Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Not being tested much this season to be able to tell beyond the last minute save which was impressive.

But as a prem keeper, i think hes about average really.

I think he has made some quality reaction saves this season and as you say he isn't having that much to do which makes them all the more impressive imo.

Average premiership keeper, wish we had more.

Not being tested much this season to be able to tell beyond the last minute save which was impressive.

But as a prem keeper, i think hes about average really.

I think he has made some quality reaction saves this season and as you say he isn't having that much to do which makes them all the more impressive imo.

Average premiership keeper, wish we had more.

Average premiership keepers?

Probably in the same Premiership bracket as the likes of Sorensen, Schwarzer & Jaaskelainen. Obviously not what we've been used to the last 8 years, but will still do a job in the Premier League.

Schwarzer has been superb for Fulham. Never rated him that highly / realised he was any good at boro but he's been class there, as good as anyone in the league I reckon.

I think their ultra-defensive tactics helped mind. Think they had one of the best defences in the league, and 3 of their back 4 were Konchesky, Hughes & Paintsil who are average at best.

They defend well, but he's been superb. Fantastic shot stopper and bosses the defence well. I thought it was a nothing signing but he's done brilliantly there. Apart from Reina (and maybe that one who used to be here) no-one stands out as being any better than him.

Probably in the same Premiership bracket as the likes of Sorensen, Schwarzer & Jaaskelainen. Obviously not what we've been used to the last 8 years, but will still do a job in the Premier League.

Jussi and Schwarzer are good to very good keepers. Sorenesen is average at absolute best and not as good as Harper in my book.

Jussi and Schwarzer are good to very good keepers. Sorenesen is average at absolute best and not as good as Harper in my book.

I agree,and there's no anti mackem bias here,Steve Harper,for me is easily in the best 3 English keepers .And showing anti mackem bias,is better than any of their custodians....yes...even the 9 million quid one.

I absolutely can't stand him. There is a reason he was number 2 for 25 years...he's not good enough! (Admittedly, he is a canny shot stopper)

He doesn't command his area at all, and so many times puts pressure on our back 4 by not making decisions, and leaving the pressure on them when he should be taking pressure off them. So many times he should be coming for balls, but doesn't. Less experienced defenders would panic with him behind them.

He is too quiet too. He never organises and shouts at his defenders as good keepers do (ala Schmeichel, and no, I am not comparing the 2..Harper isn't Scottish Div 3 quality compared to Schmeichel)

And he's so fucking slow. When Krul came on, he was looking to set the attack away quickly, before Swansea had a chance to get re-organised. You never see that with Harper.

Would be delighted if he fucked off.

Harper for England??? Fuck off!

Tin hat.

I absolutely can't stand him. There is a reason he was number 2 for 25 years...he's not good enough! (Admittedly, he is a canny shot stopper)

He doesn't command his area at all, and so many times puts pressure on our back 4 by not making decisions, and leaving the pressure on them when he should be taking pressure off them. So many times he should be coming for balls, but doesn't. Less experienced defenders would panic with him behind them.

He is too quiet too. He never organises and shouts at his defenders as good keepers do (ala Schmeichel, and no, I am not comparing the 2..Harper isn't Scottish Div 3 quality compared to Schmeichel)

And he's so f***ing slow. When Krul came on, he was looking to set the attack away quickly, before Swansea had a chance to get re-organised. You never see that with Harper.

Would be delighted if he f***ed off.

Harper for England??? f*** off!

Tin hat.

Agree with slow kicking the ball out but nothing else tbh!conceded 10 goals in around 17 games so must be doing something right?I know its not the premership but you cant say he wasnt under pressure  in some of those games.

Your not seriously comparing him to Schmeichel one of the best keepers ever like!Harper should be in the England squad I personally think as well

... says the lad with makems in his avatar. (that's in refernce to MPA not OM)

Harper is above average for the Premiership, nevermind the Championship. Within that subset, if you take out all of the foreigners, Harper is one of the best English keepers. He makes mistakes, but I would rather have him than Calamity or any of the other capped 'keepers out there.

... says the lad with makems in his avatar.

Harper is above average for the Premiership, nevermind the Championship. Within that subset, if you take out all of the foreigners, Harper is one of the best English keepers. He makes mistakes, but I would rather have him than Calamity or any of the other capped 'keepers out there.

WTF has that got to do with anything? Are season ticket holders obliged to only like Sting and Brian Johnson?  :idiot2:

And he's so f***ing slow. When Krul came on, he was looking to set the attack away quickly, before Swansea had a chance to get re-organised. You never see that with Harper.

Tin hat.

Given was as bad as Harper for standing on or near his line and he was just as quiet.

Tin hat.

Given was as bad as Harper for standing on or near his line and he was just as quiet.

In my opinion as a former GK, Given was actually worse than Harper in that respect. Harper is a far more commanding keeper than Shay IMO. The one thing that Given had over Harper was his lightning quick reflexes, not that it ever seemed to help on PK's though.

Tin hat.

In my opinion as a former GK, Given was actually worse than Harper in that respect. Harper is a far more commanding keeper than Shay IMO. The one thing that Given had over Harper was his lightning quick reflexes, not that it ever seemed to help on PK's though.

has done for city tho!

Tin hat.

You'd be delighted if he fucked off? You're bright.

Tin hat.

has done for city tho!

He's exactly the same as he was here, can't organize a defence or dominate his area to save his life and makes lots of good saves that are portrayed as being out of this world.

Tin hat.

Aye, thats what I said. Maybe brighter than you..who knows? :idiot2:

Tin hat.

Aye, lets get rid of him. I mean, we've conceded less than any other team in the league, with the next best team having conceded 50% more goals, and he's made absolutely no errors this season whatsoever. But let's get rid, he's too quiet.

Tin hat.

Aye, lets get rid of him. I mean, we've conceded less than any other team in the league, with the next best team having conceded 50% more goals, and he's made absolutely no errors this season whatsoever. But let's get rid, he's too quiet.

Not just too quiet..just not good enough? Do you think when we get back in the premiership, and heaven forbid we aspire to better things, such as pushing for a European place, that he is good enough? Just my humble opinion, but I certainly dont!

Tin hat.

Not just too quiet..just not good enough? Do you think when we get back in the premiership, and heaven forbid we aspire to better things, such as pushing for a European place, that he is good enough? Just my humble opinion, but I certainly dont!

This is the exact same discussion I had in the NUMBERWANG striker thread.

We're not in the Premiership.

We're years away from pushing for a European place.

If we want to build and change things up if we get promoted, go for it. By all means throw Krul in net later in the season when we win promotion with 10 games to go, but why shake things up now. I don't think Harper is particularly amazing, but I do think he's one of the best keepers in our (shit, shit) league.