The end of diving? No.

Guest icemanblue

Ridiculous decision IMO... how can they now suddenly have changed their minds? In law for an appeal you need new evidence, presumably they looked at all the available video the first time around.

Was too much to ask that someone in the football powers at be would actually have the balls to stand up to the top players and top clubs it seems. Very disappointing.

Ridiculous decision IMO... how can they now suddenly have changed their minds? In law for an appeal you need new evidence, presumably they looked at all the available video the first time around.

Was too much to ask that someone in the football powers at be would actually have the balls to stand up to the top players and top clubs it seems. Very disappointing.

Agreed. Either make the ruling and stick by it or don't make it at all.

Would have set a very dangerous precedent if they hadn't backed down. Not condoning the diving but I can see why they've let him off with it.

That when people dive they should be punished? I think that's exactly the precedent we need to set.

For every disputed incident in every game?  ???

Would have set a very dangerous precedent if they hadn't backed down. Not condoning the diving but I can see why they've let him off with it.

That when people dive they should be punished? I think that's exactly the precedent we need to set.

They do get punished, they get booked..

They probablyy realised they could do it with Eduardo but never in a month of Sundays could they ever ban the likes of Rooney  or Ronaldo or anyone from Man U, Real Madrid, the Milan teams or Barcelona, so they most likely said ah feck it, it was easier before we got railroaded by the hysteria and we'll quietly forget about it.

OH FFS, UEFA show some fucking balls. The player dived clear as day anyone suggesting otherwise is simply talking out of their arse.

I didn't see any contact between the GK and the croation/brazilian but even if there was a small brush, that wasn't enough to knock a grown adult down to the ground.

I understand the point about singling Eduardo out, but they've got to set an example somewhere, if they don't it'll just coninue they way it has been with a bunch of dishonest people trying to con the officials. This decision basically says that if you get caught diving by video evidence, the likliehood is that we'll do nothing about it.

Every UEFA game is filmed, isn't it? They should seriously start dishing out bans for incidences that weren't caught by the refs, it's not like they don't make a pretty penny out of the whole circus. The whole "if the ref doesn't see it you get away with it" mentality is just wrong and encourages cheating.

The only way they can penalise a player retrospectively is if video evidence shows conclusively that there was no contact at all. That's not the case with Eduardo.

It was a daft, impulsive decision which hopefully they'll have learned from.

They do get punished, they get booked..

They don't though, because the referees don't have the balls to enforce the rules and they wouldn't be backed up by the authorities (as we've just seen, they're essentially spineless).

In every game there are maybe 5-10 incidents where a player goes down when he needn't. I'm not saying all of those are outright 'dives', but a lot of them are.

OH FFS, UEFA show some f***ing balls. The player dived clear as day anyone suggesting otherwise is simply talking out of their arse.

I didn't see any contact between the GK and the croation/brazilian but even if there was a small brush, that wasn't enough to knock a grown adult down to the ground.

I understand the point about singling Eduardo out, but they've got to set an example somewhere, if they don't it'll just coninue they way it has been with a bunch of dishonest people trying to con the officials. This decision basically says that if you get caught diving by video evidence, the likliehood is that we'll do nothing about it.

Exactly, I don't understand the argument that he was treated 'unfairly'. If UEFA had shown some backbone they could have used this as the first of many crackdowns on cheats.

As it is they've backed down and basically admitted that they aren't going to do anything to stop this diving ruining the top level game.

It was madness in the first place to single out and punish one player.

Why did they single out Eduardo? Presumably a question they can't answer themselves and the principal reason why they overturned the decision.

They were idiots to try something like this without thinking ahead a little bit. A real sign of their incompetence as an organization.

Guest The Libertine

It was madness in the first place to single out and punish one player.

Why did they single out Eduardo? Presumably a question they can't answer themselves and the principal reason why they overturned the decision.

They were idiots to try something like this without thinking ahead a little bit. A real sign of their incompetence as an organization.

media pressure. they have more say in football than the fans.

i dont care if he has been "singled out" really, if it wasnt him it should have been someone else and then punished others as and when.

If UEFA had shown some backbone they could have used this as the first of many crackdowns on cheats.

In that case why not punish the other players who dived that same weekend in one go? That way not only do you send out an emphatic message but you don't look like you've singled out one player for the sake of it.

Go through the video footage and you'll probably find an instance of diving in every single game last weekend. Punish them all, and you've set the new standard. Punish one player randomly and you've created a farce and look like an unprofessional and biased organization. Their aim afterall is to police the game fairly.

If UEFA had shown some backbone they could have used this as the first of many crackdowns on cheats.

In that case why not punish the other players who dived that same weekend in one go? That way not only do you send out an emphatic message but you don't look like you've singled out one player for the sake of it.

Go through the video footage and you'll probably find an instance of diving in every single game last weekend. Punish them all, and you've set the new standard. Punish one player randomly and you've created a farce and look like an unprofessional and biased organization. Their aim afterall is to police the game fairly.

I would have like to see that, no doubt. I'd love to see every game in the top divisions reviewed on video for diving... I suppose the problem might be that a system like that would take some setting up and staffing - UEFA were trying to react to the outcry about Eduardo instantly.

Maybe they made an error by acting like this rather than setting up a longer-term plan, but they've compunded the error by letting him off now IMO.

There wasnt any contact atall, thats why theyve been able to do him for diving.

Was worse than the one fowler apologised for v seaman.

I'm convinced there is contact. Not enough to make him fall though.

Told you all :D

Ive looked at it again, still dont see any. Cant see any knee catching his leg or anything, no idea what theyve looked at.