If you were President

peasepud

Guest toonlass

Hold open trials for any aspiring players, charge £50 entry (to dissuade the random charvers who would turn up just 'cos they're bored). Tap into the local pool of players who give a s*** about running out in the shirt.

Mike? :shifty:

Imagine if the club did that! Not only a laughing stock of the footballing world, but also accused of exploiting the thick people who think they can be footballers. It would be like the X Factor auditions!

Chelsea did a similar thing on Sky a few years back, gave the winner an under 18's contract I believe.

Im with Madras here,

the idea of a wage structure is a good one, lower basic with high performance related would be my ideal scenario however you cant just walk into any business and tell the staff they're taking a 50% pay cut, contracts are contracts and as long as there are some there on £100k p/w thenyou'll be hard pushed to convince the big names out there to play for 40k.

You can try restructuring peoples pay but it would ultimately have to be seen as a winner for them which in itself would therefore have the potential to cost you a lot more in the long run.

Try not to be arrogant enough to think I can run the club myself. Unless one of the CV's put forward from NUST is Rick Parry, my guess is that nobody on the board is experienced in running one of the largest football clubs in Europe.

Even SJH had no idea how to run a football club when he acquired NUFC - he brought in Freddie Fletcher to help on the general commercial and admin. aspects. Keegan ran most of the football side at the time, although everyone seems to accept that it is just too big a job now to be run on that basis.

for those saying get rid of the high earners..........how do you propose to do this ?

I'd just not give them a new contract / offer them a crap contract / offer them to other clubs.

If they didn't accept then fine, but they'll be out the door when their contract is out if no-one would take me them off my hands before then.

you may well still be paying them hugh wages for 3 or 4 years then . is it all high earners or just those that you think are under performing or do you get rid of them all even if it is to the detriment of the teasm ?

isn't it more just a case of recognising the need to cut wages.

What?

I already said I'd offer them a crappier contract..

I'd implement a wage structure, and there'd be no exceptions to the rule. And yes, I'm aware people may still be hanging around for 3/4 years if I couldn't shift 'em.

it's all easier said than done. can you imagine the negotiations with a posiible transfer to take 30thou when people at the club are still on 50thou.

how tough would you be to the detriment of the team ?.

it's a tricky thing to try and improve the team,stick to a wage structure,and compete in the market. a lot trickier than some seem to think.

Yeah, I know they'd tell me to fuck off, but you'd still ask.

It's kinda hard to say how much it'd be to the detriment of the team, I wouldn't have any exceptions to the rule as far as a wage structure goes, but I'd aim to replace the Nolans and Butts of this world with up and coming players and Championship sloggers.

This is all assuming a decent Championship stint to be honest.

Proper manager

Wage restructure

Get rid of the big earners

How do you expect your "Proper manager" will react when you "Get rid of the big earners"?

Guess that goes to the heart of what a manager does. Do you believe that a manager really can be in charge of all transfers and financial matters?

If so, then I suppose you give him a budget for the first team and let him get on with it.

Don't see why this can't work, as long as the manager accepts the budget (which would be made clear before he took the job).

Well, I wouldn't get involved in the transfer side: that's for f***ing sure. All you can do in terms of the team is appoint the right people, give them the best tools to work with, and hope for the best.

your manager comes to you and say "if we can squeeze an extra half a million out and extra 10grand a week wages we can get this player who could seal us promotion"

you can't keep out of it man.

Well, I wouldn't get involved in the transfer side: that's for f***ing sure. All you can do in terms of the team is appoint the right people, give them the best tools to work with, and hope for the best.

your manager comes to you and say "if we can squeeze an extra half a million out and extra 10grand a week wages we can get this player who could seal us promotion"

you can't keep out of it man.

Tbh, I'm not sure what a president does. That sounds like chairman's job.

Hire top class staff on all levels. Every coach from under 10s upwards, every scout, every doctor, every physio, every barman, every toilet cleaner to be the best available within the budget. No jobs for old players, friends, or other incompetent wasters. I don't want to see the likes of Terry Mac slumped in his chair on the dugout, it should be done professionally with genuine coaches. A scouting system to rival Arsenal would be nice, rather than our Youtube watchers.

Get the club right in terms of infrastructure first. Build it from the ground up and as long as the first 11 were competent to exist in the premiership short term I would not focus on them.

I would upgrade training facilities and make first team sessions totally private, except for a fan day every month or something. Instil a level of professionalism which I have never seen at this club and we might start getting somewhere.

Hire top class staff on all levels. Every coach from under 10s upwards, every scout, every doctor, every physio, every barman, every toilet cleaner to be the best available within the budget. No jobs for old players, friends, or other incompetent wasters. I don't want to see the likes of Terry Mac slumped in his chair on the dugout, it should be done professionally with genuine coaches. A scouting system to rival Arsenal would be nice, rather than our Youtube watchers.

Get the club right in terms of infrastructure first. Build it from the ground up and as long as the first 11 were competent to exist in the premiership short term I would not focus on them.

I would upgrade training facilities and make first team sessions totally private, except for a fan day every month or something. Instil a level of professionalism which I have never seen at this club and we might start getting somewhere.

Thats a hell of a lot of work on your first day ;)

Thats what I like to see a hard worker, you'll get my vote when the day comes.

If we did manage to buy the club and you were voted in as President.

What would be the very first thing you would do/ change?

I'd have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit

Nothing too flash

Probably a custard cream or a hobnob

To be fair it would only take a day to rectify some of the horrific errors that the club currently endures. Thats providing I could pre-book the crane to tear down that hideous sign.

If I had time before taking office as President, I could have the staff already researched, so it would just be paperwork in terms of getting them in.

To be fair it would only take a day to rectify some of the horrific errors that the club currently endures. Thats providing I could pre-book the crane to tear down that hideous sign.

If I had time before taking office as President, I could have the staff already researched, so it would just be paperwork in terms of getting them in.

Paperwork and a hell of a lot of cash to pay up the existing staff's contracts and/or pay out on their unfair dismissal claims.

Paperwork and a hell of a lot of cash to pay up the existing staff's contracts and/or pay out on their unfair dismissal claims.

I didn't say anything about getting rid of current staff - just that I would hire new ones to do the job properly :p. Thats going to be a frustrating element for any new regime looking at an overhaul. I am assuming that the Trust has an appropriate legal team lined up/already acting for them.

Proper manager

Wage restructure

How do you expect your "Proper manager" will react when you "Get rid of the big earners"?

Arsene Wenger works within a wage structure, he not proper enough for you?

Proper manager

Wage restructure

Arsene Wenger works within a wage structure, he not proper enough for you?

Working within an existing wage structure (which is massive at Arsenal btw) is completely different to the chairman coming in and saying right Arsene, I'm going to sell or renegotiate the contracts of all your top earning players.