Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest bimpy474

Love this thread at the moment.

Basically we are saying who is the shittiest/best RB we have, conclusion is its Simpson.

After what 3 seasons or so back in the top flight Simpson is still our best RB ?. Well that's just pissed on my corn flakes like.

Anita, Perch, Raylor. Hell even Tav has shown more in his first team glimpses.

Give over man.

Perch is canny cover in the centre and in midfield but is poor at RB.

Raylor is better at LB and RM and has good delivery but is not as good as Simpson at RB.

Anita has looked reasonably comfortable at RB but is wasted there and isn't as good as Simpson.

Tavernier has looked out of his depth and was extremely vulnerable at home to Bruges and away to Atromitos. Bruges even seemed to target him as the weak link.

Simpson is a decent, defensive fullback. However he offers nothing going forward as he just gets the ball, panics, and turns round to pass it back to the nearest DC.

This wouldn't be a problem if the rest of the team was great going forward. But they're not. So Simpson's failings are exaggerated and he becomes a microcosm for the team as a whole, and accordingly he gets a disportionate amount of blame.

I'd love to see us replace him with someone better, but I don't want to see us sell him just for the sake of it as that benefits nobody. In an ideal world, I'd buy a left back and move Santon over to his proper position on the right, where all right footed wide players should play to enable them to deliver a cross properly.

:thup: - with the exception of the word 'all'.

Would like to see Santon given a run on the right though, rather than one game.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Anita, Perch, Raylor. Hell even Tav has shown more in his first team glimpses.

Give over man.

Perch is canny cover in the centre and in midfield but is poor at RB.

Raylor is better at LB and RM and has good delivery but is not as good as Simpson at RB.

Anita has looked reasonably comfortable at RB but is wasted there and isn't as good as Simpson.

Tavernier has looked out of his depth and was extremely vulnerable at home to Bruges and away to Atromitos. Bruges even seemed to target him as the weak link.

How do you come to the conclusion Raylor is better at LB but not RB? All those times he had to deliver on his weaker foot or turn back to cross with his right, imagine what a massive improvement on Simpson it would be to give someone who actually has ability the chances to deliver from dangerous areas that Simpson has had and produced next to nothing.

As for Anita not being as good as Simpson, I just can't accept that. I agree it seems a waste to an extent because we currently need him in midfield but if we weren't short in that area, not a chance would you pick Simpson over Anita.

Ah aye, he had the cross-shot that looped straight in against Forest in the cup last season, forgot about that one. Peterborough goal was blatantly a cross too. :lol:

Just gets on my nerves how limp he is going forward. Meh, old news. He's shit but he isn't the main problem this season. Plus we're completely stuck with him as we're not gonna sign a RB in January.

Ah aye, he had the cross-shot that looped straight in against Forest in the cup last season, forgot about that one. Peterborough goal was blatantly a cross too. :lol:

Just gets on my nerves how limp he is going forward. Meh, old news. He's s*** but he isn't the main problem this season. Plus we're completely stuck with him as we're not gonna sign a RB in January.

Can't wait for the day that this toilet doesn't play for us any more.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Because he doesn't have the ability to be a professional footballer and should never have been signed in the first place. If you don't have it by your early twenties you never will.

Because he doesn't have the ability to be a professional footballer and should never have been signed in the first place. If you don't have it by your early twenties you never will.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbrauuIMFs1rno750o1_500.gif

Guest reefatoon

What a load of bollocks

Guest Rey Mysterio

People always state he's a competent Premier League player or he started 30 games for a team that finished 5th etc. but for the last couple of years there hasn't been a worse starting right back in the whole league. He's extremely fortunate he's even still playing at this level.

Guest reefatoon

People always state he's a competent Premier League player or he started 30 games for a team that finished 5th etc. but for the last couple of years there hasn't been a worse starting right back in the whole league. He's extremely fortunate he's even still playing at this level.

More bollocks

I dunno man he's just average. West Brom are flying and who do they play at RB? Billy Jones I think. He's hardly much, if at all better than Simpson.

To be fair though, they don't continually invite pressure onto themselves by playing hit and hope balls to the opposition defenders - they pass the ball on the deck and retain possession.

For me, every player in a Premier League team should be having an impact on most games, either offensively or defensively but preferably both.  Simpson doesn't have an impact on any game unless he makes a goal line clearance - he is one of the most anonymous players i've seen. 

Modern top-level fullbacks have so much more to their game than Simmo - look at Rafael, Clichy, Kolarov, Kyle Walker, Baines, Richards etc etc. The gulf in quality and technique is absolutely massive

Guest Rey Mysterio

I dunno man he's just average. West Brom are flying and who do they play at RB? Billy Jones I think. He's hardly much, if at all better than Simpson.

A prime example. He's no world beater but he's a good defender and links up and attacks well. Bagged a deflected goal last week at Wigan from getting in the box. I'd bite your hand off to swap him for Simpson until we finally sign ourselves a classy FB.