JFK

Guest sicko2ndbest

Still think he did not a bad job for us - under almost impossible circumstances. He seemed to lift the dressing room from the depressed state it was in - and his outburst at the press conference will be fondly remembered by many for years to come.

Hope he gets the Scottish job !

I don't think he did a terrible job (ie that we got worse results with him than we would have with Hughton as caretaker), but nor do I think he was working under "impossible circumstances", unless you are talking about the inadequacies of the squad he inherited or the actions of his bosses. Even so I think that there are many, many other managers out there that had they been given the job when he was, we would not have been relegated.

I hope he retires for his own sake.

I am indeed talking about just that, plus the incredibly low morale of the club and the untimely heart problem. Apart from that he had it easy. ;D

I think the main point about Joe's appointment was at the time (post Keegan) no one would touch us with a bargepole and at least he had the balls to come into the cauldron and take the job on.

He was never the man for this job long term but I always admire people who are brave enough to take on tough jobs and see them through, anyone can do it when the going is good and everything is plain sailing.

Still think he did not a bad job for us - under almost impossible circumstances. He seemed to lift the dressing room from the depressed state it was in - and his outburst at the press conference will be fondly remembered by many for years to come.

Hope he gets the Scottish job !

I don't think he did a terrible job (ie that we got worse results with him than we would have with Hughton as caretaker), but nor do I think he was working under "impossible circumstances", unless you are talking about the inadequacies of the squad he inherited or the actions of his bosses. Even so I think that there are many, many other managers out there that had they been given the job when he was, we would not have been relegated.

I hope he retires for his own sake.

I am indeed talking about just that, plus the incredibly low morale of the club and the untimely heart problem. Apart from that he had it easy. ;D

I think the main point about Joe's appointment was at the time (post Keegan) no one would touch us with a bargepole and at least he had the balls to come into the cauldron and take the job on.

He was never the man for this job long term but I always admire people who are brave enough to take on tough jobs and see them through, anyone can do it when the going is good and everything is plain sailing.

Those aren't "impossible circumstances" though, they come as standard for most teams in the premiership. As bad as they were relative to squads we'd had in the recent past they were nowhere near the worst squad in the league. At the start of the season, many on here were declaring it to be the best squad we'd had in years.

We've been through this before, but the reason noone wanted the job wasn't because it was Newcastle United the poisoned chalice, but because they were only being offered a 1 month contract. No in-work manager is going to give up their job for that, so you're already limiting yourself to those couldn't get a job in any league prior to the season starting. There are plenty of managers however who would have taken the job on even if they'd only been offered a 1 year contract.

If I was unemployed I'd have taken on the job had it been offered me even if I was on the lowest wage in the premiership and the contract was only for a month. Would you think I had balls for taking it? If I also had a known heart condition would you think I was brave or just stupid?

Kinnears desperate reign was blighted by his innecessant gibberings to the press as much as his poor results. He just couldn't open his mouth without making himself and the club look amateurish. I still don't know what he thought he would gain by coming out last summer, criticising the Newcastle fans and the mythical messiah complex that we all apparently have.

Kinnears desperate reign was blighted by his innecessant gibberings to the press as much as his poor results. He just couldn't open his mouth without making himself and the club look amateurish. I still don't know what he thought he would gain by coming out last summer, criticising the Newcastle fans and the mythical messiah complex that we all apparently have.

Aye I agree.

I didnt think his team did too badly. I certainly think we performed better under JFK than we did under Shearer. But after every match he would come out and talk utter utter shite. The man had verbal diarrhea. If we had a goal that was blatently offside he'd come out and argue the toss. If we were legitimatly beaten he'd come out and blame the ref. It got to the point where it was just unbearable.

Would he have kept us up? No I dont think so. Will we continue tooi see him in the press throwing his name into the hat for every job and talking utter bollocks at any given chance? Probably.

Wait so, you don't think his team did too badly, yet you don't think he'd have kept us up?

Eurgh, loathe the man. Absolute worst of the worst. He came out in the summer saying that staying up was going to be a doddle. Prior to that West Brom game where he was taken ill, we'd won 1 in 9, or something like that i think.

As bad as his record was, he probably still got better results than Hughton or Shearer did last season. His reign and our whole season never really recovered though after being thrashed by Liverpool. Whilst the blokes an absolute clown he did get us a handful of decent results.

As bad as his record was, he probably still got better results than Hughton or Shearer did last season. His reign and our whole season never really recovered though after being thrashed by Liverpool. Whilst the blokes an absolute clown he did get us a handful of decent results.

And we dropped crucial home points in quite a few of his games too. The man is an absolute clown.

I think if Kinnear didn't fall ill (so you discount Hughton #2 and Shearer reigns) then we would have stayed up by a few points.

i agree with you but if that was the case then im glad we went down because he would of been given a 2yr contract or something ridiculous like that

I think if Kinnear didn't fall ill (so you discount Hughton #2 and Shearer reigns) then we would have stayed up by a few points.

Disagree.

That January transfer window was a massive failure. Given and N'Zogbia out, Nolan/Taylor/Lovenkrands in turned out to be terrible business, and in particular the sale of Zog really hurt us. As Sir Bobby put it, we sold the last pair of (occassionally) effective legs in midfield, someone capable of creating and scoring goals from nothing, and replaced them with cloggers out of their depth in the Premiership.

We'd have gone down under Kinnear because of that window, irrespective of who was responsibe for the sales/signings.

Disagree.

That January transfer window was a massive failure. Given and N'Zogbia out, Nolan/Taylor/Lovenkrands in turned out to be terrible business, and in particular the sale of Zog really hurt us. As Sir Bobby put it, we sold the last pair of (occassionally) effective legs in midfield, someone capable of creating and scoring goals from nothing, and replaced them with cloggers out of their depth in the Premiership.

We'd have gone down under Kinnear because of that window, irrespective of who was responsibe for the sales/signings.

Top post couldnt agree more, Given is worth at least 6 points a season on his own and the sale of zog was the final nail in our premiership coffin.

Disagree.

With one man at the helm (okay, it's Kinnear) and not Hughton who was planning no more than a day ahead, or Shearer who came in with totally new fangled ideas and formations that clearly were going to take time to have any effect, we'd have done it imo. Having that stability would have seen us through - there's no way you can say we went down because of that window, because ultimately we went down by a single point, and were one goal away from rescuing ourselves at Villa Park. Our relegation was by no means a forgone conclusion.

We were down after losing late goals at home to City, Stoke and Wigan. Both Blackburn, Mackem and Hull results were absolutely dire aswell. Kinnear took us down like. Aye i'm a Shearer bumboy but we were down before he took control imo. Had Kinnear have had the squad well drilled and actually up for it, Shearer's no-mess philsophy wouldn't have gone down as such a culture shock with our collection of overpaid, effortless tossers. Even Nicky 'Lick-Managers'-Arses' Butt came out saying we hadn't had a coherent management structure for the whole season, until Shearer came in. Shearer was fighting a losing battle and it was largely down to Kinnear's bollocks regime.