The Alan Smith Guide to Popularity:

a) accept pass from teammate

b) immediately lose ball due to having a touch like a trampoline

c) attempt lunging tackle to win ball back

d) give opposition a throw in if lucky, free kick if not so lucky

e) accept rapturous applause/yellow card

f) repeat

Yup.

I think he's done okay. I know its trite to say so, but i like it when i see players playing for us who look like they care. Smith does, the likes of Jonas and Harewood don't.

Guest Heneage

f) repeat

I think that's an incredibly harsh assessment of a player who is doing very well for us.

f) repeat

I think that's an incredibly harsh assessment of a player who is doing very well for us.

is a harsh assessment but he is not doing very well for us either .

Guest Heneage

f) repeat

What exactly are people expecting from the guy? He's leading the team, putting in a fair amount of ball winning tackles, he's giving good protection to the back four and just keeps the midfield ticking over, he never billed himself as anything more.

f) repeat

What exactly are people expecting from the guy? He's leading the team, putting in a fair amount of ball winning tackles, he's giving good protection to the back four and just keeps the midfield ticking over, he never billed himself as anything more.

i'd say putting in a large ammount of tackles, not necessarily ball winning and i don't think he's protecting the back 4 all that much either. the midfield isn't ticking over, it's spluttering.

Guest Heneage

f) repeat

i'd say putting in a large ammount of tackles, not necessarily ball winning and i don't think he's protecting the back 4 all that much either. the midfield isn't ticking over, it's spluttering.

He's not Earth shattering but he plays within his limits, I didn't see him give it away much last night and he is decent in the air. I've been one of his biggest critics last year, but right now I can't fault him.

f) repeat

He's not Earth shattering but he plays within his limits, I didn't see him give it away much last night and he is decent in the air. I've been one of his biggest critics last year, but right now I can't fault him.

coloccini and enrique both got further forward than him and I honestly can't remember saying "good ball alan" or him even attempting a through ball. its nice to have someone who cares and is blood and thunder but he's not playing well and his passion shouldn't disguise it.

Guest Heneage

f) repeat

coloccini and enrique both got further forward than him and I honestly can't remember saying "good ball alan" or him even attempting a through ball. its nice to have someone who cares and is blood and thunder but he's not playing well and his passion shouldn't disguise it.

But he's not supposed to get forward or play clever passes.  ???

f) repeat

when he's along side nicky butt i'd reckon he is supposed to get forward instead of waiting for butt to do it.. for even the most defensive minded central midfielder not attempting to play the ball forward as little as him takes some doing.

Guest Heneage

f) repeat

when he's along side nicky butt i'd reckon he is supposed to get forward instead of waiting for butt to do it.. for even the most defensive minded central midfielder not attempting to play the ball forward as little as him takes some doing.

But he can't. I think he was told to do what is always expected and just sit there, Butt is clearly useless, and for me Guthrie needs to start, despite his poor form.

f) repeat

But he can't. I think he was told to do what is always expected and just sit there, Butt is clearly useless, and for me Guthrie needs to start, despite his poor form.

right now, apart from the scapegaoting i don't see much difference between smith and butt. i'd probably give butt the nod as he is a bit more forward looking.

Smith is far better than Butt. Butt had a decent game for his standards yesterday, but still had dangerous moments of giving the ball away.

None of our players did much going fowards, thats why the entire game was long ball. You can hardly put that on smith. We're playing with 1 big man upfront being marked by two sometimes, with Nolan in midfield most of the time apart for goalkicks.  Hardly the game for through balls. Anyway Smith suits his role, its down to Hughton to play Guthrie for the more advanced play. Not smith to do it if Butts shoved on to.

Smith is far better than Butt. Butt had a decent game for his standards yesterday, but still had dangerous moments of giving the ball away.

None of our players did much going fowards, thats why the entire game was long ball. You can hardly put that on smith. We're playing with 1 big man upfront being marked by two sometimes, with Nolan in midfield most of the time apart for goalkicks.  Hardly the game for through balls. Anyway Smith suits his role, its down to Hughton to play Guthrie for the more advanced play. Not smith to do it if Butts shoved on to.

smith at the start of the season was. i've seen little in the past  8 weeks to make me think that. for me it isn't even a butt/smith argument. it's a priority signing.

He's the equivalent of what Paul Bracewell was in Keegans team. The unglamorous grafter. The difference is the 92 side complimented the graft with the smart forward passing of Lee Clark.

He's the equivalent of what Paul Bracewell was in Keegans team. The unglamorous grafter. The difference is the 92 side complimented the graft with the smart forward passing of Lee Clark.

He's not as good as Bracewell man, even at the age he was.

f) repeat

right now, apart from the scapegaoting i don't see much difference between smith and butt. i'd probably give butt the nod as he is a bit more forward looking.

Agree with everything you've said madras.

Guest Roger Kint

He's not as good as Bracewell man, even at the age he was.

Could you imagine Smith scoring a 25 yarder like that Villa goal? Bracewell was better in every department imo.