The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

When Atlético got relegated in the late 90s it was massive, they were only one of four Spanish clubs to have spent all their existence in the top flight (the others being Madrid, Barça and Athletic). Of course, the stick they got from all types of media and fans was legendary (since they still had Jesús Gil as owner, who was in jail at the time, and one of the most ridiculed figures in Spain).

When Atlético got relegated in the late 90s it was massive, they were only one of four Spanish clubs to have spent all their existence in the top flight (the others being Madrid, Barça and Athletic). Of course, the stick they got from all types of media and fans was legendary (since they still had Jesús Gil as owner, who was in jail at the time, and one of the most ridiculed figures in Spain).

Out of interest what is the lowest Barca have ever finished in their history?

Spent like 3 years out of the top division. Still, they have been close to relegation numerous times and aren't wealthy so it would be no extreme surprise.

I certainly know if we sent them down we wouldn't give a s***.

League Champions twice in the 80's. FA Cup winners in the 90's. Would be massive news and a massive shock.

Honours from the 80's/90's mean nothing. They currently aren't a particularly large club in terms of fanbase/finances. I certainly wouldn't be surprised or particularly bothered if they went down in the next few years.

Doubt any club outside Liverpool would go out of their way to mock their demise.

There's a difference between mocking someone's demise, and taking notice of it. Of course it'd be massive news if it were to happen.

We're a big club, but I guess I'm bound to say that.

Honours from the 80s/90s mean nothing?  :lol:

Ah dear.

There's difference between mocking someone's demise, and taking notice of it.

We're a big club, but I guess I'm bound to say that.

Honours from the 80s/90s mean nothing?  :lol:

Absolutely it's all about the 1900s, 1920s and 1950s :snod:

In terms of the shock factor of a team being relegated, no, honours from the past don't matter.

Blackburn won the league in '95, can't remember extreme shock when they went down.

So you've spent alot of years in the top flight, also means nothing when it comes to your current resources.

I'm not sure where your point's going here. If you don't see us as a big club because we don't have much money, fine by me.

I can see Bayern once again losing but going through on away goals.

I'm not sure where your point's going here. If you don't see us as a big club because we don't have much money, go for it.

Just wouldn't be particularly surprised/give a shit if Everton were relegated whereas Villa fans seemed to be rather delighted at our demise.

Everton are just one of those clubs, just there.

Bollocks.

I remember in '98 a pretty significant amount of Chelsea fans booing their own team because they were winning against Bolton which kept us up.

billy- we have been relegated once iirc but have played the most seasons in the top flight.

Yep, they were wishing Bolton to score like never before, it was incredible.

Mind, that t*** Huckerby did his best to single-handedly send us down, iirc.

to be fair it was probably more to cheer on the bolton fans because they were trying to survive and they happened to be at their ground more than anythin against everton. although cnt be too sure i quess but i doubt it.

Out of interest what is the lowest Barca have ever finished in their history?

11th in 1942, we actually played the relegation playoff then since the league was only made up by 12 teams. But that was right after the Civil War, with most of the team and board forced into exile (some even executed), a chairman appointed by Franco, etc...

However since that season we have never finished lower than sixth  :smug:

(this also makes us the only team that has always qualified for a UEFA competition in the entire continent)

Spent like 3 years out of the top division. Still, they have been close to relegation numerous times and aren't wealthy so it would be no extreme surprise.

League Champions twice in the 80's. FA Cup winners in the 90's. Would be massive news and a massive shock.

Honours from the 80's/90's mean nothing. They currently aren't a particularly large club in terms of fanbase/finances. I certainly wouldn't be surprised or particularly bothered if they went down in the next few years.

Doubt any club outside Liverpool would go out of their way to mock their demise.

You are off your tits if you think Everton aren't a "big club" or it wouldn't be a shock.

You are off your tits if you think Everton aren't a "big club".

They may well be a big club historically. My argument is that I wouldn't be surprised if they went down in the near future and certainly wouldn't wallow in their relegation, as the country seemingly did with us.

They don't feature on my radar.