Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

I absolutely can't stand him. There is a reason he was number 2 for 25 years...he's not good enough! (Admittedly, he is a canny shot stopper)

He doesn't command his area at all, and so many times puts pressure on our back 4 by not making decisions, and leaving the pressure on them when he should be taking pressure off them. So many times he should be coming for balls, but doesn't. Less experienced defenders would panic with him behind them.

He is too quiet too. He never organises and shouts at his defenders as good keepers do (ala Schmeichel, and no, I am not comparing the 2..Harper isn't Scottish Div 3 quality compared to Schmeichel)

And he's so f***ing slow. When Krul came on, he was looking to set the attack away quickly, before Swansea had a chance to get re-organised. You never see that with Harper.

Would be delighted if he f***ed off.

Harper for England??? f*** off!

Tin hat.

You'd be delighted if he fucked off? You're bright.

Aye, thats what I said. Maybe brighter than you..who knows? :idiot2:

Aye, lets get rid of him. I mean, we've conceded less than any other team in the league, with the next best team having conceded 50% more goals, and he's made absolutely no errors this season whatsoever. But let's get rid, he's too quiet.

Not just too quiet..just not good enough? Do you think when we get back in the premiership, and heaven forbid we aspire to better things, such as pushing for a European place, that he is good enough? Just my humble opinion, but I certainly dont!

This is the exact same discussion I had in the NUMBERWANG striker thread.

We're not in the Premiership.

We're years away from pushing for a European place.

If we want to build and change things up if we get promoted, go for it. By all means throw Krul in net later in the season when we win promotion with 10 games to go, but why shake things up now. I don't think Harper is particularly amazing, but I do think he's one of the best keepers in our (shit, shit) league.

I agree that we are not in the Premiership. I agree that he is one of the best keepers in our (shit, shit) league (doesn't mean I like him, I don't like Barton either, but he would be one of the best midfielders in our (shit, shit) league if he was playing). I don't necessarily agree that we are years away from pushing for a European place. Yes, if Ashley doesn't sell, you are dead right. But who actually knows what will happen in the next couple of years? The Man City takeover came as a surprise to most of their supporters, whats to say it wont happen to us? We all assume it won't happen to us cos Ashleys a wanker, but none of us KNOW what will happen. In the event of promotion and hopefully progression, Harper isn't good enough, for the reasons I gave earlier

Harper is easily a Premiership goalkeeper, what is this nonsense about wanting to sell him ffs.

Totally disagree. He is a Championship level keeper.

He's better than most in the prem tbf.  I'd say he's better than the likes of Foster, Gomes, Myhill, Hahnemann etc.

Agree with that, he did a very good job for us in the Premiership, think he's quality.

Sell Harper? Is that a joke..... or the one of the most stupid opinions i have come across on this board?

England could and have done alot worse lately. Its a complete no brainer he should be kept. Any other keeper of his obvious quality would have walked out on us years ago. I was amazed he stayed his loyalty should now be rewarded.

Ok he's not as good as Schmeichel. No one currently is. Schmeichel was arguably the best keeper, certainly one of the greatest keepers of all time.

By that logic lets get rid of S Taylor because he's not as good as Rio Ferdinand and get rid of Nolan our top scorer because he's not as good as Pele.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some people are a bit thick at times.

Crazy. With people like Carson and Robinson having been in contention, I don't see it as too big as jump. Robinson isn't even a championship keeper and Harper is still better than him. Even the the discussion wasn't about premiership quality, to sell him bceause you don't like him as a premiership keeper is insane.

Sell Harper? Is that a joke..... or the one of the most stupid opinions i have come across on this board?

England could and have done alot worse lately. Its a complete no brainer he should be kept. Any other keeper of his obvious quality would have walked out on us years ago. I was amazed he stayed his loyalty should now be rewarded.

Ok he's not as good as Schmeichel. No one currently is. Schmeichel was arguably the best keeper, certainly one of the greatest keepers of all time.

By that logic lets get rid of S Taylor because he's not as good as Rio Ferdinand and get rid of Nolan our top scorer because he's not as good as Pele.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some people are a bit thick at times.

the motto of the internet.

I absolutely can't stand him. There is a reason he was number 2 for 25 years...he's not good enough! (Admittedly, he is a canny shot stopper)

Most goalkeepers are you plum. If your a goalkeeper & you are struggling with shot stopping the following link will be handy:

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

I really rate Harper. Didn't deserve to be a number 2 for all those years (should have moved club, not taken Givens place).

Imagine that. He waits 13 years, gets in the first team, doesn't put a foot wrong and we release him. The lad would kill himself.

MyPalAl, either a WUM or a lunatic.

MyPalAl, that's a hugely ignorant statement

Definition:

'ignorant

adjective 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.'

Been ST holder for 17 years, so I think to be accused of being ignorant regarding Harper is incorrect.

Nothing will stop me thinking that Harper is shit, and no, I am not a WUM. Also, if shit for brains posters look at my original post, they will see that I didn't mention anything about selling him, I merely stated that I 'Would be delighted if he fucked off.' Don't think we would get fuck all (from a Premiership club) for him!

Definition:

'ignorant

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 

3. uninformed; unaware.

Been ST holder for 17 years, so I think to be accused of being ignorant regarding Harper is incorrect.

Nothing will stop me thinking that Harper is shit, and no, I am not a WUM. Also, if shit for brains posters look at my original post, they will see that I didn't mention anything about selling him, I merely stated that I 'Would be delighted if he fucked off.' Don't think we would get fuck all (from a Premiership club) for him!

To add to the knowledge you automatically get from being a ST holder, here are some comparative facts from when Harper has played regularly.

06-07
	games	shots	conceeded	shots per goal	goals per shot	save %	goals per game
Harper	16.1	72		18			4					0.25				75		1.12	
Given	20.9	98		27			3.63				0.28				72		1.29	

07-08
Harper	19.9	103		28			3.68				0.27				73		1.41	
Given	18.1	91		37			2.46				0.41				59		2.05

08-09
Harper	16		83		22			3.77				0.27				73		1.38
Given 	22		109		37			2.95				0.34				66		1.68

Definition:

'ignorant

3. uninformed; unaware.

Nothing will stop me thinking that Harper is s***, and no, I am not a WUM. Also, if s*** for brains posters look at my original post, they will see that I didn't mention anything about selling him, I merely stated that I 'Would be delighted if he f***ed off.' Don't think we would get f*** all (from a Premiership club) for him!

Fair enough then. Let all hope he f***s off for absolutely nowt quicksharp too  :idiot2:

Those of you who where at the game today, will have seen that, on 10 mins and 42 mins, he perfectly vindicated my comments about him. The bloke is a liability and a fucking clown. Thank fuck we have a good back four to bail him out. Fucking clown.

Those of you who where at the game today, will have seen that, on 10 mins and 42 mins, he perfectly vindicated my comments about him. The bloke is a liability and a fucking clown. Thank fuck we have a good back four to bail him out. Fucking clown.

Why, what did he do? I wasn't there, but I heard the radio commentators when he made some good saves.

Harper a clown? He may not be the very best keeper around but he is hardly a clown. Maybe he is a poor mans Shay Given but we could do far worse than him. He has never really let us down and has saved us some points this season no doubt. We have far more pressing concerns than our goal keeping department, IMO even if we get back to the Prem, goalkeeper is one of the last areas of our club I would look to change.