Danny Simpson (now retired)

Guest toonlass

Guest andrew

Why out of interest would Simpson improve? He hasnt got any technical skill at all and you really do have to "have it" from day one to develop it. He's quite fast and quite well built and a passive defender who sometimes reads the game well, nowt more. Backup at best. After West Brom at home I didnt think wed see him again regularly in our colours :jesuswept:

He's ok for what he is and that's a starter for a championship / bottom end premiership team or a reliable backup for a midtable prem team but nothing more.  He's just too limited in what he can offer a side in that he can't really help attacks much because his crossing technique and passing range is poor but he can do a job defensively provided he has decent defenders and a good, capable right midfielder around him.

I'd love to see Santon start at right back with Ferguson tried out at left back but I can't see that happening so until we buy a quality left back or right back then he's what we have.

Guest Rey Mysterio

You don't need that much technical ability to be a good fullback really.

Couldn't disagree more. Every player on the pitch should have good technical ability and I include goalkeeper in that.

You don't need that much technical ability to be a good fullback really.

You do these days.  He's redundant as a force when going forward and his touch, dribbling technique and passing ability are all awful.  Full backs should have all those skills listed IMO.

He is genuinely incompetent in all aspects of his game. He doesn't even commit to challenges, he has no aggression or bravery which- imo- just makes him even more unlike-able.

How he's a professional football player, let alone a Premiership footballer, I will never be able to work out.

He is genuinely incompetent in all aspects of his game. He doesn't even commit to challenges, he has no aggression or bravery which- imo- just makes him even more unlike-able.

How he's a professional football player, let alone a Premiership footballer, I will never be able to work out.

Little bit over the top - I suspect there are at least a few Premiership footballers with worse technique, let alone professional footballers.

Little bit over the top - I suspect there are at least a few Premiership footballers with worse technique, let alone professional footballers.

Anybody who's scared of the ball shouldn't be a professional footballer.

When we have everyone fit, he's the weakest link our team.

Ok he doesnt commit howlers, thank god, and his goal line clearances are pretty good but other than that he offers nothing to the team. He doesnt look for the ball, he doesnt command his position, he rarely gets forward, he can't cross, he seems to have a problem forming a partnership with anyone who plays on the right side of midfield and he's afraid of challenging for the ball.

I highly suspect he would get found even more amongst a poorer team too. I don't buy the "he'd be ok for a bottom half team", for me, he'd probably look even worse.

In the summer, we must sign a right back (or left and move Santon across).

Ok he doesnt commit howlers, thank god

Howlers or subtle positional errors by defenders usually equate to the same end result. The only good thing about subtlety is the chance of some idiot like Allardyce or Warnock taking him off our hands one day.

Howlers or subtle positional errors by defenders usually equate to the same end result. The only good thing about subtlety is the chance of some idiot like Allardyce or Warnock taking him off our hands one day.

Absolutely, but Bramble-esque mistakes are something i hope our club never has to endure again.

You are right though, i suppose it doesn't matter whether he kicks the ball into his own net or lets someone run past him, the result is still the same.

Simpson is a average perm rb, nothing more. Why does every one constantly hammer the guy? We signed him for 500k and he's been a regular in our team and has been steady, definitely not spectacular!

People have short memories, when he came back into the team we had perch there who looked absolute out of his depth and when Simpson replaced him v west ham away he was a huge improvement. he does get stuck in and I respect the guy for playing with a injury in our promotion season (reason he lost him place to perch due to ankle op)

He has proved himself to be capable at this level in probably a bottom half of table team, something were were and was fine. Going forward he does need replacing but in doing that you buy a better playerfor more money, pay him a bigger wage and that's something the club may do in summer with European football. Why we expect every player of Newcastle to be world class, they aren't or they wouldn't want to buy here!

There is no benefit from hammering the guy when we can't replace him, there isnt even anyone in reserves considering we played a striker there v Sunderland. Why not get behind him then when he probably gets moved on in summer show the guy bit respect by appreciating he helped get the team promoted and established in the premier league! :)

wtf, people are going way over the top with the slagging of this lad,

yeh we know he's completely shit after he crosses the halfway line but put that aside, speaking purely on defensive skills, he really isn't bad at all.

put it this way, defensively he is the most solid fullback (left and right) we got in the entire squad, i know that may be a shock to some, but it's a fact , not that it's saying much given how shit the rest of our fullbacks are.