La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

Etxeberría just been subbed off at San Mamés amidst a standing ovation. He's retiring and has been playing this season for free as a last gift to the club. Legend.  :clap:

Just had a look at his wiki that says he's only 32. Seems no age to retire, has he had bad injury problems?

Burnout I think. He peaked very soon, was playing 30+ games a season when he was 17.

I'm always nervous. I have lived through enough last week upsets (both for and against us) to not say it's over until it's over. Valladolid are shit, but Clemente has lifted them since he took over and he's king of the 10-men behind ball business. I still have nightmares of the "Jai Alai" Bilbao defences of the 1980s.

Guest neesy111

I'm always nervous. I have lived through enough last week upsets (both for and against us) to not say it's over until it's over. Valladolid are shit, but Clemente has lifted them since he took over and he's king of the 10-men behind ball business. I still have nightmares of the "Jai Alai" Bilbao defences of the 1980s.

Last day La Liga

Rivaldo's Hat trick v Valencia possibly the best hat trick i've seen

I'm always nervous. I have lived through enough last week upsets (both for and against us) to not say it's over until it's over. Valladolid are s***, but Clemente has lifted them since he took over and he's king of the 10-men behind ball business. I still have nightmares of the "Jai Alai" Bilbao defences of the 1980s.

Last day La Liga

Oh yes. And it was an important one. Rivaldo was such a great player... our lack of success in Europe during that time probably prevented him of getting the recognition he deserves, imho.

Guest neesy111

I'm always nervous. I have lived through enough last week upsets (both for and against us) to not say it's over until it's over. Valladolid are s***, but Clemente has lifted them since he took over and he's king of the 10-men behind ball business. I still have nightmares of the "Jai Alai" Bilbao defences of the 1980s.

Last day La Liga

Oh yes. And it was an important one. Rivaldo was such a great player... our lack of success in Europe during that time probably prevented him of getting the recognition he deserves, imho.

yeah i remember, you had to win to get into champions league.

great great player, i think people over look him when you talk about best players in last 15-20 years, as he's right up their

Rivaldo was just as good as Zidane. Maybe not as classy on the ball but for pure effectiveness and entertainment value he was incredible.

I think the Turkey incident and the fact he's sold out the latter years of his career go along way to distracting from just how good he was.

Guest Roger Kint

Rivaldo was just as good as Zidane. Maybe not as classy on the ball but for pure effectiveness and entertainment value he was incredible.

I think the Turkey incident and the fact he's sold out the latter years of his career go along way to distracting from just how good he was.

He just didnt have the consistant game that Zidane had, as a one off performance he could stand above anyone on his day. Remember his halfway line goal that pissed on Beckhams?

He just didnt have the consistant game that Zidane had, as a one off performance he could stand above anyone on his day. Remember his halfway line goal that pissed on Beckhams?

Yeah i'd agree with the consistency thing. Rivaldo used to try something amazing everytime he picked up the ball, when it came off it was incredible, when it didn't he looked a bit silly.

Aye that goal was awesome. He scored lots of awesome goals.

There's suspicion that Gijón - who have nothing to play for - may throw the game against relegation-threatened Racing. Both sets of fans are friends, and Cantabria's (the region of which Santander is capital) president has met with several Gijón supporter groups this week and has issued an appeal to them to "come and cheer for Racing". Gijón supporter groups have already made banners and scarves with both teams' badges and expressions of friendship. 

Gijón's manager Preciado, who's Cantabrian and spent part of his playing and managing career at Racing, has denied it.

One of the biggest ironies is to see all the Madrid press fawning over Javi Clemente this week, since Madrid press has always slagged him since his days of Spain manager, and Clemente hates HATES Real Madrid. Hopefully the irony won't be complete and we'll win anyway!

So, so nervous.

Marca's cover today with Clemente-Superman.

http://estaticos01.marca.com/imagenes/2010/05/16/g1605.jpg

VI. us in the betting thread are wanting to know what sort of team valencia are likely to put out. whats the word then ey ? read or heard anything ?

Rumor is that they will be lining up the second string like they have been doing the past two games since they clinched third, but I just checked their squad and is a strong one (Villa, Silva, Mata, Bánega... all in it). Since it's Villa's possibly last game with them, in front of their fans... they might go for it. Sorry for not being more conclusive.

VI. us in the betting thread are wanting to know what sort of team valencia are likely to put out. whats the word then ey ? read or heard anything ?

Rumor is that they will be lining up the second string like they have been doing the past two games since they clinched third, but I just checked their squad and is a strong one (Villa, Silva, Mata, Bánega... all in it). Since it's Villa's possibly last game with them, in front of their fans... they might go for it. Sorry for not being more conclusive.

no probs. better than nothing. thinking of including them in a an accumulator. may leave it as late as possible and hopefully get the starting 11.

Fuck I hate not being in Barcelona right now. The streets are swarming with people partying, singing and dancing.

Pretty sure now that I'm most surely moving back there after 7 years we'll hit another barren spell and win fuck all until I move out again  :angry:

I've just been having a random thought about some of the great players Barca have had over the past twenty years or so, and how difficult it would be to pick a balanced XI from that.

Take a look at some of the forwards they have had for example:

• Ronaldo
  • Romario
  • Messi
  • Rivaldo
  • Ronaldinho
  • Stoitchkov

Then you've got some great midfielders such as Xavi, Guardiola and Michael Laudrup.

Absolutely mind boggling.

Aye, we are living through a golden age of the club. Before the summer of 1990 we were barely "best of the rest" in La Liga, I wouldn't have believed that 20 years later we would be in the position we are in, playing the way we do, admired by so many.

I still blame this man:

http://members.fortunecity.es/mariosh/Jugador_es_archivos/BCN2.jpg

He showed us the way.