Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

I was thinking the other day, what a perfectly balanced first choice midfield that was that Bobby had. Solano, Speed, Dyer and Robert - a great mix of everything in there, with the class to cause good teams problems. Dyer and Robert could be frustrating for different reasons but when Dyer was on song he was one of the players I've enjoyed watching most in recent times - there were matches when he must have covered an unbelievable amount of ground. Unfortunately there weren't enough of those matches if you look at his years here as a whole.

Problem with Dyer was he'd return from injury, play out of his skin for half a dozen games and then go missing before eventually getting injured again.

I was thinking the other day, what a perfectly balanced first choice midfield that was that Bobby had. Solano, Speed, Dyer and Robert - a great mix of everything in there, with the class to cause good teams problems. Dyer and Robert could be frustrating for different reasons but when Dyer was on song he was one of the players I've enjoyed watching most in recent times - there were matches when he must have covered an unbelievable amount of ground. Unfortunately there weren't enough of those matches if you look at his years here as a whole.

Problem with Dyer was he'd return from injury, play out of his skin for half a dozen games and then go missing before eventually getting injured again.

dyer was often horrible when playing in the middle.

Dedicated to Maddy and Mick cos i couldnt find a huddersfield one. :no:

I've got that song.  :lol:

;D  almost posted with,..... best watched with sound off.

;D the people queing for tickets with dogs and grannies, it looks like something out of the 60s to me.

The Clap Clap song - Genius. For my early years this one of those distinct match day memories. I'd forgotten all about it until a match at Leicester in the early 2000s when i heard 2 lads singing "going on the drink, drink, drink" to the same tune.

And the matching bands and Police dog demonstrations certainly continued in the thid to late 80s.

The Clap Clap song - Genius. For my early years this one of those distinct match day memories. I'd forgotten all about it until a match at Leicester in the early 2000s when i heard 2 lads singing "going on the drink, drink, drink" to the same tune.

And the matching bands and Police dog demonstrations certainly continued in the thid to late 80s.

:clap2: get in at last someone who remembers them. i swear one time the demonstration was nothing more than a dog wraggling a bloke in a padded suit.

:clap2: get in at last someone who remembers them. i swear one time the demonstration was nothing more than a dog wraggling a bloke in a padded suit.

i remember the dog demo. it wasn't a regular thing. you'd also now and again get a police horse demo and some regimental marching band.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Sneaking in to the Milburn Corner paddock in the late 80's.  Used to jump down onto the turnstiles roof and the let a couple of my school mates in, then quickly run up the steps and hide in the bogs until we hear the turnstiles going, then just walk out and migle with the crowd.

Sneaking in to the Milburn Corner paddock in the late 80's.  Used to jump down onto the turnstiles roof and the let a couple of my school mates in, then quickly run up the steps and hide in the bogs until we hear the turnstiles going, then just walk out and migle with the crowd.

we used to play a game of trying to sneak into the old main stand seats from the A or E wing paddocks when the gadgie guarding the gate sneeked off for a whazz or a bovril.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

we used to play a game of trying to sneak into the old main stand seats from the A or E wing paddocks when the gadgie guarding the gate sneeked off for a whazz or a bovril.

I knew one of the stewards who used to work on the exit gate at the corner of the Gallowgate, Milburn  where the cashpoint is now, if his boss was not around, he would let us in through the gate. One time we were playing Luton in the FA Cup, and he let us in, but it was with the Luton fans, in the corner of the gallowgate. Had to make our way through the crowd to the front, then cross over into the main part of the gallowgate to be with the toon fans. Almost crushed halfway down as Luton scored :( 

I knew one of the stewards who used to work on the exit gate at the corner of the Gallowgate, Milburn  where the cashpoint is now, if his boss was not around, he would let us in through the gate. One time we were playing Luton in the FA Cup, and he let us in, but it was with the Luton fans, in the corner of the gallowgate. Had to make our way through the crowd to the front, then cross over into the main part of the gallowgate to be with the toon fans. Almost crushed halfway down as Luton scored :( 

my dad used to get complimentaries in the early/mid 70's. one for him and a couple for his mates so we'd go to the steward at the gallowgate corner gate, that lead into the gallowgate centre and my dad would hand over the ticket with a 50p under it, over to the steward. so whenever you look at attendances from that period, it is at least one short.

I remember going to see  us V Wimbledon cup game (the one where Mira kicked Beasent in the back) & the gateman was getting slipped a load of notes. The paddocks were a tight squeeze that game.

i was in the center paddock with me dad and the gimp....were you with us that day spence?

I remember going to see  us V Wimbledon cup game (the one where Mira kicked Beasent in the back) & the gateman was getting slipped a load of notes. The paddocks were a tight squeeze that game.

i was in the center paddock with me dad and the gimp....were you with us that day spence?

Nah I was with our Kevin & his next door neighbours.

Dunno if anyone's posted this facebook group yet

Name:Newcastle United - 80's & 90's Pictures

Category:Sports & Recreation - General Sports

Description:Welcome to a new page dedicated to rare pictures and photo's of Newcastle United - players, matches, crowds etc from the 80's & early 90's (pre 1994)

Feel free to post a comment, reminisce a tale on the Discussion Boards or drop us a line if you wish to share an image or video.

P.S - Any abuse will simply be deleted.

Enjoy

Dave and Marc

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=138858761796

• 2 weeks later...

Black and White Daft - the book - superb !!

Got it for Christmas - read about 40 pages so far and I was at most of the games mentioned up to now.

You almost forget about how bad it was back then compared to the sanitised state of the game nowadays.

It's good that this book will ensure those days are not forgotten.

A vivid memory of 1975, I think. We got drawn away to Walsall in the FA Cup and it had been chucking it down for a week prior to the game. We rocked up at the Central Station at 8:00 with rumours the game had been called off as the rain contnued. Anyway, got on the train and remember they turfed us all off underneath some bloody motorway and we had to walk a couple of miles along this bloody river bank, feezing cold, pissing down before coming to this bridge. On the other side of the bridge was Walsalls ground and we all got herded in through one turnstile, walked along behind one of the goals and down the side under this old corrugated iron stand that seemed to sway in the wind.

The pitch was a glueport, not a blade of grass on it and the amount of water on the surface would have filled the derwent reservoir. Needless to say, Supermac and the lads never got going and we lost 1-0. I still dont know where or how we got the train home except some of the lads getting kicked off at Derby on the way back.,

Yep, happy bloody days.

Black and White Daft - the book - superb !!

Got it for Christmas - read about 40 pages so far and I was at most of the games mentioned up to now.

You almost forget about how bad it was back then compared to the sanitised state of the game nowadays.

It's good that this book will ensure those days are not forgotten.

I enjoyed it but maybe thought it was a bit too brief - although I suppose if they'd had say 5 anecdotes for every game I'd guess it would have dragged so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

I loved the "We were sitting in the pub pissed on the Friday night and decided to drive to Swansea" attitude of those days.

I'd also say the court clippings show that imo a £100 fine for somebody being pissed and doing something daft is a lot fairer than the extensive use of banning orders. I'm sure they'll argue the latter are only used for serious idiots (they aren't) but my view was always that it shouldn't be too hard to catch the real idiots "properly" instead of the laziness of guilt with no proof.

Guest Brummiemag

A vivid memory of 1975, I think. We got drawn away to Walsall in the FA Cup and it had been chucking it down for a week prior to the game. We rocked up at the Central Station at 8:00 with rumours the game had been called off as the rain contnued. Anyway, got on the train and remember they turfed us all off underneath some bloody motorway and we had to walk a couple of miles along this bloody river bank, feezing cold, pissing down before coming to this bridge. On the other side of the bridge was Walsalls ground and we all got herded in through one turnstile, walked along behind one of the goals and down the side under this old corrugated iron stand that seemed to sway in the wind.

The pitch was a glueport, not a blade of grass on it and the amount of water on the surface would have filled the derwent reservoir. Needless to say, Supermac and the lads never got going and we lost 1-0. I still dont know where or how we got the train home except some of the lads getting kicked off at Derby on the way back.,

Yep, happy bloody days.

Yeah I went to that, I was 11 years old and my dad took me.

I remember a few Newcastle fans being arrested by the coppers and being walked round the side of the pitch, a copper on each arm. As they passed the Walsall fans (who were shouting loads of abuse), the already arrested newcastle fans were spitting into the Walsall fans who were giving them the abuse. Great days

I also remember seeing loads of discarded black and white scarfs lying around after the game!