The Other Leagues Thread

LucaAltieri

Nah, French football really is pretty retarded. I guess the teams are ok, but  the refereeing just kills the game, it's crazy.

Like for most things in France, common sense just seems to have gone for a ride.

Liga Sagres isn't going to be up to much for you then.

Ramirez, Saviola, Javi Garcia, Keirrison, Adu(maybe), Pablo Aimar, Luisao

:smitten: FORÇA BENFICA!

I even prefer to watch the German league ahead of the French, which by all means is a total slap in the face of the frenchies.

Meh. L'OM vs PSG > Munich Vs 1860  :razz:

Nah, i'd rather watch L'OM vs St Etienne, Lyon, PSG, Lens, Lille, Auxerre, Bordeaux over any Mainz, Koln, Stuggart, Hoffenheim related fixtures any day of the week. Personally speaking.

Guest Heneage

Nah, French football really is pretty retarded. I guess the teams are ok, but  the refereeing just kills the game, it's crazy.

Like for most things in France, common sense just seems to have gone for a ride.

Liga Sagres isn't going to be up to much for you then.

Ramirez, Saviola, Javi Garcia, Keirrison, Adu(maybe), Pablo Aimar, Luisao

:smitten: FORÇA BENFICA!

Bet you Benfica choke again.

Spain = England > Italy > Brazil > Germany > France in my opinion. I'd say Brazilian football is significantly better than French football.

This is nonsense. You think Brazil's awful league is better than Bundesliga and Ligue 1?! The only thing better is the natural talent, most of which is playing in Germany, France, Spain, etc. by age 18-20.

Bundesliga is imo the least entertaining league in Europe.

Bundesliga consistently has the most goals and good football is usually played.

Anyway, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga kicked off yesterday. l'OM handled Grenoble with relative without ease without playing Lucho, M'bia, etc. and using the Burkinabe as a makeshift right back. Still, good match to start the season. Not scared of Lyon or PSG, but Bordeaux continue to look good.

Wolfsburg picked up from last year and beat Stuttgart (Oba didn't debut yet). Hoffenheim drawed against Bayern. I think Hoffenheim will be in the upper reaches of the table come May.

Bundesliga is imo the least entertaining league in Europe.

Bundesliga consistently has the most goals and good football is usually played.

:lol:

Feel like falling asleep as soon as a German game comes on. Rather, I'd want to fall asleep. 'cause then I could dream about real football.

Spain = England > Italy > Brazil > Germany > France      in my opinion. I'd say Brazilian football is significantly better than French football.

This is nonsense. You think Brazil's awful league is better than Bundesliga and Ligue 1?! The only thing better is the natural talent, most of which is playing in Germany, France, Spain, etc. by age 18-20.

I had started to doubt myself about Ligue 1 after the fierce defence it has received. So I gave it a bit of a watch today... Lille vs. Lorient... last season they finished 5th and 10th respectively... fucking awful it was. Wouldn't look out of place in the fizzy pop League 2. It really is that bad. It's like they've taken the English game then sucked out all the money, talent, passion and heterosexuality.

Brazil, in contrast, is a real footballing nation. The standard of the average player is higher than just about anywhere else in the world... which is why you find Brazilians playing all over the world. The team game uses space and possession better than most and they keep the ball on the ground when they play unlike in the effeminate game of head tennis I witnessed between Lille and Lorient.

The game there is still about pride and beauty. It's still the common man's game. It might not have the same bling as the European game but there is still a lot of appeal for football in it's most rustic form.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8186049.stm

Argentina's football debt crisis.

The Argentine Football Association has announced that the start of the country's football season will be postponed because of clubs' growing debt.

The premiership - Primera A - was due to start on 14 August.

Last week, AFA President Julio Grondona postponed all the second division and regional games, saying the delay would give the clubs time to find millions of dollars in back-pay for players.

Twenty-one clubs are struggling with debt, including seven in the first division. The country's most famous teams - Boca Juniors and River Plate - are among the clubs affected.

European recession

Mr Grondona said that part of the reason for the clubs' debt problems was the global economic downturn.

European clubs - where many of the best Argentine footballers play - have been reducing their purchases of Argentine players because of the recession.

"The recession in Europe is making it very difficult for Argentine clubs, who very much depend on the sale of players," Mr Grondona told reporters last week.

"Clubs aren't getting what they usually get."

But many analysts in Argentina say that the real problem is the clubs' gross mismanagement of finances.

And Mr Grondona admits that the AFA may also have played a part in the financial chaos by bailing out the clubs in the past when they got into financial difficulties.

"[The clubs'] resources are now very low. Perhaps I was overly generous in the past, I gave them money, or rather AFA did, and this has given them the chance to spend even more," he said.

Critics of Mr Grondona argue that the AFA is also partly to blame for the current crisis by failing to help clubs organise themselves efficiently.

"Here club directors change constantly, they are elected and re-elected from within the club by their members," says Raul Gamez, former president of Club Atletico Velez Sarsfield in Buenos Aires.

The AFA should represent club interests rather than its own, says Mr Gamez, particularly in the sphere of television rights.

"The AFA should be fighting for clubs to get the largest share of television rights money and not keep it for itself," he says.

For their part, Mr Grondona and the AFA appear to be working hard to obtain a bigger share of TV rights.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday night, an AFA spokesman said that the postponement of the football would allow more time for negotiations to continue between the AFA and the authorities that manage TV rights.

The rights are not due to be reviewed until 2014.

Driven away

Sports analysts say the growing role of the "Barra Bravas" - violent groups of fans who demand money from the clubs in return for their unconditional support - is another factor contributing to the clubs' debt problems.

The "Barra Bravas" have been driving many ordinary supporters away from the stadiums, reducing clubs' incomes.

Eric Verschoor is a life-long fan and member of Club Atletico Velez Sarsfield. He has seen the "Barra Bravas" threatening directors and players with violence, getting involved in player transfer deals and ticket touting.

"Since everything has turned into a business, there are lots of power struggles and increasing violent deaths within the 'Barra Bravas'," he said.

"Innocent people get caught in the middle, so families no longer go to football matches."

Raul Gamez thinks that the AFA should deal with the violence within football, not the clubs.

"We've had 40 years of gradually increasing violence within Argentine football, and it's an extremely complex social issue," he says.

"The AFA should pay more attention to this."

By cancelling the Argentinians' beloved football a week before the main championship is due to begin, it seems clear that the AFA is trying to put pressure on the authorities responsible for TV rights to pass over more money to the clubs.

But it is also putting pressure on the clubs themselves to clean up their act and stay within their budgets.

Analysts say this may mean - in the short term - clubs buying younger, cheaper players and making lower salary deals.

In a light swipe at players' salaries, Mr Grondona suggested they could handle pay cuts easily since they were paid in dollars, giving them a very favourable exchange rate against the Argentine peso.

"Here players ask for dollars but live in Argentina using pesos," he explained.

Palmeiras 1 - 1 Botafogo

Avaí 1 - 0 Nautico (should be a good game if you can find it showing.)

It finished:

Palmeiras 1 - 1 Botafogo  A bit of a let down from Palmeiras who are still top of the league. Botafogo move up to 14th. I caught most of the second half. Botafogo were playing a flat back 10. Not the prettiest of games.

Avaí 2 - 1 Nautico Good result for Avaí. They're doing well lately. Goals from Eltinho and Marquinhos. FM players will know they are both quality.  :pow:

Tonight's games:

20:00 UK Corinthians v  Atlético MG

20:00 UK Sport          v  São Paulo         - Should be good for some goals.

20:00 UK Gremio          v  Flamengo        - Showing on bet365.

20:00 UK Fluminense FC v  Coritiba FBC

20:00 UK Goiás          v  EC Vitória

22:30 UK At.Paranaense  v  Gremio Barueri

22:30 UK Cruzeiro          v  Santos FC

Tonight, a title challenger clash in the Brazilian Serie A.

Palmeiras vs. Internacional Showing on Bet365 at 22.30

League table at present:

TEAM - PLAYED - POINTS

1. Palmeiras      - 19 - 37

2. São Paulo      - 20 - 36

3. Goiás            - 20 - 35

4. Atlético MG    - 19 - 33

5. Internacional - 18 - 33

League table at present:

TEAM - PLAYED - POINTS

1. Palmeiras       - 19 - 37

3. Goiás             - 20 - 35

4. Atlético MG     - 19 - 33

End-to-end stuff so far.

League table at present:

TEAM - PLAYED - POINTS

1. Palmeiras       - 19 - 37

3. Goiás             - 20 - 35

4. Atlético MG     - 19 - 33

End-to-end stuff so far.

Finished 2 - 1.

Good game to watch.

Internacional matched Palmeiras in every part of the pitch except in front of goal. If they had been more clinical then they'd have picked up points today.

Diego Souza was heavily involved in all aspects of Palmeiras' game today and was provider for both of the goals. He'd be a top player if he wasn't such a diving twat.

Internacional's goal - when it finally came - was a good one. Giuliano skipped two challenges and fired it into the top corner from 25 yards.

• 3 years later...