Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest WashyGeordie

Didn't see this in here, but this time it's the council who's approved the signage, and if it hasn't already been done (hopefully) then surely pressurising them into blocking the motion would be better, but putting pressure on both (council/club) would be the obvious thing to do.

Guest johnson293

Didn't see this in here, but this time it's the council who's approved the signage, and if it hasn't already been done (hopefully) then surely pressurising them into blocking the motion would be better, but putting pressure on both (council/club) would be the obvious thing to do.

If you mean the rumoured change of the 'Newcastle United' signage on the East stand, then I don't think that will have been part of the planning application that was approved.

That application was only for signage on the outside of St James' Park (wasn't it?) - not sure the council would have any say on signage within the '4 walls' so to speak?

Guest WashyGeordie

If you mean the rumoured change of the 'Newcastle United' signage on the East stand, then I don't think that will have been part of the planning application that was approved.

That application was only for signage on the outside of St James' Park (wasn't it?) - not sure the council would have any say on signage within the '4 walls' so to speak?

Wouldn't the council still have to approve anything done inside as it's leased by them? (the tarmac, dugouts, and gallowgate roof (unless it's classed as outside)

Should still contact them to confirm or to give us more clarity, as if they do then fan pressure could make them think twice rather than the club who don't give a fuck about communcation/the fans.

Guest Roger Kint

Wouldn't the council still have to approve anything done inside as it's leased by them? (the tarmac, dugouts, and gallowgate roof (unless it's classed as outside)

Should still contact them to confirm or to give us more clarity, as if they do then fan pressure could make them think twice rather than the club who don't give a f*** about communcation/the fans.

Aye fan pressure did work wonders to stop Ashley moving the L7 people against their wishes....

Guest WashyGeordie

Should still contact them to confirm or to give us more clarity, as if they do then fan pressure could make them think twice rather than the club who don't give a f*** about communcation/the fans.

Aye fan pressure did work wonders to stop Ashley moving the L7 people against their wishes....

Thats why i said direct it at the council and not the club..

Guest johnson293

Should still contact them to confirm or to give us more clarity, as if they do then fan pressure could make them think twice rather than the club who don't give a fuck about communcation/the fans.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/326679.pdf

Advertisements which are excluded from direct control There are 9 different classes of advertisement which are excluded from the direct control of the planning authority provided certain conditions

are fulfilled. These categories are:

1. Advertisements displayed on enclosed land. These would incude advertisements inside a railway station forecourt, or inside a bus station or sports stadium or shopping mall.

The illustration on that leaflet shows pitchside advertising as its example of those which aren't under 'direct control', and thus don't need planning approval.

I'd guess the 'Newcastle United' on the East Stand and the current 'Sports Direct.com' on the Gallowgate stand are classed as being 'inside the ground' and thus also fall under that category.

The one on the Gallowgate roof probably did require permission though.

Guest Roger Kint

Thats why i said direct it at the council and not the club..

Like when people complained to the council over the original plans to plaster the ground with signs and were rejected?

There wasn't any warning with the sign on the Gallowgate, was there?  I thought people just turned up one game and there it was, but might be wrong.

Edit: I don't mean the thing on top of the roof, I mean the sign facing the pitch.

Colocho's problem is doing nothing about it = being perfectly happy/acceptable

Tbh, I'd rather appear to be a troublemaker/doom-monger etc by the ever-critical and apathetic members of this board, than do/say nothing and let stuff like this happen without some kind of stand. Fortunately, I know a lot of like-minded people who are a pleasure to work with on things like this.

You do whatever you feel will work, I won't do whatever I feel won't work. It's no apathy, it's common sense.

I've never been one for pitchforks and fire torches, and I can't remember the last one up here that worked - the fat b****** is still sat in his cosy box laughing at us all so what has been achieved from 'standing up and doing something about it'? :dontknow:

As a side note is there any way to alter the scripting so that anyone who types Mike Ashley or any of its variations it displays as "Fat Bastard"?  I'm rather partial to that as his name and, well, it would make me quite happy to see him referred to by that name only.  Would add a certain panache to the board, IMO.

Colocho's problem is doing nothing about it = being perfectly happy/acceptable

Tbh, I'd rather appear to be a troublemaker/doom-monger etc by the ever-critical and apathetic members of this board, than do/say nothing and let stuff like this happen without some kind of stand. Fortunately, I know a lot of like-minded people who are a pleasure to work with on things like this.

You do whatever you feel will work, I won't do whatever I feel won't work. It's no apathy, it's common sense.

I've never been one for pitchforks and fire torches, and I can't remember the last one up here that worked - the fat b****** is still sat in his cosy box laughing at us all so what has been achieved from 'standing up and doing something about it'? :dontknow:

As a side note is there any way to alter the scripting so that anyone who types Mike Ashley or any of its variations it displays as "Fat b******"?  I'm rather partial to that as his name and, well, it would make me quite happy to see him referred to by that name only.  Would add a certain panache to the board, IMO.

That's an amazingly bad idea :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=ib3PrintArticle&article_id=837907468&printer=printer&rf=0

A UK upstart, Sports Direct, is going head-to-head with French heavyweight Decathlon, by opening stores in Paris this month. Meanwhile, UK rival JJB Sports is waiting for a rescuer.

Sports Direct does not like to do anything by halves. Despite being only a quarter the size of its French rival, it has thrown down the gauntlet to Decathlon by planning stores in the French capital. Perhaps owner Mike Ashley, once notoriously media-shy, has decided that publicity does have its place after generating headlines as owner of football club Newcastle United.

In the UK, Sports Direct has firmly established itself as the market leader. It now has just shy of 400 UK stores plus further stores in eight European countries. But its ambitious are high. Chief executive Dave Forsey has forecast that sports retail will be dominated by Sports Direct and Decathlon within a decade, projecting that the pair will become clear European market leaders.

Mr Forsey would certainly like to emulate Decathlon’s empire. Since its founding in 1976, the French retailer has expanded globally - including into the UK - and has become the European leader in selling, designing and producing sporting goods. Owned by French company Oxylane, Decathlon now has around 535 stores in 17 countries, as well as 46 smaller format Koodza stores. Altogether Oxylane generated global sales of €5.4bn (US$6bn) in 2009 (most recent figures), compared with Sports Direct’s comparatively modest £1.37bn (year to April 2009).

Following the opening of four stores in the Paris area this year Sports Direct plans to enter all of the eurozone countries over the next five years.

Newcastle United have signed eight French-speaking players in the last twelve months.

Seven of whom were born in France.