Reading vs Newcastle United Pre Match Thread - 13/04/10 - 8pm

Stifler

Guest Hellhammer

Its easy for Scandinavians i guess to laugh about it, but even here in Norway, or at least many places in Norway, it has been totally panic when this heavy snowfall started, and it did seem like they werent use to this kind of weather, even though we are use to snow here.

And since it been quite "heavy" snowfall in England as well, were i guess they are not that use to this kinda weather, i can easily understand why they struggle to handle it.

Ok, so I'm off the main issue.  Sorry. My post was initially prompted to someone writing something to the effect that "other countries are laughing at us (England)" in regards to the cancellation of the matches. Which I don't think is true in the least. If anything, I'd imagine them to be non-plussed at the FA schduling matches right through the holiday season-- weather be damned.

Surely, safety and transportation concerns are part of the reason that snow-bound matches are avoided elsewhere in Europe. Not to mention the loss in revenue that follows from the low attendence of those matches. Of course in the United States, they just built large indoor domed stadiums in the north and south to eliminate all concerns about poor weather -- cold or heat-- and  public safety (and attendence).

Most of the coldest NFL cities have outdoor stadiums though. Ironically most of the domes are in the warmer cities.

I think it's pretty even actually, iirc there's 6 or 7 domes, and four of them are in colder climates.

Yeah it is pretty even however when you add in stadiums with fully retractable roofs I believe there are more in the warmer cities than the cold ones.

But look at Green Bay, Chicago, New England, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York, Buffalo, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, Seattle etc etc all freezing in winter with proper outdoor stadiums.

dont know if this has already been mentioned but you can't compare NFL and Football when it comes to weather cancellations. Literally the only weather that'll threaten an NFL game is an electric storm directly above the stadium

Guest Roger Kint

Has the Bengals game went ahead? Very impressed by the spirit of the fans to make sure even if it didnt

:nods:

On right now actually.

Unreal, i watched them scraping all manner of shite off the stands/surrounding area i would love to think if we had a home game it would be the same, they were fantastic

Has the Bengals game went ahead? Very impressed by the spirit of the fans to make sure even if it didnt

On right now actually.

Unreal, i watched them scraping all manner of shite off the stands/surrounding area i would love to think if we had a home game it would be the same, they were fantastic

Although the way it's going they probably wish they hadn't fucking bothered...

Guest Roger Kint

On right now actually.

Unreal, i watched them scraping all manner of s**** off the stands/surrounding area i would love to think if we had a home game it would be the same, they were fantastic

Although the way it's going they probably wish they hadn't f***ing bothered...

always the way mate, work miracles and the twats in shirts dont perform ;D

You Brits are f***ing pussies. "OOhh, snow in my tea guv'nor, no footy today."

http://sports.blogg.no/images/350730-5-1237844561337-n600.jpg

Yes, I'll keep bringing that photo up each time you cancel a match. Most stadiums got undersoil heating as well FFS. :angry:

To be fair, the snow in that - rather excellent, if I may say so ! - pic of the pitch, is a sprinkling.

Its 8" deep in most pitches up and down the country at LEAST - lot more in others - and the same on roads and pathways outside. These days of litagation lunacy, clubs dare not take the risk.

At least Reading did it early to stop a LOT travelling.

That's because they took breaks every 15-20 mins in the first half to clear the pitch of snow. There were over a metre snow outside in Tromsø that day, and most of the winter iirc.

This was supposed to be a proffesional game of Football yeah?  Not jumpers for goals posts down the local park :lol:

An rumours on when this might get played? Looking at the fixtures there are not many weeks when there is a free midweek. Can't imagine them playing on 4th round day if both clubs get knocked out as its fairly short notice.

Beyond that the 2nd Feb is free but that week is reserved for Cup replays and it'd have to be on the Tuesday as we have Cardiff on the Friday. Next free spot is the 24th Feb but again this is a cup replay week.

I'm hoping for the following midweek, which is completely free, as it's only a couple of days after Watford and could stay down there for a few days.

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that our Championship fixture versus Reading at the Madejski Stadium, which was originally scheduled for Saturday 9 January 2010 but was postponed, will now take place on Tuesday 23 February 2010 (kick off 8pm).

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that our Championship fixture versus Reading at the Madejski Stadium, which was originally scheduled for Saturday 9 January 2010 but was postponed, will now take place on Tuesday 23 February 2010 (kick off 8pm).

So basically if either club have an FA Cup replay then it will be postponed again then.

So basically if either club have an FA Cup replay then it will be postponed again then.

5th round replay in fairness, it's not impossible but it's a fucker if people book up to go to this again and it gets moved once more.

Fingers crossed

Why didn't they just put it in for the following week when there would have been no possible conflicts. Do Reading have other games to catch up on.

Can't see going down to Reading on the Tuesday and then down again for Watford on the Saturday, having probably been to Swansea 10 days earlier.

Why didn't they just put it in for the following week when there would have been no possible conflicts. Do Reading have other games to catch up on.

Can't see going down to Reading on the Tuesday and then down again for Watford on the Saturday, having probably been to Swansea 10 days earlier.

That's what I'm thinking, won't go to Swansea but probably Watford. If Grumpy puts a coach on for Reading I might consider it.

Guest toonlass

If this means people can't go, will there be a refund and resale mechanism? Because I might take advantage of someone's misfortune to get myself a ticket.

Yup

Its whether they will rearrange earlier if either team makes the 5th round or wait until after the 5th round games (13th Feb) to decide. Our worse case would be making the 5th round, which pospones the Swansea game, and then having a 5th round replay as that'd bump the Reading game. The Swansea games would probably have filled the free slot and no idea where that'd leave Reading again.