The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Another total non-performance from Aguero, by the way.

Didn't exactly have much help like. Him and Forlan were as anonymous as each other because Atlético's midfield (and defence, of course) were woeful. Aguero has shown enough in La Liga over the past few years (and last year's Champions League) to show that in a better team he'd be pretty prolific.

Although Forlan had very little to work with in terms of actual service, he was still on the ball a lot of times and helped build a fair amount of attacking movements (which all seemed to break down on the flanks). I can remember Aguero touching the ball about three times in the final hour of the game. Good players, really good players, ones that are considered 'world class' tend to be able to at least be involved in a game where it's going against the team. He looked no different to any of the other poor players they had out there today, that moment of sheer brilliance that the likes of Drogba, Torres, Ibrahimovic, Villa etc can provide in a game going against them never looked like arriving from Aguero, because he wasn't near the ball.

I do think he's a good player fwiw, just definately second (or probably higher third) bracket in terms of the strikers there are out there.

Yet all of the players that you have mentioned above are far more developed footballing wise than Aguero. Although I know you're going over the top to wind up Nixon. ;)

I'm not going over the top, he mentioned nothing about development or potential - I was having a discussion with Ronaldo and a few others about who was the best striker in the world, the general concensus was Torres or Drogba, Nixon then quoted my post and said "Either him or Aguero".

We were talking about the best striker in the world right now, which Aguero certainly is not.

Guest Heneage

I'd still bet on Everton to win, I don't rate Benfica much this season.

Baffling, to say the least.

They've played 7, won 6 drew 1 and have a goal difference of +20.  They've scored 14 goals in their 3 home matches.

Have you seen the standard of the Portugese league? :lol:

It's based on 3 maybe 4  teams if you want to include Braga who I think will fall off, who the ref's in all honesty give nigh every 50 50 to anyway. Their has been major claims of corruption in that league with Porto, so don't be surprised if all have dipped their fingers in. They have played none of the big 3 around them and drew at home to Martimo for christ sake. The goal difference only looks so fantastic because they smacked 8 at home past a side that would be hard pushed to beat league 1 teams. The money in portugal isn't massive, and it's given to the big three (excluding Braga).

They've played 7, won 6 drew 1 and have a goal difference of +20.  They've scored 14 goals in their 3 home matches.

It's based on 3 maybe 4  teams if you want to include Braga who I think will fall off, who the ref's in all honesty give nigh every 50 50 to anyway. Their has been major claims of corruption in that league with Porto, so don't be surprised if all have dipped their fingers in. They have played none of the big 3 around them and drew at home to Martimo for christ sake. The goal difference only looks so fantastic because they smacked 8 at home past a side that would be hard pushed to beat league 1 teams. The money in portugal isn't massive, and it's given to the big three (excluding Braga).

They can only play who's infront of them, and thus far they're winning in style.  It's pretty much impossible not to rate them judging on how they've done so far this season.

If there's one team in this match who shouldn't be rated this season, it's the away team.

We go to Benfica in good shape.

We only have Arteta, Jagielka, Osman, Anichebe, Pienaar, Heitinga, Yobo, Neville and Neill out.

You really like to make it as publicly known as possible anytime Everton have injuries like.

To have such a long list of injuries again is pretty rare. If we get a result here it would be amazing.

We only have Arteta, Jagielka, Osman, Anichebe, Pienaar, Heitinga, Yobo, Neville and Neill out.

You really like to make it as publicly known as possible anytime Everton have injuries like.

To have such a long list of injuries again is pretty rare. If we get a result here it would be amazing.

You should try supporting Newcastle, it's rare to not have a long list of injuries. :(

Guest kingdawson

Hetinga out is bad news?

Guest Heneage

They can only play who's infront of them, and thus far they're winning in style.  It's pretty much impossible not to rate them judging on how they've done so far this season.

If there's one team in this match who shouldn't be rated this season, it's the away team.

But their football hasn't been good, they've scored goals but it isn't as fluid as the results suggest,  so against a tougher test I can see them struggling.

Despite the scoreline, there were plenty of reasons for encouragement there. Given the team-sheets, no surprise to see Benfica being more successful in the final third, but given the amount of time we've been in their half, I have hope.

I really can't make my mind up about Fellani. When Yakubu and co were out for long spells last season and he was forced to play up front he looked excellent, always a threat from the ariel ball. He's strong and combative but played in the middle of the park what exactly does he do? He doesn't seem to attack or defend he just seems to float around in the middle doing little.

Reagrding this game Benfica probably deserve the lead but only just, they just look that much better in the final third. For me Everton have to get the ball to Bilyaletdinov as often as they can. He hasn't had the best of games up to now but he looks miles ahead of anyone else they have in terms of creativity.

Guest firetotheworks

A player for Lazio just sent off for diving when it was a blatant penalty. He then gives a free kick to Senna when it was his tackle from behind. CrayzAAAAY!

Guest Heneage

A player for Lazio just sent off for diving when it was a blatant penalty. He then gives a free kick to Senna when it was his tackle from behind. CrayzAAAAY!

That was an incredibly harsh decision. I can only admire them bringing a striker on mind.