Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Roger Kint

He clearly isn't going to get another contract at Newcastle, and so with just the 18 months left now, other clubs will be putting in pretty low bids.

To be fair with (£66k?) wages we might be able to get him to accept a more favourable amount towards £45-50k if hes committed and others wont. Naturally that involves a owner who would want to keep him which i dont beleive we have, affordability or not

Guest Roger Kint

Andy i said that a few weeks back regarding a new contract. Financially if he continues this form it will work out cheaper to persuade him to accept £50k a week(ish) than effectively replace him.

Not having a go at you in any way Roger, just picking up on something, but the very thought of "persuading" players of such modest talents as Joey Barton to "accept" 50,000 pounds a week shows why I am so revolted by football these days.

I don't mind the top players making their stupendous salaries, it is sheer averageness of the likes of Barton (or at our place Sidwell) picking up this kind of money that makes me want to stop bothering with the game any more.

No problem mate, i 100% agree. The Saylor contract gives me more disgust though

Guest Roger Kint

He has 18 months left on a contract. He could buy himself out if he wanted, his value is dropping every window so £3-4m+ is a silly amount in all fairness. Would rather keep him if he fancies the same contract they are giving Saylor....

Isn't the buy out cost based on wages? Given what he is apparently on we would still get a fair bit back.

As far as i know any player(after his 3rd year of a contract) can buy it out for the remainder. Any future deal he decides to set up would be a case of repaying it via signing on fee/wages instead of a transfer fee. Obviously his is a canny wedge but the chance is there.

Just under £3.5m a year by my estimations so about what we would get anyway. May aswell keep him or "risk" him buying it out.

I agree totally on keeping him, my point was he could use the option anyway if we asked for more. Its an unwritten rule anyway to say they wont exercise it

Andy i said that a few weeks back regarding a new contract. Financially if he continues this form it will work out cheaper to persuade him to accept £50k a week(ish) than effectively replace him.

Not having a go at you in any way Roger, just picking up on something, but the very thought of "persuading" players of such modest talents as Joey Barton to "accept" 50,000 pounds a week shows why I am so revolted by football these days.

I don't mind the top players making their stupendous salaries, it is sheer averageness of the likes of Barton (or at our place Sidwell) picking up this kind of money that makes me want to stop bothering with the game any more.

I don't know why people begrudge professional athletes for making as much money as they can. Yeah, they make ridiculous amounts, but that's what they're worth to their club/league/sport. Plus their careers, depending on the sport, are only a few years on average.

If you had a special skill and were in the top percentile in the world at applying that skill wouldn't you push for every last penny that you could make? Now pretend that you're not especially good at anything else and only have 10 years (generous in some cases) to earn your living.

I don't know why people begrudge professional athletes for making as much money as they can. Yeah, they make ridiculous amounts, but that's what they're worth to their club/league/sport. Plus their careers, depending on the sport, are only a few years on average.

If you had a special skill and were in the top percentile in the world at applying that skill wouldn't you push for every last penny that you could make? Now pretend that you're not especially good at anything else and only have 10 years (generous in some cases) to earn your living.

Yeah, of course I would.

I don't - and didn't in the above post - blame Joey Barton for one nanosecond for getting as much as he can out of it. I'd be filling my boots as well if i could.

I do blame professional football in this country for being sufficiently dimwitted and out of touch with reality to pay such mediocre players such absurd sums of money, whilst we, the paying punters, fork out through the nose on season tickets, sky subscriptions etc etc to fund it all.

The game in this country is heading for a very, very rude awakening.

Sidwell still at Villa? :lol:

All joking aside, sounds like our replacement for Barton. Did he play under Pardew?

He is still here.

I watched my first Villa match in 1973. I am honestly struggling to think of a single midfielder we've had play for us in any regularity since then who has impressed me less in the intervening 37 years. And I'm including some real dross in that consideration.

He's an absolute toilet of a player.

In fact, no, that's wrong. To be classed as a toilet, to earn any sort of classification, he'd had to do something to get noticed. He's the most anonymous player I have ever, ever seen.

Under MON he'd get used for 10-15 mins as a sub, and avoid the ball. Under Houllier, he is fortunately one of the players struck down in our injury crisis. He's the only one of them I am hoping has a setback.

And for that he's picking up, what, 45,000 pounds a week?

Wrong.

Barton's not particularly succeeded over the years at newcastle and he's let us down off the pitch at times, but he has shown this season that he is massively important to us staying up, that he's one of our best talents and that we're a far worse team without him.

it's inconceivable  to let him go (how many times have we said this under ashley?) unless the club is preparing to put every last penny of his transfer fee back into the side and, more to the point, has identified a new player to arrive in january who they think is better than Barton. however that's extremely unlikely as Pardew's just arrived - far more probable is simply the scenario Golfmag outlined - where Ashley wants rid of high-earners and brought pardew in as he is more likely to accept this than Hughton who could cause problems further down the line.

personally, given the qualities he's shown this season i'd say a player of his ability/nationality is worth perhaps £8m, though the off field issues inevitably reduce this amount by a few million as he's a bit of a nutcase. anything less than £5m though, with the money going on a suitable replacement, and we're idiots doomed for relegation again. we made these mistakes selling N'Zogbia/Given - let's not do it again.

and we're idiots doomed for relegation again. we made these mistakes selling N'Zogbia/Given - let's not do it again.

idle comment, but if we were to sell Ashley Young (three decent games, ten decent crosses in two years) and replace him with N'Zogbia, i wouldn't be too disappointed.

Yeah, of course I would.

I don't - and didn't in the above post - blame Joey Barton for one nanosecond for getting as much as he can out of it. I'd be filling my boots as well if i could.

I do blame professional football in this country for being sufficiently dimwitted and out of touch with reality to pay such mediocre players such absurd sums of money, whilst we, the paying punters, fork out through the nose on season tickets, sky subscriptions etc etc to fund it all.

The game in this country is heading for a very, very rude awakening.

Yeah, I guess I'm just used to it though. Every major sport in America is like that.

The way TV broadcasts are handled in England is what amazes me. I can watch every game of every local team in my area (NYC, so there are many) with just a basic cable subscription. You can pay extra if you want access to every single game in a single sport (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc.). I can't believe all PL matches aren't televised and available live.

Wonder if West Ham sounding out CMs means Scott Parker is gone in Jan?

For £8m apparently

God, I hope they come for Sidwell.

Where is Parker going?

Need i ask?

*wink*

Not really.

Villa want Keane for £6m, so do Wolves, Vancouver Whitecaps is also an option apparently.  If you get him, God help you!!

Villa want Keane for £6m, so do Wolves, Vancouver Whitecaps is also an option apparently.  If you get him, God help you!!

Nah.

I think our days of worrying about signing Keane to be over.

It wouldn't be too bad if we did sign him, anyway. The way things are at the moment, he'd just be injured within a couple of weeks and therefore unable to do any damage.

and we're idiots doomed for relegation again. we made these mistakes selling N'Zogbia/Given - let's not do it again.

idle comment, but if we were to sell Ashley Young (three decent games, ten decent crosses in two years) and replace him with N'Zogbia, i wouldn't be too disappointed.

wouldn't mind him at newcastle either :angry:

I'd be thrilled with those deals, considering Redknapp would probably pay well over the odds for Young (over-rated) and you could pick up N'Zogbia for a decent-ish fee. £20m has been mentioned for Young has it not? Reckon you could pick up N'Zogbia for £10m, that would be cracking business.

Remember people on here telling me what a great deal £6m was for N'Zogbia. :jesuswept:

He's the only thing keeping Wigan afloat.

Yeah, but he was miserable here and wouldn't have done us any good. Certainly would have left after getting relegated.

Remember people on here telling me what a great deal £6m was for N'Zogbia. :jesuswept:

He's the only thing keeping Wigan afloat.

Yeah, but he was miserable here and wouldn't have done us any good. Certainly would have left after getting relegated.

N'zogbia was miserable under Kinnear, certainly. kinnear lasted, what, a whole 5 days after we got rid of Insomnia?

he's hardly happy at Wigan yet still capable of contributing for them, and is in fact their best and most influential player.