Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest WisconsinMagpie

I don't think you need to worry about Ashley's response, we know it will be to tell him to f*** off. That's Ashley's new way, unless a player actually wants to leave they are wasting their time with this sort of thing now Big Mike is in charge.

Not that that's always positive, obviously we could end up losing players we would rather keep.

Agreed. F*** off may be the appropriate response here, but it is a poor default response.

Thing is, it seems Ashley doesn't bluff. He will offer a player what he things they're worth and what NUFC can afford, and if they don't agree to it he'll happily let them go IMO.

Not that I think Barton will leave, it's just agent fluff.

Of course it is. s*** which people usually ignore.

But when it's a negative story involving NUFC, it's 100% definitely true and the owner is the worst man alive and those poor players are being hard done by.

You still hate Ashley and think nothing good in the long term will ever happen while he's at the club, though, right?

I don't think anything good will come from him in the long term at all, no.

But that doesn't mean I'll blame him for everything and anything that is happening, nor will I believe all of the players guff about 'wanting to stay forever', 'best club in the world' blah blah - that's not football in the modern day. Alot of players seem to be escaping any form of criticism when it comes to these sorts of situations.

All I can see from my point of view (which is how alot of the journos are reporting it) is that there is an offer on the table and he isn't signing it.

A lot of my suspicions are raised because precisely the opposite is true - every single one of our players/staff ends up getting criticised or maligned by the club. I think literally every one, without fail. Weird, don't you think?

Re: the journalists, all they're doing is telling us a 'club source' says a contract's been offered today, that's true. Why he isn't signing it or whether it's for three weeks and only pays him a bag of cheese and onion crisps, we don't know, that's true. But we'll never do anything with our lives if we don't try joining dots with everything that's gone before. Assuming this event isn't resolved in the next 6 hours, I'm sure it isn't merely agent blather and something significant will come out of it, given Barton, Mckay, Llambias and Ashley's respective reputations.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

And you've still not given a justification as for why. Which is also a joke.

Why are you believing the 'media' version of events without question?

Eh? What do you think the 'media' version of events is exactly, and why? If I am believing it it's probably because you still haven't told me the 'alternative' version.

Are you actually backwards? As i said I THINK this is more Barton being more of a cunt than the club. Its my opinion, there isnt an 'alternative version' im merely making up my own mind and coming to my own conclusions as to whats happening.

By the sounds of it, you've flipped a coin and let it make your mind up for you, no thinking required.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

Eh? What do you think the 'media' version of events is exactly, and why? If I am believing it it's probably because you still haven't told me the 'alternative' version.

Are you actually backwards? As i said I THINK this is more Barton being more of a cunt than the club. Its my opinion, there isnt an 'alternative version' im merely making up my own mind and coming to my own conclusions as to whats happening.

By the sounds of it, you've flipped a coin and let it make your mind up for you, no thinking required.

:facepalm:

Barton's not an idiot. I personally believe he wants to be here, and would go down to say £45k a week to make that happen.

I reckon it's the club however, who are unwilling to pay a player (who turns 29 in four months) such high wages.

:facepalm:

Indeed.

There goes the good spirit in the camp.

I doubt Joey is that great on the camp spirit side. He wasn't even part of it for most of the season we won promotion. In any case a player who is willing to move clubs to get the right deal isn't going to be one to instil team spirit at his current club.

Neither's one that'll take anything like a bitch...

You know for a fact that he's being offered a bad deal?

You know for a fact he isn't? Just pointing your last sentence was untrue and essentially nonsensical.

Essentially this is about Barton wanting the best deal possible v the club paying what they think he is worth. Barton might get a better offer somewhere else but I'd be surprised if it's a top side. Of those clubs mentioned, Villa is the only feasible one IMO but I don't think they will be in either. If he does leave it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Oh well. If we get our number 1 targets would he be first choice here anyway? We've made it clear a winger and striker are the priority so  could see something like

RM New winger (N'Zogbia?)

LM Jonas

CM Tiote & Nolan

AM Ben Arfa

CF New striker

Maybe him wanting guaranteed first team football has something to do with it, as well as us not been keen to offer big money contracts to squad members.

No-one in a position to offer him improved wages will bid for damaged Joey Barton imo. He'll only get offers for mid-to-low end Premiership clubs, and there's no point him leaving now, when in a years time those types of clubs may offer him higher wages due to the £0 price tag.

Anyway, it's all spin-bullshit from all parties involved. This is a long way from being cut-and-dry. I foresee that he'll re-sign, probably not for a couple of months though.

More concerned that this will provide the club with justification to sell him this summer.

He'll only leave for the right club and on the right terms. I recall he played hardball when we signed him and we ended up paying his loyalty bonus to overcome the stalemate he had with City.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Joey willing to compromise on wages but not length of contract end of!

He will be 31 when the next deal finishes. His next move will not be very lucrative.

This is his last big pay day and he wants to play until at least 32.

He will probably then retire!

Guest Wally_McFool

If he does leave it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

My guess would be Wigan or Bolton.

Exepct Willie McKay, I think the problem is that two worlds is colliding, so to speak.

Barton signed his contract pre Ashley and it´s obvious the wages he, Smith and Colo etc are way over that limit. New players wont get that kined of money. If they want more we want get them. This is the main problem. Expect the idiot agent Wille McKay.

Ok... so this appears to me to be primarily about the length of contract and not particularly the amount.

Thinking about this with my head rather than my heart, if I was in charge of the purse strings, I think I'd be quite cautious about handing out a 3 year contract to him.

To be fair, he appears to have sorted himself out, but even so, I'm sure there's been more than one occassion this season where Pardew has said "Barton has found it hard this week", "It's been a tough week for Joey", "He needs his head to be right to get the best out of him" etc. It only takes one occassion for him to have a breakdown that he can't control and he could have burnt his bridges. If that happens sooner rather than later (or never), we're stuck with a player with no use to us, and will be practically impossible to sell due to his age, attitude and salary. I get the impression there's a certain amount of walking on egg shells that goes on with Joey.

Heart speaking here, I'd hand him the 3 year deal, but if the reason above is the case for the breakdown, I think I can understand it in this particular instance.

I recognise your point, but in turn I also want to point out it's Pardew who's saying that and he doesn't have a great track record for man management (prior to coming here, I mean). He likes to think he's being clever when he makes these comments, and they don't necessarily relate to the reality on the ground. It doesn't change the fact there could be a bust up with a player on a longish contract, of course, but then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You could well be right, unfortunately it's one of those things that we won't really ever know as there is always varying versions of the truth. But, I personally can't see what benefit it would have coming out with these things if they were BS. And Barton himself has never made any grumblings that what he's saying isn't true. From what I've seen of Barton on the screen and judging by his past, and the fact that he's a man trying and possibly occasionally struggling to keep himself on the straight and narrow, the comments about him seem to fit the profile.

Maybe I'm naive and Pardew has other motives, or is trying to be clever.

I think it's a bit of both. Barton's head probably still rattles a bit when he walks, it's just more like a salt shaker and less like a bin bag full of conkers than it used to be. What's been corroborated by all sides is he (and others) went off on one (partly in terms of form) following Carroll going, as the squad all had their hopes pinned on him. There's definitely been fall out from that, even following the Arsenal game. Still, there aren't many things more dangerous than blokes like Pardew who think they've 'got a handle' on those kinds of people because they read something about it in a management book.

Guest neesy111

Barton still owe's this club big time, he's still been an horrific signing.  1 good season in 4 is a shocking return for someone on over £3m a season.

The club should not be offering him anything above 35k a week imo, if Barton thinks he's worth more then there is the door.

Oh well. If we get our number 1 targets would he be first choice here anyway? We've made it clear a winger and striker are the priority so  could see something like

RM New winger (N'Zogbia?)

LM Jonas

CM Tiote & Nolan

AM Ben Arfa

CF New striker

Maybe him wanting guaranteed first team football has something to do with it, as well as us not been keen to offer big money contracts to squad members.

Truthfully, I'd like to see someone else starting on the right ahead of him next season.

[/tin hat]

Barton still owe's this club big time, he's still been an horrific signing.  1 good season in 4 is a shocking return for someone on over £3m a season.

The club should not be offering him anything above 35k a week imo, if Barton thinks he's worth more then there is the door.

Even though he's currently one of our best players?

Oh well. If we get our number 1 targets would he be first choice here anyway?

No. Certainly not with Pardew as manager, anyway. Stunningly big if, though.

Exepct Willie McKay, I think the problem is that two worlds is colliding, so to speak.

Barton signed his contract pre Ashley and it´s obvious the wages he, Smith and Colo etc are way over that limit. New players wont get that kined of money. If they want more we want get them. This is the main problem. Expect the idiot agent Wille McKay.

Just for your information, he didn't come pre-Ashley. Ashley's responsible for his contract, as well as Smith's and Colo's.