Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

The only time I can ever remember Harper really being lauded with praise was after the 2-2 at Boro during 98-99. He made just about best save i've ever seen from an NUFC keeper that day, even better than Shay's against Gudjohnsen and Chris Perry.

Victor Valdes is a good solid keeper.   :huff:

He's like a slighty better version of Given.  Shot stopping being his best quality, but not as good overall as the top keepers in the world.

Aye he's canny, wasn't criticising him really. It's just saying that being in a top team doesn't mean it's a given that you're in the national team. Never mind if you're Harper mediocre.

The only time I can ever remember Harper really being lauded with praise was after the 2-2 at Boro during 98-99. He made just about best save i've ever seen from an NUFC keeper that day, even better than Shay's against Gudjohnsen and Chris Perry.

Pav's against Everton tbh.

Shaka vs Liverpool. ;)

Shaka vs Liverpool. ;)

pav's and shaka's ? were they both the deflections and having to change direction ?

Shaka vs Liverpool. ;)

pav's and shaka's ? were they both the deflections and having to change direction ?

Aye.

Shaka vs Liverpool. ;)

Aye.

aye. deffo the two best saves i've ever seen and i can't choose between them.

Shaka vs Liverpool. ;)

that was a great save actually, right in front of me. Fantastic agility from Shaka

if you ask me capello could do worse than to give harper a try in a friendly match, he knows what green and james etc offer and frankly it ain't much so why not look at Harper and Carson, biggest difference of all will be unlike the prem english keepers those 2 won't be picking the ball out of their net on an alarmingly regular basis as james green robinson and Hart will this season as all their clubs are going to struggle

Guest Roger Kint

So the fact Harper and Carson play in a shite league is a reason to pick them now?

What about the fact both arent good enough?

So the fact Harper and Carson play in a s**** league is a reason to pick them now?

The difference being, Harper didn't look shite in the premiership and Carson most certainly did

Guest Roger Kint

So the fact Harper and Carson play in a s**** league is a reason to pick them now?

The difference being, Harper didn't look s**** in the premiership and Carson most certainly did

I dont think Harper played particularly well either though. Distribution and command of his area is pretty bad tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

For the first few games they may have been. After the Arsenal game he did well imo

I would hardly say they are any better this season though. In fact his kicking seems to deteriorate by each game.

The difference being, Harper didn't look s**** in the premiership and Carson most certainly did

I dont think Harper played particularly well either though. Distribution and command of his area is pretty bad tbh.

Bollocks, he's good at that

• 1 month later...

The best goalkeeper in our league by a mile.

Whatever division he's playing in I can't see a more consistent or better all round keeper right now.

That said I really don't give a shit as England's loss could be our gain. There again the kid deserves some recognition.

Agreed, for the most part he's been outstanding this season. Can't really remember any glaring errors, which to me is thefirst thing to consider when picking a goalkeeper. I can't see it happening but I don't see how he can't be in contention when the rest of the choices are James, Green, Robinson, Foster & Hart. Even the young POSH keeper got a call up.

Would be great to see an NUFC player boarding the plane to SA in the summer.