La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

I wouldn't be surprised if it still comes down to head-to-head, VI. I'd expect Real to win all their remaining fixtures with the possible exception of Mallorca. As you say, you've got 3 tricky away games.

Since we are reaching towards the end of the season, I thought about posting some attendance data for your perusal (wanted to wait for El Clásico to be added to Real Madrid's attendances)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=esp.1&seasontype=4&cc=5901

1  Barcelona  1,209,619  80,641

2 Real Madrid 1,118,000 69,875

3 Valencia 611,000 40,733

4 Sevilla FC 626,500 39,156

5 Atlético Madrid 581,000 38,733

6 Athletic Bilbao 491,500 35,107

7 Espanyol 351,130 25,080

8 Real Zaragoza 367,700 24,513

9 Deportivo La Coruña 341,568 22,771

10 Málaga 309,000 20,600

11 Sporting Gijon 324,500 20,281

12 Tenerife 295,000 19,666

13 Osasuna 257,500 18,392

14 Valladolid 268,732 16,795

15 Racing Santander 246,862 16,457

16 Villarreal 257,000 16,062

17 Xerez 234,200 14,637

18 Mallorca 178,209 12,729

19 Almeria 182,500 12,166

20 Getafe 171,800 11,453

Rubbish %s all over. They are here, they are there, they are everywhere etc... Mallorca showing again they are the Wigan of Spain with 50% attendance even with the incredible campaign they are pulling off. Athletic Bilbao with close to 90% tops the list, we are at 80%.

Really surprised about Real Madrid's rather low figure for their standards, thought with all the hype during preseason they would be up there with us, but so far their assistance is their lowest in recent years  :nope:

Also can't see why Atlético are moving to a 70k stadium given how badly they fill their current 54k one.

One think I'd like to ask. When PL clubs report assistance... is it tickets sold (with STs counted) or people through the turnstiles?

was watching the Mallorca Valencia game yesterday. Ever Banega got subbed and acted like a complete co(k to his coach....I suppose not so unexpected given his past behaviours. Good game nonetheless.

PS: Borja Valero looks a completely different player to his West Brom days.

Emery has had a few spats with players already, though. He thinks quite highly of himself (which he is entitled to, he has a few managerial records in his hands) and has a strong personality.

I don't think he's done anything special at Valencia given the caliber of players at his disposal, myself.

Valero has been one of Mallorca's best players. He was always a promise, but I guess the English game didn't suit him.

Guest Treks

@ Village Idiot, Good point on how Madrid will react to the defeat. I remember last season, Under Ramos they notched up something like 17 ish wins in 19 ish games going into Clasico. Obviously we know what happened. There next game they travelled to Villarreal i think it was. Epic late drama, Higuain i think it was scored late to level the game 2-2 then as they chased it Villarreal nicked a late winner. Catalan born Capdevila with it.

As for last nights Mallorca vs Valencia game. Interesting team selection by Emery. Leaving Villa and Silva both on the bench. If they needed to be rested because they got 3 games ina week i would have rested them for the home game vs Depor. Mallorca away, Where only 2 sides have gone and won. (sevilla with 10 men, Negredo sending off which was very soft and obviously barca won there a few weeks back) was a very strange decision indeed by the coach. Even when Alba scored to make it 2-1 IMO he should have sent Villa on. But instead takes off dominguez for vicente. Then later brings on Silva for Banega. Talking about Eva IMO he deserve to go to the WC with the Argies. He can win the ball back as good as mascherano and pass/shoot as good as veron and is most def a better player than Gago.

As for the game Webos pace was tormenting the make shift Valencia back four and if he could finish better he could have easily scored 4 or 5 goals. Castro was brilliant also, Whenever ive seen him play he has impressed me.

Amazing how Mallorca over the seasons manage to sell all there best players and still overachieve. Jonas, Guiza, Moya, Arango to name a few.

Stupid decision by the Spanish FA today. They have decided to move the Cup final from the originally designated Santiago Bernabéu to the Camp Nou, to ensure the venue is more neutral. But even if Bernabéu would have had a majority of Atlético fans, Madrid is very accessible from Sevilla (less than two hours by train), now Sevilla fans face a much more annoying haul if they are to travel to Barcelona to see the game  :idiot2:

Although rumor goes that the Real reason is Madrid didn't want to see Atlético potentially winning a trophy in their turf. Unlucky year for them  :iamatwat:

The big problem is the lack of available dates for the final if Atlético go all the way in Europe, since it would clash with the pre-WC friendlies.

Just checked. Tickets for the general public will only be made available the day before the match. Club members can start purchasing them today. So yes, impossible (at regular prices).

Cheers. They'll go for mental prices if they get sold by touts etc wont they?

There's a chance we'll be going to Barcelona for that week if things go as planned. Could go the Xerez game I guess, but the chances are half the team will be rested for the Champions League - bit of a dissapointment. I've wanted to go to the Nou Camp for years so it'll be a kick in the balls if the rest of the family do decide to go that week, will try to persuade them to wait until a better fixture because for me the football would have been the best bit of the trip.

Just checked. Tickets for the general public will only be made available the day before the match. Club members can start purchasing them today. So yes, impossible (at regular prices).

Cheers. They'll go for mental prices if they get sold by touts etc wont they?

Pretty much, the prices are mental already, €75 cheapest ticket in the top tier  :lol: (I wouldn't mind paying that if I was there, mind, still have great memories of our AC Milan semifinal home leg, and that was a 0-0 bore draw!).

Nope. Elche, Murcia, Alicante... all second flight clubs nowadays.

However, if you're willing to trip a little bit further, Almería plays Real Madrid tomorrow. That's probably a two hour drive, though, maybe a bit more, and only the most expensive tickets remain available. You can buy them online here if you want:

http://www.entradas.com/entradas/comprar-almeria_zona

You can check where each location is here:

http://www.udalmeriasad.com/udalmeria/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=39&Itemid=68

Shevchenko scored.

He fouled Puyol  :aww:

It was a nailbitting match, but overall both sides were pretty scared and a bit s***.

He didn't :razz:

I was there!!!! http://images.redcafe.net/images/smilies/wenger.gif

(whistle went off before the ball got to the goal, though, Valdés didn't even try to save it)

On serious news, the player strike for this weekend has been called off, after the Spanish FA reached an agreement with Spanish FPA to ensure funds for the payment of defaulted wages in the Spanish third and fourth flights.