AM

Rui Costa v Gerrard

I know who I'd have...

Guest Stephen927

I think this thread has just proven how overused the term world class is nowadays.

Or how many really good players there are these days?

Major difference between good and world class though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think this thread has just proven how overused the term world class is nowadays.

i'd agree with the former comment

Yeah I don't think there's as many talented players as there were back in the 90s, but then that could be youhtful eyes and nostalgia playing tricks on me. Certainly more superstars then there was 10 years ago, but that's due to media hype and youtube.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

i'd agree with the former comment

Yeah I don't think there's as many talented players as there were back in the 90s, but then that could be youhtful eyes and nostalgia playing tricks on me. Certainly more superstars then there was 10 years ago, but that's due to media hype and youtube.

Don't forget FM, PES and Fifa games.

Actually, I don't think you're far wrong there >.<

EDIT:

Just as a test:

Is there anyone today as good as Dennis Bergkamp was in that Secondary Striker role?

Is there anyone today as good as Alan Shearer was at leading the line?

Is there anyone today as good as Veira (in his prime) at keeping the midfield organised?

World class is a bit of a loose term tbh, how can it be categorically defined?

If I was to list World Class players I'd put players who are on another level to everybody else at this moment, although again that's hard to say exactly.

Messi

Ronaldo

Kaka

Gerrard

Xavi

Iniesta

Ibrahimovic

Essien

Casillas

Ribery

Villa

Torres

Just outside this top bracket I'd place the following: Julio Cesar, Maicon, D.Alves, Robinho, Vidic, Ferdinand, Lampard, Alonso, Rooney, De Rossi, Robben, Pirlo, Terry, Cech, Ramos, Fabregas, Buffon.

Ronaldinho used to be my favourite player, but it proves how much his stock has fallen over the last 2 seasons that I wouldn't include him in either of these categories.

Just realised I haven't managed to include a single LB in the list, just shows there is no real standout player in that position, and hasn't been since Maldini tbh.

Ibrahimovic may seem a controversial selection ahead of that second class, but that just proves how underrated he is in England. Cannot wait to see him prove his class for Barca this season.

I hate seeing Gerrard on 'World Class' lists.

Never done it at International level = not world clas imo. Not to mention the on-field thuggery and constant cheating whcih leads to his 'match winning' goals for Liverpool.

Figo in his pomp, now there was world class. Ditto the real Ronaldo (albeit possibly on too short a time scale to be truly world class).

Looking at defensive options that may not have been mentioned, I'd say Puyol, Mascherano, Alves and Maicon are world class defensive players (in the latter two cases, world class attacking fullbacks).