Carroll for Scotland?

nufcmichael

Well if we knock it to his head constantly, that'll probably stand out more yeah.

He's hardly been messing up our beautifully flowing football with bad ball control. None of the strikers get it anywhere other than with their backs to goal anyway.

No top teams would play with such a one dimensional player these days. I can't recall too many players who's only purpose in the team was to accept long balls. Hence the idea of the 'target man' must evolve along with football.

That was my original point tbh.

I didn't really get that from what you were saying.

Well if we knock it to his head constantly, that'll probably stand out more yeah.

He's hardly been messing up our beautifully flowing football with bad ball control. None of the strikers get it anywhere other than with their backs to goal anyway.

Shola seems to.

Guest palnese

Drogba is a target man. He isn't a conventional target man, but he is a target man.

Yep. He is a complete striker. One of very few in this world.

Drogba is a target man. He isn't a conventional target man, but he is a target man.

Which was my point.

There is no such thing as a conventional target man, strikers have to have so much more thesedays. A target man, by definition, has to be a target for the balls (ooer) of his teammates. It doesn't matter how that arises, long balls, drilled passes, in the channels. It's all the same.

To expand my definition, Manchester United used Cristiano Ronaldo as a target man for the last three seasons he was at Old Trafford. They knew they could give him the ball anywhere on the pitch and in any fashion and he would take it, chase it, hold it, flick it or run with it. But they knew he'd do something with it.

Shola seems to.

Barely atall. Recieves it with back to goal nearly always. Carrolls weakness is his movement, which can be improved.

Just because he's complete, doesn't make him a target man. Most of his good work in the last 4 seasons has occured when he gets the ball to his feet.

So you're defining a target man as someone who get's the ball mainly in the air. An old-fashioned English centre forward.

Therein lies the problem. Old Fasihioned. It is not current. That sort of football is not succesful anymore which is why that sort of player has been phased out.

You need to update your idea of what a target man is otherwise, as I suspect you want, this arguement will go round and round. Football has changed and old principals are no longer valid, thusly your position is not valid as the position of target man you refer to is no longer part of the game.

Guest Stephen927

Just because he's complete, doesn't make him a target man. Most of his good work in the last 4 seasons has occured when he gets the ball to his feet.

He is a target man in the sense that near enough every attack comes through him, he is constantly getting the ball into feet and constantly the target at corners and free kicks.

So you're defining a target man as someone who get's the ball mainly in the air. An old-fashioned English centre forward.

Therein lies the problem. Old Fasihioned. It is not current. That sort of football is not succesful anymore which is why that sort of player has been phased out.

You need to update your idea of what a target man is otherwise, as I suspect you want, this arguement will go round and round. Football has changed and old principals are no longer valid, thusly your position is not valid as the position of target man you refer to is no longer part of the game.

When I said 'target men are a thing of the past' I was referring to my understanding of the definition. ie the conventional idea of a striker principally used as a target for long, high balls.

This type of player, imo is extinct at the top levels of the game. And this is what I primarily see Carroll as, which is why I made the assertion in this thread in the first place.

He is a target man in the sense that near enough every attack comes through him, he is constantly getting the ball into feet and constantly the target at corners and free kicks.

This describes Kaka perfectly when he was at Milan. Our definitions of the term are different. :thup:

Guest Stephen927

This describes Kaka perfectly when he was at Milan. Our definitions of the term are different. :thup:

Kaka played in midfield behind the strikers, Drogba up front. Kaka is a playmaker, Drogba is a target man.

Guest Stephen927

So you agree that 'every attack comes through him, he is constantly getting the ball into feet' doesn't neccessarily equate to a target man?

As I said, we have different definitions of the term.

Okay, my definition of a target man is a striker who will hold up and link up play, who the team constantly looks at to play the ball to, whether in the air or on the deck. A playmaker is a midfielder or deep lying forward like Totti who the team look to create something for the strikers.

What is your definition of a target man?

In my opinion, a target man is the guy you give the ball to upfront and he keeps possession while allowing the rest of the line to come forward and exploit the openings that are created when the defence focuses on him. That's why height and strength are great assets as they help to obtain and shield the ball. He is not meant to finish the play, but to be the last link point of it.