Marlon Harewood

Dave

I reckon the number 9 should be respected, call it meaningless but it's nice to have a little tradition.

We don't have to wear black and white stripes next season but there'd be uproar if we didn't.  :cheesy:

A nice little tradition? It's a load of mythical bullshit. We've had some absolute dross wear it over the years, just since we've had Andy Cole we've been spoilt in that respect.

Yes tradition, you are aware tradition can start at any time in history?  The number is always heavily associated with Newcastle anyway and its not surprising considering those who have wore it.

It's not, I agree. However this "tradition" has been heightened ever since we signed Shearer. I can't say I'm arsed one bit by whoever wears it as long as they score goals on the pitch.

It may have been heightened since Shearer but it was always special, the greatest players in our history have worn the shirt, like the number 7 at Man U.

Like I said before we could get rid of the black and white stripes, I take it you don't mind about this either?

Guest The Libertine

shearer will be the last true great to wear the number 9. time to move on.

Thanks Mystic Meg, any idea when the club will be sold as well?

who are you expecting to come in to live up to the expectations you're piling on the number?

who are you expecting to come in to live up to the expectations you're piling on the number?

I'm not saying we shouldn't give the number 9 out until we sign Torres or something, I'm just saying we shouldn't give it out willy nilly.

As for your comment about Shearer being the last great to wear the 9, I meant how do you know this?  We might sign or produce another great no.9 in ten years time.

My mate is a Wolves fan and they had Harewood on loan last season. Said he was terrible and the fans were getting on his back after a couple of games cos he was so bad. Therefore our patient set of supporters may be just what he needs  :rolleyes:

shola was shit at stoke.

couldn't care less about the no9 shirt.

I reckon the number 9 should be respected, call it meaningless but it's nice to have a little tradition.

We don't have to wear black and white stripes next season but there'd be uproar if we didn't.  :cheesy:

A nice little tradition? It's a load of mythical bullshit. We've had some absolute dross wear it over the years, just since we've had Andy Cole we've been spoilt in that respect.

Yes tradition, you are aware tradition can start at any time in history?  The number is always heavily associated with Newcastle anyway and its not surprising considering those who have wore it.

It's not, I agree. However this "tradition" has been heightened ever since we signed Shearer. I can't say I'm arsed one bit by whoever wears it as long as they score goals on the pitch.

It may have been heightened since Shearer but it was always special, the greatest players in our history have worn the shirt, like the number 7 at Man U.

Like I said before we could get rid of the black and white stripes, I take it you don't mind about this either?

Don't be absolutely ridiculous.

Practically, the colour the team wears is meaningless the same way numbers are, teams keep the same colours because of history and tradition and this is the reason I believe we should respect the no.9 and not give it out to the likes of Harewood on a 2 month loan.  Come out with rubbish like "don't be ridiculous" all you want but its the same principle (albeit different levels of severity).

Edit- Instead of the shirt colour example what about the badge? Would you be bothered if we changed that? We've done it in the past.

Happy with this signing if only to calm down the hyperactive on here.

"Why the fuck hasn't he signed yet!!!!"

"If we sign him closer to the Ipswich game he will be available for another game"

"Oh right, sorry  :blush:"

"Why the fuck haven't we signed him yet!!!!"

:laugh:

Practically, the colour the team wears is meaningless the same way numbers are, teams keep the same colours because of history and tradition and this is the reason I believe we should respect the no.9 and not give it out to the likes of Harewood on a 2 month loan.  Come out with rubbish like "don't be ridiculous" all you want but its the same principle (albeit different levels of severity).

Then what happens if we don't get promoted? Should nobody ever be worth the magic number 9?

Guest The Libertine

I'm not saying we shouldn't give the number 9 out until we sign Torres or something, I'm just saying we shouldn't give it out willy nilly.

As for your comment about Shearer being the last great to wear the 9, I meant how do you know this?  We might sign or produce another great no.9 in ten years time.

we might. was martins worthy of the number 9 in your opinion?

Then what happens if we don't get promoted? Should nobody ever be worth the magic number 9?

Nope, I never said that either.  But I would prefer it going to a local lad like Shola or Carroll rather than when we bring in some journeyman striker.

Let's just forgot out it though, eh? Different strokes for different folks. Just don't come crying to me when we're playing in red and white stripes next season.

Just kidding.  :aww:

am guessing harewood wont be fit enough to go straight into the team on sat??

Then why the fuck would we bring in a player on a 3 month loan that will need two or three weeks to get fit? Why not take him in three weeks when he'll at least be fitter surely.

I hope you're wrong, unfit AND shit is all we need.

#9 Dream by Lennon.  :fwap:

A million times more palatable!!!

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath from the same charts was quite good too !

Wasn't No9 dream the B side of Mind Games ?