Reading vs Newcastle United Pre Match Thread - 13/04/10 - 8pm

Stifler

Ok, so I'm off the main issue.  Sorry. My post was initially prompted to someone writing something to the effect that "other countries are laughing at us (England)" in regards to the cancellation of the matches. Which I don't think is true in the least. If anything, I'd imagine them to be non-plussed at the FA schduling matches right through the holiday season-- weather be damned.

Surely, safety and transportation concerns are part of the reason that snow-bound matches are avoided elsewhere in Europe. Not to mention the loss in revenue that follows from the low attendence of those matches. Of course in the United States, they just built large indoor domed stadiums in the north and south to eliminate all concerns about poor weather -- cold or heat-- and  public safety (and attendence).

Guest Roger Kint

Their going to go through a honey-moon period under their interim-soon-to-be-manager you can just tell, the same thing is happening with Plymouth right now, its predictable as f***. As far as the "Extra effort" for the cup, yeah thats no surprise, Im within the "most people" catetigory that you say, but the fact its us and their high on confidence, and how teams always want to grab the headlines by beating us in this league which is why I feared them.

As far as the fitness front goes, your right, it is a massive disadvantage.

Honeymoon? Havent won a game since 21st Nov and the game before Liverpool was a 4-1 mauling off Plymouth ;D

Bugger. Bet I won't get a refund for the train either.

Have you asked or is it 'not transferable'? They will for a nominal fee change the dates. Maybe worth a try.

In fact watch the train you where due to get as it coiuld quite easily be cancelled or late enough to incur at least a partial refund.

Ok, so I'm off the main issue.  Sorry. My post was initially prompted to someone writing something to the effect that "other countries are laughing at us (England)" in regards to the cancellation of the matches. Which I don't think is true in the least. If anything, I'd imagine them to be non-plussed at the FA schduling matches right through the holiday season-- weather be damned.

Surely, safety and transportation concerns are part of the reason that snow-bound matches are avoided elsewhere in Europe. Not to mention the loss in revenue that follows from the low attendence of those matches. Of course in the United States, they just built large indoor domed stadiums in the north and south to eliminate all concerns about poor weather -- cold or heat-- and  public safety (and attendence).

Most of the coldest NFL cities have outdoor stadiums though. Ironically most of the domes are in the warmer cities.

Bugger. Bet I won't get a refund for the train either.

Have you asked or is it 'not transferable'? They will for a nominal fee change the dates. Maybe worth a try.

In fact watch the train you where due to get as it coiuld quite easily be cancelled or late enough to incur at least a partial refund.

Checked before and it's a tenner to change the dates, but obviously the date hasn't been sorted yet. Could have been worse. Yeah I'm gonna keep an eye on it and try to get it all back as the train service is shit here atm.

Most of the coldest NFL cities have outdoor stadiums though. Ironically most of the domes are in the warmer cities.

I think it's pretty even actually, iirc there's 6 or 7 domes, and four of them are in colder climates.

This country is a joke when it comes to dealing with abnormal weather.

Compared to where? Worst weather in 30 years and as far as I can tell from the news most of Europe has stopped.

Guest Heneage

Compared to where? Worst weather in 30 years and as far as I can tell from the news most of Europe has stopped.

Denmark/Sweden/Norway seem to cope well with heavy snow fall.

The only plus point it's called off now and not 1230 on Saturday.

I think it's pretty even actually, iirc there's 6 or 7 domes, and four of them are in colder climates.

Yeah it is pretty even however when you add in stadiums with fully retractable roofs I believe there are more in the warmer cities than the cold ones.

But look at Green Bay, Chicago, New England, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York, Buffalo, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, Seattle etc etc all freezing in winter with proper outdoor stadiums.

You Brits are fucking pussies. "OOhh, snow in my tea guv'nor, no footy today."

http://sports.blogg.no/images/350730-5-1237844561337-n600.jpg

Yes, I'll keep bringing that photo up each time you cancel a match. Most stadiums got undersoil heating as well FFS. :angry:

You Brits are f***ing pussies. "OOhh, snow in my tea guv'nor, no footy today."

Yes, I'll keep bringing that photo up each time you cancel a match. Most stadiums got undersoil heating as well FFS. :angry:

Hehe crazy norwegians...

However I recall a Royal League game a couple a years ago where the norwegian club insisted on playing the game indoor...

Imagine Reading - Newcastle in an indoor arena :)

Hehe crazy norwegians...

However I recall a Royal League game a couple a years ago where the norwegian club insisted on playing the game indoor...

Imagine Reading - Newcastle in an indoor arena :)

They always play in an indoor arena tbf, if I'm thinking about the right club and match. ;)

http://multimedia.dn.no/archive/00168/LB_Telenor_Arena_168824c.jpg

Guess the fact we're not prepared for this weather compared to Scandanavian coutries is purely down to being pragmatic. If this sort of weather only happens once ever 20 years it doesn't make sense to plan for it.

You can pay to have an army of snowploughs, gritters and staff on standby when 99% of the time they won't be used. All that spending couldn't really be justified.

Guest Phil K

To be fair, the snow in that - rather excellent, if I may say so ! - pic of the pitch, is a sprinkling.

Its 8" deep in most pitches up and down the country at LEAST - lot more in others - and the same on roads and pathways outside. These days of litagation lunacy, clubs dare not take the risk.

At least Reading did it early to stop a LOT travelling.

To be fair, the snow in that - rather excellent, if I may say so ! - pic of the pitch, is a sprinkling.

Its 8" deep in most pitches up and down the country at LEAST - lot more in others - and the same on roads and pathways outside. These days of litagation lunacy, clubs dare not take the risk.

At least Reading did it early to stop a LOT travelling.

That's because they took breaks every 15-20 mins in the first half to clear the pitch of snow. There were over a metre snow outside in Tromsø that day, and most of the winter iirc.

You Brits are fucking pussies. "OOhh, snow in my tea guv'nor, no footy today."

But its not about the state of the pitch why most games are off, It's about crowd safety mannnn.

From West brom's site:

Club hopeful game will go ahead

Posted on: Fri 08 Jan 2010

ALBION remain confident tonight's Hawthorns clash with promotion-rivals Nottingham Forest (ko 7.45pm) will go ahead.

The Hawthorns was subjected to further sub-zero temperatures overnight but the under-soil heating should make the pitch playable.

The club are once again hiring snow ploughs, gritters and extra manpower to clear the snow and ice from the stadium and all areas they are responsible for.

However, all of the above information is subject to any deterioration in the weather and we will make a further announcement on www.wba.co.uk should the circumstances change.

Supporters are urged to leave plenty of time for their journey to The Hawthorns tonight and to take extra care as they travel to the stadium, particularly as some public pathways remain untreated.

Fans are also advised to wear suitably warm attire as the temperatures are again expected to plummet below zero during the game.

Why couldn't Reading do that as well? Not really rocket science.

Guest toonlass

From West brom's site:

ALBION remain confident tonight's Hawthorns clash with promotion-rivals Nottingham Forest (ko 7.45pm) will go ahead.

The Hawthorns was subjected to further sub-zero temperatures overnight but the under-soil heating should make the pitch playable.

The club are once again hiring snow ploughs, gritters and extra manpower to clear the snow and ice from the stadium and all areas they are responsible for.

However, all of the above information is subject to any deterioration in the weather and we will make a further announcement on www.wba.co.uk should the circumstances change.

Supporters are urged to leave plenty of time for their journey to The Hawthorns tonight and to take extra care as they travel to the stadium, particularly as some public pathways remain untreated.

Fans are also advised to wear suitably warm attire as the temperatures are again expected to plummet below zero during the game.

I suppose Nottingham is a good deal closer to Birmingham than Newcastle is to Reading. Its not as massive a coach journey for all their away fans

But its not about the state of the pitch why most games are off, It's about crowd safety mannnn.

it's really about how much everyone wants to pay  for insurance against a once in 30 year occurrence.............

You can just imagine the Mail "millions of Rate payers cash wasted on Snow Ploughs & Salt"

They probably cope better but in countries where there's always a fair bit of snow at winter it's bound to be dealt with better. If they had their worst conditions for 30/40 years there's probably be a fair bit of hassle there too.

From West brom's site:

I suppose Nottingham is a good deal closer to Birmingham than Newcastle is to Reading. Its not as massive a coach journey for all their away fans

Apparently Sky TV paid to ensure major roads within 10 miles of the Hawthornes were clear. They would have lost more money in advertising revenue if the televised game was called off than the cost of clearing the roads.