Our midfield

Guest rosstoon

Guest rosstoon

Talking to e afew mates over the weekend, none of which are Newcastle fans, they were saying that they reckon weve got the best midfield outside the top 6 in the premier league. After thinking for a while I dont think i could argue. Anyone else thikn this

Guest rosstoon

No it was a conversation mate with some friends. But when you put it down on paper its hard to see many in the pl who are better.

We lack anyone decent for the right wing though, Jonas has a questionable impact, Barton has rarely performed in the Prem and Smith looks horrible in that division.

On paper our team wasn't bad enough to go down, we're at least as good as the likes of Blackburn and Bolton. Problem is the players never performed, for whatever reason.

Guest rosstoon

I agree on the RW issue, I said this yesterday to give us the balance we need to get someone in but we wont as we have enough mids.

Guest Roger Kint

Just off the top of my head here.

Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs, Villa, Man City, Sunderland, West Ham all have better while most others can no doubt argue that their midfields have that strange mix of pace, tackling and actual running that our lot struggle with.

Its easy to fall into the mindset ours is actually good given the shambolic performers we have faced so far, it was only a few months ago most fans complained at the lack of quality we have. We dont have a RW, we have a LW who doesnt create and in between a collection of past it/useless players plus Guthrie and Barton. Not exactly something i want to brag about after last seasons disgrace.

Guest rosstoon

Lack of quality in midfiled steemed from the players who were playing there. A lot of the time we didnt have smith, barton, guthrie. It was the likes of Nicky Butt and rubbish like that. The last time I saw a midfiled put as much work rate in as smith was Parker. I know we are in the 2nd tier but tihs midfiled that we have seem to play together and are united and show a bit of passion.

Guest rosstoon

Given that we had the worst midfield in the Premiership last season, and this was the main reason we went down, I think I'd find it hard to argue we now have the 7th best in the country.

Yeh it was what people were saying not neccesarily myself. But when you people were saying whos in boltons, fulhams, Hull, sunderland, blackburn, stoke, birmingham, burnley, I said about 8th

We look good in the Championship because our weaknesses aren't so much of a problem.

No pace? Doesn't matter, the game is slower. Give the ball away? No problem, so do the opposition, you rarely get punished.

We don't have a bad midfield when they're all fit, but if we go up we will need to strenghten it and add some dynamism/pace for sure.

Given that we had the worst midfield in the Premiership last season, and this was the main reason we went down, I think I'd find it hard to argue we now have the 7th best in the country.

Yeh it was what people were saying not neccesarily myself. But when you people were saying whos in boltons, fulhams, Hull, sunderland, blackburn, stoke, birmingham, burnley, I said about 8th

Week in, week out the midfield was noticably the weak link in a relegated side. I don't see how you can possibly explain how it's the 8th best in the premiership now.

On paper and player's past reputations we have a class midfield.

In reality most of those players are shit, living off past glories and barely doing enough to justify their superstar wages.  Butt's numerous England caps mean nothing since he can barely pass the ball any more, Smith's goals are meaningless since he no longer plays up front (and rarely shoots), Geremi's Premier League winners medal may as well be made out of chocolate since he's unable to keep up with play.

Talking to e afew mates over the weekend, none of which are Newcastle fans, they were saying that they reckon weve got the best midfield outside the top 6 in the premier league. After thinking for a while I dont think i could argue. Anyone else thikn this

:spit:

Guest Roger Kint

Lack of quality in midfiled steemed from the players who were playing there. A lot of the time we didnt have smith, barton, guthrie. It was the likes of Nicky Butt and rubbish like that. The last time I saw a midfiled put as much work rate in as smith was Parker. I know we are in the 2nd tier but tihs midfiled that we have seem to play together and are united and show a bit of passion.

Am quite worried that you actually beleive that. Seriously Smith is rubbish. Sure Barton and Guthrie are good players but both havent performed at the highest level for a while.

Maybe i should start a thread on how we have the 2nd best defence in the country? Shola is in the top 5 stikers in the country?

No

Is this a joke?

Totally agree - wing positions are very poor, and no creativity(which is why we went down last season).

The midfield is OK at this level, with plenty of bite(Smith),movement(Barton and Nolan), but we WILL struggle to create decent chances unless they arrive courtesy of mistakes by defenders(more likely at this level)or by crosses from full-backs. We badly need a creative midfielder behind the front players and we would look moderate against most Prem sides in the Top 8, never mind top 5...