Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Simpson was signed on a Championship wage. It's not unreasonable for him to ask for a raise considering he's our current first choice right back in the Premier League.

What concerns me is that Colo is on a reported 80k a week. We have shown a number if times now that we are either lowering wages or offering the same terms when it comes to new contacts. There's no way on earth we'll sanction a 80k a week new deal and will be expecting our captain to take a big hit on his wages.

Make no mistake, he'll be off next summer.

Sounds stupid but I've already resigned myself to as much, already. If something does manage to get sorted then It'll be a humongously pleasant surprise.

What concerns me is that Colo is on a reported 80k a week. We have shown a number if times now that we are either lowering wages or offering the same terms when it comes to new contacts. There's no way on earth we'll sanction a 80k a week new deal and will be expecting our captain to take a big hit on his wages.

Make no mistake, he'll be off next summer.

I keep hoping (no doubt in vain) that somewhere along the line where a player is deemed to be so valuable to the team, that an exception will be made.  I am sure there is no way that we could offer £80k a week but maybe for once, the club might actually negotiate for a change so that a compromise could be reached.

He thinks he should be playing for England. He probably asked for £50k a week.

Hopefully they don't see him as a first choice Premier League right back and have offered him a contract that matches what his status should be- back up at best.

We shouldn't be offering large contracts to players just because they are currently our first choice. All that will happen is that we're unable to move them on and therefore unable to improve.

He's got 2 years left on his current contract. Most people on here think he's average. Maybe a player like Pieters or Cissokho will be bought to replace him and switch Santon to Right back. Rumours of Celtic and QPR being interested in him give an indication of what his standing in football is (although to be fair Aston Villa were also supposedly interested).

Simpson was signed on a Championship wage. It's not unreasonable for him to ask for a raise considering he's our current first choice right back in the Premier League.

He is probably getting a raise. But he'll not be our first choice rb for long. Taylor has managed better so far, on LEFT back.

Also, I don't think it necessarily sends a good message to other players who maybe are really happy and settled at NUFC.  Their agents are probably already anticipating unsatisfactory contract offers perhaps causing them to start the process early to find new clubs for their players which may lead to players leaving the club sooner than they might have done otherwise.

Also, I don't think it necessarily sends a good message to other players who maybe are really happy and settled at NUFC.  Their agents are probably already anticipating unsatisfactory contract offers perhaps causing them to start the process early to find new clubs for their players which may lead to players leaving the club sooner than they might have done otherwise.

Most of the players we want to keep have recently signed or signed on on 5 year contracts. If they weren't happy with the terms they wouldn't have signed the contract.

Regardless of what you think of Simpson (my own personal opinion - great lad, great pro, average player) it's pretty worrying that the club are completely incapable of negotiating contracts with our current crop of players...except for Shola.

Yep. Can't really be good for team morale. Play well, stay loyal to the club, get your wages cut.

Regardless of what you think of Simpson (my own personal opinion - great lad, great pro, average player) it's pretty worrying that the club are completely incapable of negotiating contracts with our current crop of players...except for Shola.

Yep. Can't really be good for team morale. Play well, stay loyal to the club, get your wages cut.

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable break down in relations between the club and Colo/Jonas within the next few months :(

What about Tiote? Williamson? Taylor? Krul? Carroll? Ranger? Ferguson?

All of those players have been rewarded with new contracts, presumably on greater pay, in reward for improvement or good performances.

The Ranger contract clearly shows the folly of giving a new contract to someone who isn't at the level we should be aspiring to be.

Has Williamson signed a new deal? I missed that if so.

The last four on your list were basically promoted from reserves/ youths over the last two years so of course they were going to sign first team contracts.

My concern is agreeing deals for established players. Taylor and Shola are the only ones we've got signed. Its well known that Tiote was on relative peanuts when he first signed.

Even though Simpson is a great pro and seems like a very likeable guy, I hope that our ambition will see him fall down the pecking order in the coming years. He'll struggle more this season with Barton not looking out for him, and the ideal solution looking forward would be to bring in a left back and move Santon to the right.

Tavernier seemingly coming through could also have an impact on the matter.

The last four on your list were basically promoted from reserves/ youths over the last two years so of course they were going to sign first team contracts.

My concern is agreeing deals for established players. Taylor and Shola are the only ones we've got signed. Its well known that Tiote was on relative peanuts when he first signed.

Williamson and Krul also signed last season.

And yet he was still willing to sign the first contract on those terms. If Danny Simpson doesn't want to sign the club will probably think they can get someone like Pieters or Cissokho who would be happy with the wages offered. The Premiership tends to have the highest wages so it's easier to persuade a foreign player to sign as it is usually a big wage rise for them.

I still don't understand how we are offering so shit wages we can't sign/re-sign Neil Taylor and Simpson but we can get people like Saylor and Tiote to sign new contracts while signing Ba, Marveaux on a free and tempt the likes of Cabaye, Santon, Ben Arfa and Obertan to sign.