Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

or Nicky Butt

Played for england loads of times.

But he is being unfairly overlooked now.

FYP

Good point, I'd have him in the England team for every game. Sure, there's a chance he'd pick up a career threatening injury and the FA would have to pay his wages for us, but that's the chance you take.

"Owen's Law" :nods:

Guest Stephen927

Almunia has more of a chance, and Capello has said he wouldn't call him up cos he's Spanish. :razz:

Harper isn't Spanish, he just spends too long on the sunbeds.

But Almunia is...

why do people think steve harper has to play in the prem to get recognition when heskey doesn't play in the prem but makes almost every squad ?

Harper would not get in the squad if we'd stopped up either.

why do people think steve harper has to play in the prem to get recognition when heskey doesn't play in the prem but makes almost every squad ?

We could be the best team in the world and Harper still wouldn't be recognised as England team material.

Mainly because he isn't good enough for the England team.

Guest Stephen927

We could be the best team in the world and Harper still wouldn't be recognised as England team material.

If we were the best teams in the world then Harper would get a look-in as he would be a part of it.

If we were the best teams in the world then Harper would get a look-in as he would be a part of it.

Victor Valdes

Guest Stephen927

Victor Valdes

I think its fair to say Spain have better goalkeepers then England. Silly argument, but I'm right damnit Burnip.

Victor Valdes

I think its fair to say Spain have better goalkeepers then England. Silly argument, but I'm right damnit Burnip.

No chance. The classic Victor Valdes defence destroys your point. Checkmate.

Guest Stephen927

Victor Valdes

You clearly sound experienced at this, I stood no chance all along.

Victor Valdes

You clearly sound experienced at this, I stood no chance all along.

You're an intelligent boy. This is an understanding that most men takes years to gain. Your midichlorian count must be off the charts.

Guest toonlass

I love your optimism, but we haven't a hope in hell of being the best team in the world never mind teams plural.

Guest Stephen927

I love your optimism, but we haven't a hope in hell of being the best team in the world never mind teams plural.

Seniors and reserves. :D

Guest toonlass

Seniors and reserves. :D

Ah Touche!

I think Harper staying here all these years has actually enhanced his reputation if anything. All his career he's been referred to as a 'good backup keeper', and would have been capped had he left, etc. Think the reality is, he'd have been your average lower Premiership to Championship level keeper,

Victor Valdes is a good solid keeper.   :huff:

He's like a slighty better version of Given.  Shot stopping being his best quality, but not as good overall as the top keepers in the world.

Or Given imo. I watch La Liga religiously and I think he's shite!

I think Harper staying here all these years has actually enhanced his reputation if anything. All his career he's been referred to as a 'good backup keeper', and would have been capped had he left, etc. Think the reality is, he'd have been your average lower Premiership to Championship level keeper,

In 2000 he was genuinely a very good goalkeeper tbh. Brave, excelllent handling, good shot stopper and very good distribution. He's past that stage sadly, but he's still  premiership quality for me.

The thing is with Harper, he's pretty much always been Premiership quality since about 1999/2000. Just people always compared him to Given, and whilst Harper isn't as good as shot-stopper (which seems to be the only criteria for a good goalkeeper according to some people) he's far better on crosses and commanding his box, and his kicking/distribution is arguably better. He's still a decent shot-stopper anyway, but always came under fire because he never seemed to make many "heroic" saves like Given did.

I agree with Ronaldo in that he's still good enough for the Premiership right now. He's a good solid keeper.