Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 15/08/09 - post match reaction from page 22

JH

Guest Heneage

Guthrie or Butt, Nixon? (Or both).

Buttski. Guthrie he said would be "About" ready for Wednesday, but he made it sound like bench duty, hopefully Donaldson dropping down.

Guest toonlass

Bit late but my thoughts:

Harper - Not much to do, nearly made a balls up by changing his mind coming out for something then going back, Taylor hacked clear I think.

R Taylor - Much much better, defending and attacking. Great ball for Shola's 2nd.

Enrique - Pretty good, brilliant ball in for the 1st goal, still sometimes indecisive at the back but generally good.

S Taylor - Absolutely crunched somebody with a one footed tackle in a 50-50 on half time, played like a man possessed. Please don't go :(

Coloccini - Error in the 1st minute but otherwise ok, the confidence in him when we went ahead, like the rest of the team, was visible.

Smith - Had a mental 2 minutes, otherwise did his job. Get's deeper and deeper as the games on and was almost a 3rd centre half by the end.

Nolan - Fat mess.   :no: Was our worst player but deserves some credit for chasing that ball down in the corner for the 2nd goal. Nearly gifted Reading a goal by being unable to control a football, reminded me of an elephant trying to pick up a pea.

Barton - Did ok, mandatory booking. Probably out for 3 months now though.

Jonas - Usual from him, although he had 2 shots on target!!

Shola - Three goals, happy for him, a bigger miracle is that in the first half he lost the ball but chased back into his own half and slid in on the Reading guy and won it back. Will be s*** on Wednesday most probably :lol:

Carroll - I can't understand people saying he doesn't work hard, this boy grafts his nuts off. As already said though, needs some pace up there with him - and I mean a pacey goalscorer (i.e. not Lovenkrands)

Fans - When the players are on the pitch don't sing about Mike f***ing Ashley, if you want to sing about that c*** do it at half time or something

Hughton - Xisco and not Ranger was odd, but whatever. Brought on Geremi as a pisstake.

Reading - Either we were awesome or they were terrible

f*** right off man, we have every right to tell Ashley where to go. And we all supported the lads all the way through.

Yes we supported the lads but do you think the players want to hear anti-Ashley songs? It's probably all they have to hear about but for 90 minutes they get to play football and get away from the off the field shit. We want Ashley out! As if he didn't know man :lol: Get a grip

Maybe they do want to hear them, cos they are not keen on the bloke being there either are they? To be fair there was more pro-team chanting and pro-Bobby Robson chanting than anti-Ashley. This is the first time for most people that they have had to vent their feelings for the shite that Ashley has served up to us, if there was no anti-Ashley chanting it would have been more surprising and I would rather people were chanting inside the ground once or twice than stood outside the ground behaving like muppets every time a sky camera is turned on.

Nicky Butt doesn't deserve a place in the team at the moment, if only for the performances of the current players. That said, i'd probably drop Nolan for Guthrie - shoving Barton into the middle. I really don't like the idea of shoe-horning Guthrie onto the wing cos it's a waste of talent... but having Smith, Barton, Guthrie and Jonas all on the same pitch will win us games in this league.

or how about because he was our worst player in a season which saw us relegated

Don't want to poke anyone but got to say I was one of the people annoyed by how regular the Ashley chanting was going on. My opinion is simply that during the game we should be trying to create a supportive atmosphere to help the players as much as possible ('supporting the team', I guess you could call it!).

I might have been unlucky though, as I had a couple of complete mongs sat behind me, I suppose some people just go to the game to complain anyway... they were determined to criticise evey mistake to the Nth degree and hardly chirped up at all when something good happened.

I see the 90 minutes of the match as a great chance to forget the off field bollocks and just enjoy supporting NUFC for a bit.