Stadium naming rights

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

Would be great if someone bought the right to naming the ground and called it

St James' Park

Tbh, it doesn't bother me if its renamed, it will always be St James' park whatever Jeff Stelling calls it, at least we aren't like the mackems nicking a name and then trying to make up bollocks excuses as to why they didnt steal it.

My mate reckons Benficas stadium is Called Estadio De La Luz as La Luz is the area the stadium is in and thats why its called that and not because its the Stadium of Light, I then asked him what Luz translated into english as and he claimed you couldn't as despite it being the same word for the sun it was a place and therefore if sunderland had stolen it, then it would be The Stadium Of La Luz.

Hated the ides when I heard about it - although I still think it's some kind of smokescreen and unlikely to happen.

There again I hated shirt advertising, the Milk/Littlewoods/Carling Cup and the FA Cup sponsored by E-on etc etc.

If it has to happen then Adidas St.James' Park probably sounds OK, especially if they're daft enough to pay millions for it and it would always be known as St.James's anyway.

Think it's quite funny how NUFC.com are on their high horse about this. A lot of fans were upset when "Local Hero" wasn't played as they thought that has become part of the matchday tradition, but .com thought it was sentimental tosh and refused to support it.

Sometimes you get the feeling that if the present "ownership" had said they would not consider new revenue streams, they'd be going hysterical about the useless cockney w+nkers doing nowt.  They're pretty useless but they seem to be damned whatever they say or do.

By the way that's the same NUFC.com which has about six tacky banner adds surrounding the little bit of (old) news on their site.

Tbh, it doesn't bother me if its renamed, it will always be St James' park whatever Jeff Stelling calls it, at least we aren't like the mackems nicking a name and then trying to make up bollocks excuses as to why they didnt steal it.

My mate reckons Benficas stadium is Called Estadio De La Luz as La Luz is the area the stadium is in and thats why its called that and not because its the Stadium of Light, I then asked him what Luz translated into english as and he claimed you couldn't as despite it being the same word for the sun it was a place and therefore if sunderland had stolen it, then it would be The Stadium Of La Luz.

:lol:  gold

Hated the ides when I heard about it - although I still think it's some kind of smokescreen and unlikely to happen.

There again I hated shirt advertising, the Milk/Littlewoods/Carling Cup and the FA Cup sponsored by E-on etc etc.

If it has to happen then Adidas St.James' Park probably sounds OK, especially if they're daft enough to pay millions for it and it would always be known as St.James's anyway.

Think it's quite funny how NUFC.com are on their high horse about this. A lot of fans were upset when "Local Hero" wasn't played as they thought that has become part of the matchday tradition, but .com thought it was sentimental tosh and refused to support it.

Sometimes you get the feeling that if the present "ownership" had said they would not consider new revenue streams, they'd be going hysterical about the useless cockney w+nkers doing nowt.  They're pretty useless but they seem to be damned whatever they say or do.

By the way that's the same NUFC.com which has about six tacky banner adds surrounding the little bit of (old) news on their site.

I like to put the boot into .COM for the way they've got up themselves as much as the next lad but you're chatting shite here.

Local Hero and St. James' simply aren't comparable. One was a song (which I like, for the record) by a faux-Geordie that was introduced a few years ago. The other is the name of our ground and has been since the 1880's.

I don't agree with the banner adds, i'm sick of the sight of seeing Jennings Ford advertising some wonderful deal on Fiesta's, but again they're not comparable and it doesn't make them hypocrites. If the crux of .COMs opposition was bourn out of some anti-capitalist sentiment then fair enough but it's not. It's about history and heritage, something a two-bit website simply doesn't have.

And please don't try to paint Mike Ashley and his pals as some unfortunates who can't do anything right. Maybe .COm would've kicked off had they poo pooed persuing other revenue streams but that's because said revenue streams don't begin and end at renaming the fucking stadium.

Over 11,000 people have so far put their name to the Online Petition protesting against plans to sell off the naming rights to SJP.

The petition is hosted by the Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) but anyone opposed to the plan is welcome to add their name - not just NUST members.

(The Back Page shop on St.Andrews Street are also collecting signatures from disgruntled fans on their own anti-naming petition).

Media reports claiming that current kit supplier Adidas were among the front runners in the naming rights "race" have now been privately rubbished by other sources.

It's understood that a rival manufacturer is well-placed to acquire the kit rights from next season, which would be at odds with any "Adidas Arena" type branding.

David Faulkner, the Deputy Leader of Newcastle City Council provided the following response

to the scheme:

Whilst we understand the need to maximise sponsorship income, some things are more important than money.

The name St James' Park is synonymous with Newcastle United Football Club, has been for over 100 years, and absolutely must stay.

On the legal/property aspects, the lease of St James Park was granted to Newcastle United Football Company Ltd by the City Council for a term of 99 years beginning on 16th July 1998. Such long leases effectively mean that the balance of power rests with the tenant not the landlord.

There is no covenant in the lease prohibiting a change of name of the stadium or ground. The tenant can't erect new buildings without prior landlord's consent but there is no prohibition on change of signage.

Therefore, as ground landlord our view is that unfortunately the Council could not prevent a change of name of the ground. I imagine what is happening now was never thought of at the time the lease was agreed.

Please also note that St James Park is a Town Moor "Intake" (that is, part of the Town Moor) and therefore all the ground rent is received by the Freemen not the Council.

Nexus responded to our query as to whether they would auction off naming rights to the St.James Metro station, issuing the following statement:

Nexus can today confirm we would not seek to change the name of St James Metro station, regardless of any plans by Newcastle Utd to rename St James Park football ground.

.com

I like to put the boot into .COM for the way they've got up themselves as much as the next lad but you're chatting s**** here.

Local Hero and St. James' simply aren't comparable. One was a song (which I like, for the record) by a faux-Geordie that was introduced a few years ago. The other is the name of our ground and has been since the 1880's.

I don't agree with the banner adds, i'm sick of the sight of seeing Jennings Ford advertising some wonderful deal on Fiesta's, but again they're not comparable and it doesn't make them hypocrites. If the crux of .COMs opposition was bourn out of some anti-capitalist sentiment then fair enough but it's not. It's about history and heritage, something a two-bit website simply doesn't have.

And please don't try to paint Mike Ashley and his pals as some unfortunates who can't do anything right. Maybe .COm would've kicked off had they poo pooed persuing other revenue streams but that's because said revenue streams don't begin and end at renaming the f***ing stadium.

Good post.

It seems the only way people can try to justify this is by making absurd comparisons to totally unrelated situations. I can't fathom why any Newcastle fan would want this to go ahead, and I certainly don't believe we or any fans would accept this without putting up a fight. You can't compare this farce to Arsenal or Bayern getting new stadiums or to Local Hero being changed by the DJ before kick-off! And in today's world, you can't compare it to adverts on strips because almost everyone has those and almost noone changes their stadium's name.

Let's stop trying to compare it to something it's not and just call a spade a spade. dot com don't seem to be on any high horse of their own here, they're sticking up for something the vast majority of Newcastle fans believe in. With the club in the state its in, battered bruised and humiliated, pride in the club's tradition is all the fans have left. You can't take that away from us. Or can you?

If we let this happen, where does it end?

I like to put the boot into .COM for the way they've got up themselves as much as the next lad but you're chatting s**** here.

And please don't try to paint Mike Ashley and his pals as some unfortunates who can't do anything right. Maybe .COm would've kicked off had they poo pooed persuing other revenue streams but that's because said revenue streams don't begin and end at renaming the f***ing stadium.

Good post.

It seems the only way people can try to justify this is by making absurd comparisons to totally unrelated situations. I can't fathom why any Newcastle fan would want this to go ahead, and I certainly don't believe we or any fans would accept this without putting up a fight. You can't compare this farce to Arsenal or Bayern getting new stadiums or to Local Hero being changed by the DJ before kick-off! And in today's world, you can't compare it to adverts on strips because almost everyone has those and almost noone changes their stadium's name.

Let's stop trying to compare it to something it's not and just call a spade a spade. dot com don't seem to be on any high horse of their own here, they're sticking up for something the vast majority of Newcastle fans believe in. With the club in the state its in, battered bruised and humiliated, pride in the club's tradition is all the fans have left. You can't take that away from us. Or can you?

i don't think anyone does want it. i also don't want advertising on the top,advertising hoardings round the ground,a page in the programme telling you who sponsors alan smiths undercrackers or a bloke standing by the pitch to tell the ref he can start as the advert for tampax has finished.

unfortunatly i also realise that it is all about money and if doing that brings in a hefty chunk of moolah then it's likely it'll be done. and i still think that having the fans walking round as adverts for some company is as bad if not worse than selling the stadium name.

I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I've stayed clear of this thread and can't be arsed to go through all 12 pages. Anway, I honestly couldn't give a crap what they call the stadium but on the list of bad things Ashley's done to this club, it's pretty low down for me. What I can't get over is the fact that this renaming has got people's blood boiling and willingness to act more that Ashley's total destruction of our football club, crazy really.

Good post.

i don't think anyone does want it. i also don't want advertising on the top,advertising hoardings round the ground,a page in the programme telling you who sponsors alan smiths undercrackers or a bloke standing by the pitch to tell the ref he can start as the advert for tampax has finished.

unfortunatly i also realise that it is all about money and if doing that brings in a hefty chunk of moolah then it's likely it'll be done. and i still think that having the fans walking round as adverts for some company is as bad if not worse than selling the stadium name.

Totally different kettle of fish tbh.

Good post.

Apathy is the worst possible thing our fans can go through now. Just because in your opinion it's "likely to be done" does not mean we should accept it.

I agree with you that sponsorship of any sort is rancid as fuck, especially on the front of shirts (it's one of the main reasons why I won't wear replica tops nowadays...and it makes you look like a flid) but this is too far. We've got some pretty bloody ruthless money men running football nowadays but even they know tinkering with the history of a football club is a big no-no.

Renaming an old, historic stadium is only done by two types of club - relatively small, lower league teams living on the breadline who need the paltry cash it generates to survive (Fitness First Stadium etc.) or those being ran by megalomaniac arseholes seemingly intent on ruining said club (KitKat Crescent). Guess which bracket we fall into.

Good post.

how. my guess is that in this country people will still call it St James' and that abroad the strip is more recognisable than the stadium name. (thats using myself as a guide..i recognise a lot more clubs strips than know their stadium names).

given the choice i'd say no to it but i don't have it as a knicker wetting issue that some have.

Good post.

how. my guess is that in this country people will still call it St James' and that abroad the strip is more recognisable than the stadium name. (thats using myself as a guide..i recognise a lot more clubs strips than know their stadium names).

given the choice i'd say no to it but i don't have it as a knicker wetting issue that some have.

I'm shocked you dont seem to care that much, while i'm not wetting my knickers over it it does sadden me quite a lot.

Whats next on his agenda if he cant flog us next season, IF his gamble pays off and we get promoted. 

I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I've stayed clear of this thread and can't be arsed to go through all 12 pages. Anway, I honestly couldn't give a crap what they call the stadium but on the list of bad things Ashley's done to this club, it's pretty low down for me. What I can't get over is the fact that this renaming has got people's blood boiling and willingness to act more that Ashley's total destruction of our football club, crazy really.

I think you're missing the point. This is a culmination of ill feeling, it isn't just about the stadium name. He got off quite lightly with the Keegan ruling and relegation because he was 'selling' the club and we thought he was finally on the way out.

No one is directing vitriol towards him simply because he's trying to sell the name of the stadium but because this is the latest thing he has done to show contempt for the fans. There's a bigger picture.

Good post.

I'm shocked you dont seem to care that much, while i'm not wetting my knickers over it it does sadden me quite a lot.

Whats next on his agenda if he cant flog us next season, IF his gamble pays off and we get promoted.  

i became immune when greenalls appeared on the stripes.

i'd be more pissed off if he wanted to change the strip to all green or something.

The straw that broke the camels back.

Good post.

i'd be more pissed off if he wanted to change the strip to all green or something.

You wouldnt be arsed if the kit was made by one of his companies and he slapped Sports direct on it.

Paid the sponsor money from Sports Direct to NUFC where he pockets it.  Pays the money say from, Lonsdale as the kit deal to NUFC then he pockets it.  The club seeing none of this dosh.

Good post.

You wouldnt be arsed if the kit was made by one of his companies and he slapped Sports direct on it.

Paid the sponsor money from Sports Direct to NUFC where he pockets it.  Pays the money say from, Lonsdale as the kit deal to NUFC then he pockets it.   The club seeing none of this dosh.

how does he "pocket it" ?

wouldn't that mean he's just passing money from one hand to the other as opposed to getting cash from someone thats not him.

Good post.

Paid the sponsor money from Sports Direct to NUFC where he pockets it.  Pays the money say from, Lonsdale as the kit deal to NUFC then he pockets it.   The club seeing none of this dosh.

He owns the club, he could pay himself what the fuck he likes.

Good post.

I'd imagine it would be in a very similar way to how he pocketed the money we recouped from this summers transfers.

Good post.

He owns the club, he could pay himself what the f*** he likes.

he could.....the accounts show the he hasn't as yet.

Good post.

He owns the club, he could pay himself what the f*** he likes.

he could.....the accounts show the he hasn't as yet.

Yet, aye.

There simply isn't any trust in this man.  He has had none for a long time now.

Where has all the transfer money gone from our sales???

Whats happening with the dosh made from the gate, which we average 40k'ish.

most probably still on wages,running costs and paying off past transfers and thats assuming the incoming fees aren't spread over years.