Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Thing is, it seems Ashley doesn't bluff. He will offer a player what he things they're worth and what NUFC can afford, and if they don't agree to it he'll happily let them go IMO.

Not that I think Barton will leave, it's just agent fluff.

Of course it is. s*** which people usually ignore.

But when it's a negative story involving NUFC, it's 100% definitely true and the owner is the worst man alive and those poor players are being hard done by.

Ok... so this appears to me to be primarily about the length of contract and not particularly the amount.

Thinking about this with my head rather than my heart, if I was in charge of the purse strings, I think I'd be quite cautious about handing out a 3 year contract to him.

To be fair, he appears to have sorted himself out, but even so, I'm sure there's been more than one occassion this season where Pardew has said "Barton has found it hard this week", "It's been a tough week for Joey", "He needs his head to be right to get the best out of him" etc. It only takes one occassion for him to have a breakdown that he can't control and he could have burnt his bridges. If that happens sooner rather than later (or never), we're stuck with a player with no use to us, and will be practically impossible to sell due to his age, attitude and salary. I get the impression there's a certain amount of walking on egg shells that goes on with Joey.

Heart speaking here, I'd hand him the 3 year deal, but if the reason above is the case for the breakdown, I think I can understand it in this particular instance.

I recognise your point, but in turn I also want to point out it's Pardew who's saying that and he doesn't have a great track record for man management (prior to coming here, I mean). He likes to think he's being clever when he makes these comments, and they don't necessarily relate to whatever's happened on the training ground that day. It doesn't change the fact there could be a bust up with a player on a longish contract, of course, but then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Guest schmuck

Wasn't there confirmation out of the club at the time that Smith would not be sold under any circumstances in January? Ridculous priorities :lol:

Can feel myself getting sucked into the slow, faulty tap-like drip of summer speculation now, ugh. As compelling as it is unrewarding. Still, on a more football related note:

5 - No player assisted more goals (5) or created more goalscoring chances (41) from set pieces in the PL in 2010/11 than Joey Barton. Bibs. (OptaJoe)

Guest toonlass

Steve Wraith on Twitter "Spoke to a well know journo today who spoke to our MD and he allegedly said that they hadn't spoke to JB or agent...here we go again"

Thing is, it seems Ashley doesn't bluff. He will offer a player what he things they're worth and what NUFC can afford, and if they don't agree to it he'll happily let them go IMO.

But when it's a negative story involving NUFC, it's 100% definitely true and the owner is the worst man alive and those poor players are being hard done by.

For me i'm forced to believe them to avoid a disappointment, i laughed at the reports that said Keegan want to walk and that we are considring sacking Chris Hughton and look what happend.

I genuinely believe Barton wants to be at this club after all that's gone on and I'll be surprised if he leaves. Enrique on the other hand, who knows.

I think people are always wary of what's going on, espescially when we have players in high demand whose contracts are running out, and an owner who likes surprises and taking risks.

It doesn't seem to make any sense Joey leaving to go somewhere else for the sake of a slightly longer contract.

He seems happy, settled for the first time in his career, very important to a team that could be on the up with the right signings. Unless he wants to move abroad (which I doubt) NUFC seems a perfect place for him to be.

Probably just his agent being a cunt as usual.

Indeed, which is why you wouldn't expect him to let his agent act like a cunt on this occasion. Believe me, I've got no time for Willie Mckay himself. I can imagine his concern relates to the idea of him only getting 24 months from now on the clock and being bumped out next summer anyway along with Tiote et al - i.e. insecurity.

Joey is absolutely the type of player you should be looking into hanging onto. He WANTS to play for the club and it has been something lacking in an awful lot of players who have been at Newcastle in the last 5 years. Unfortunately 70K isn't feasible, at all. Seem's like he really wants to stay and personally i just think it's his agent being his usual self, any player willing to take a £20k pay cut to stay at a club is the kind of player you really want to keep a hold off, Arsenal and Newcastle fans have seen how quality of a player can go out of the window completely if they don't have the passion to play for the club!

Steve Wraith on Twitter "Spoke to a well know journo today who spoke to our MD and he allegedly said that they hadn't spoke to JB or agent...here we go again"

He talks some shite mind

It doesn't seem to make any sense Joey leaving to go somewhere else for the sake of a slightly longer contract.

He seems happy, settled for the first time in his career, very important to a team that could be on the up with the right signings. Unless he wants to move abroad (which I doubt) NUFC seems a perfect place for him to be.

Probably just his agent being a c*** as usual.

Indeed, which is why you wouldn't expect him to let his agent act like a c*** on this occasion. Believe me, I've got no time for Willie Mckay himself. I can imagine his concern relates to the idea of him only getting 24 months from now on the clock and being bumped out next summer anyway along with Tiote et al - i.e. insecurity.

The flaw in that sentence is the suggestion that agents actually give a fuck about what their players think.

He's probably went "Yeah, yeah Joey. Trust me I know what I'm doing...." and Joey has believed him. Agents man, ruining football.

Ok... so this appears to me to be primarily about the length of contract and not particularly the amount.

Thinking about this with my head rather than my heart, if I was in charge of the purse strings, I think I'd be quite cautious about handing out a 3 year contract to him.

To be fair, he appears to have sorted himself out, but even so, I'm sure there's been more than one occassion this season where Pardew has said "Barton has found it hard this week", "It's been a tough week for Joey", "He needs his head to be right to get the best out of him" etc. It only takes one occassion for him to have a breakdown that he can't control and he could have burnt his bridges. If that happens sooner rather than later (or never), we're stuck with a player with no use to us, and will be practically impossible to sell due to his age, attitude and salary. I get the impression there's a certain amount of walking on egg shells that goes on with Joey.

Heart speaking here, I'd hand him the 3 year deal, but if the reason above is the case for the breakdown, I think I can understand it in this particular instance.

I recognise your point, but in turn I also want to point out it's Pardew who's saying that and he doesn't have a great track record for man management (prior to coming here, I mean). He likes to think he's being clever when he makes these comments, and they don't necessarily relate to the reality on the ground. It doesn't change the fact there could be a bust up with a player on a longish contract, of course, but then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You could well be right, unfortunately it's one of those things that we won't really ever know as there is always varying versions of the truth. But, I personally can't see what benefit it would have coming out with these things if they were BS. And Barton himself has never made any grumblings that what he's saying isn't true. From what I've seen of Barton on the screen and judging by his past, and the fact that he's a man trying and possibly occasionally struggling to keep himself on the straight and narrow, the comments about him seem to fit the profile.

Maybe I'm naive and Pardew has other motives, or is trying to be clever.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

And you've still not given a justification as for why. Which is also a joke.

Why are you believing the 'media' version of events without question?

You still hate Ashley and think nothing good in the long term will ever happen while he's at the club, though, right?

So has he been offered a 2 year extension from the date of expiration on his current contract or a 2 year contract from the moment he signs? If it's just a 2 year contract then I can understand him not being happy as it's essentially just an extra year.

Probably just his agent being a c*** as usual.

Indeed, which is why you wouldn't expect him to let his agent act like a c*** on this occasion. Believe me, I've got no time for Willie Mckay himself. I can imagine his concern relates to the idea of him only getting 24 months from now on the clock and being bumped out next summer anyway along with Tiote et al - i.e. insecurity.

The flaw in that sentence is the suggestion that agents actually give a fuck about what their players think.

He's probably went "Yeah, yeah Joey. Trust me I know what I'm doing...." and Joey has believed him. Agents man, ruining football.

That is a fair point, I'm only offering Barton's possible/likely perspective.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

Eh? What do you think the 'media' version of events is exactly, and why? Is it something to do with their favourite boy, Joey 'lovely smile' Barton being wronged? If I am believing it it's probably because you still haven't told me the 'alternative' version.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

It's all typical agent blather. Barton has said all over the place he wants to stay. The club needs to call McKay's bluff or this will just keep happening with others. I love Joey, but as has been pointed out above the risk of losing him isn't that fearsome at his age and with his track record.

It's all typical agent blather. Barton has said all over the place he wants to stay. The club needs to call McKay's bluff or this will just keep happening with others. I love Joey, but as has been pointed out above the risk of losing him isn't that fearsome at his age and with his track record.

I don't think you need to worry about Ashley's response, we know it will be to tell him to fuck off. That's Ashley's new way, unless a player actually wants to leave they are wasting their time with this sort of thing now Big Mike is in charge.

Not that that's always positive, obviously we could end up losing players we would rather keep.

You still hate Ashley and think nothing good in the long term will ever happen while he's at the club, though, right?

I don't think anything good will come from him in the long term at all, no.

But that doesn't mean I'll blame him for everything and anything that is happening, nor will I believe all of the players guff about 'wanting to stay forever', 'best club in the world' blah blah - that's not football in the modern day. Alot of players seem to be escaping any form of criticism when it comes to these sorts of situations.

All I can see from my point of view (which is how alot of the journos are reporting it) is that there is an offer on the table and he isn't signing it.

Guest johnson293

Willie McKay live on Total Sport today, apparently.

Could be some interesting calls!!

Eh? What do you think the 'media' version of events is exactly, and why? If I am believing it it's probably because you still haven't told me the 'alternative' version.

Are you actually backwards? As i said I THINK this is more Barton being more of a cunt than the club. Its my opinion, there isnt an 'alternative version' im merely making up my own mind and coming to my own conclusions as to whats happening.