Our tiny squad

Dave

I think people are over reacting with the size of our squad, compare it to other squads in this division and its basically the same and probably has more experience in it than most in this division, I think people need to realise this is not the premier league and youngsters can come in and do a job at this level,  tbf, if we were in the prem now alot of our youngsters would probably be on loan in this division.  I'm not saying its massive and could do with strengthening but its not as bad as most make out.

That doesnt determine that the youngsters would be some of the better players in the division though does it, which is what we need to expect promotion. There will be a massive drop in the ability of our side if we lose some of our better players to injury and can only bring in reserves in certain areas. With Guthrie/Barton out alone i think we become about 50% worse as a side let alone losing players in other areas like Jonas & Enrique.

The only reason its easy to be so optimistic about the kids is because we havent seen them tested at this level.

Any side in this division is going to suffer if they lose two of their most influential midfielders, none of them will be able to legislate for that. Jonas and Enrique I agree, we need cover for those two.

The only good thing is that we haven't really noticed the departure of any of the players who have left.

Was Michael Owen more useful to us than Nile Ranger? Nope.

Was Damien Duff more effective than a random midfielder from the reserves? Nah.

I agree the squad is too thin, but I think its ability to compete in football matches hasn't gone down at all because of the departures.

Only Beye will be missed.

:idiot2:

Based on nothing more than blind optimism.

Not at all, I'm saying that I agree our squad is too small.

But it hasn't got worse in terms of its ability to win football matches.

The only good thing is that we haven't really noticed the departure of any of the players who have left.

I agree the squad is too thin, but I think its ability to compete in football matches hasn't gone down at all because of the departures.

We have krul to thank for barely getting a draw against a side we beat twice last season. Ofcourse we're worse.

Perhaps start worrying about this, as fans, when results aren't coming?

Presuming a couple more go, 3 or 4 bodies in would suffice.

Might not be the best idea if the window's shut by then though.  It's obvious results will get worse as we'll get injuries.

We aren't going to get 10 points every 4 games.  :lol:

Might not be the best idea if the window's shut by then though.  It's obvious results will get worse as we'll get injuries.

I don't mean the management shouldn't do anything about it, but to me this thread seems like unnecessary pessimism; yes it's only 4 games but it's a better start than most imagined, surely?

It looks like you're still going to be winning football matches. And a few of the younger lads, by the law of averages, would surely be able to make a half-decent contribution?

I don't mean the management shouldn't do anything about it, but to me this thread seems like unnecessary pessimism; yes it's only 4 games but it's a better start than most imagined, surely?

It looks like you're still going to be winning football matches. And a few of the younger lads, by the law of averages, would surely be able to make a half-decent contribution?

Yeah I agree, I said earlier on things aren't as bad as they are made out.  I just don't think we should bury our heads in the sand either, which is likely what Mike will do.  :facepalm:

We have krul to thank for barely getting a draw against a side we beat twice last season. Ofcourse we're worse.

Based on nothing more than blind pessimism! :lol:

Nah, seriously, I stand by my point that other than as bodies to increase the numbers we won't miss the players that we have sold.

I thought it was a bit difficult to judge the youngsters on last night's evidence. Kadar was played alongside an inexperienced fullback which was hardly the best way to blood a youngster, and the midfield was a bit ponderous looking with Butt, Nolan and Geremi all starting which meant the supply to ranger wasn't going to be ideal.

I'd like to see them starting in a more balanced side before writing any of them off on that evidence.

I thought it was a bit difficult to judge the youngsters on last night's evidence. Kadar was played alongside an inexperienced fullback which was hardly the best way to blood a youngster, and the midfield was a bit ponderous looking with Butt, Nolan and Geremi all starting which meant the supply to ranger wasn't going to be ideal.

I'd like to see them starting in a more balanced side before writing any of them off on that evidence.

I agree, especially Kadar considering who he was alongside. Krul could possibly be excused for a bad night due to him having two young, fairly inexperienced fullbacks playing in front of him at CB.

Before Ronaldo or anyone else says it though, I still think Harper is the number one goalkeeper.