Carroll for Scotland?

nufcmichael

Name me one succesful team in England, Italy or Spain in the last 5 years that uses a conventional target man please. And Drogba most certainly isn't one just because he's strong and good in the air.

If a decent part of your role in a football team is to win headers (from a targeted long ball), hold up the ball and bring others into play you're a target man. In this day and age you also probably need other skills but that still makes you a target man.

Drogba

Crouch

Llorente

Klose

RVP's role for Holland was basically a target man. He was just shit at it.

Van Nistelrooy did that role excellently in Euro 2008 though.

Dzeko

Adebayor

Santa Cruz

Isn't it all a bit of a pointless argument anyway?  There aren't many players in the world who could be so limited and one dimensional as to be described as a 'target man' in the way some people are interpreting it and be playing for a team who would be winning things. 

The fact is that most successful clubs will have a player who can fulfil the role of a target man, whilst also bringing other attributes with them.  Drogba is a good example - he does perform the role of a target man, but also brings far more than that to the Chelsea team.

Carroll would be bloody stupid to switch to Scotland right now, the only way in hell I would play for them if I was him was if there was absolutely no possible way for him to ever play for England, there's very much a chance of that now. He's not even remotely Scottish ffs.

im the only one that dont give a toss who he plays for or international football at all.

you want to see the best teams in the world you watch champions league football not the world cup or european cup.

Are Adebayor & Santa Cruz not targetmen? Haven't done too shabby the last two years.

FWIW my definition of a target man is perhaps unconventional - for me a target man has a lack of movement on the pitch if you like...has a singular way of playing and fighting the CB's for the ball within the width of the 18 yard box

he's a target man because the rest of the team always know where he is, they don't need to be looking which side of the pitch he's ventured into before playing the pass 'cause he's always in the same sort of area ready to battle for the ball

mick harford was a target man, for example

This f***ing ridiculous arguement again.

What success has Peter Crouch had? Or Adebayor and Santa Cruz?

People need to read posts before spouting their 'look at me' bullshit.

People have already mentioned Drogba. Adebayour is basically Drogba-lite, does he only count as a target man because he's kinda shit?

Crouch regular in a team that finished 4th.

Adebayour was a regular in a team regularly challenging in the latter stages of CL and Premiership.

Are Adebayor & Santa Cruz not targetmen? Haven't done too shabby the last two years.

FWIW my definition of a target man is perhaps unconventional - for me a target man has a lack of movement on the pitch if you like...has a singular way of playing and fighting the CB's for the ball within the width of the 18 yard box

he's a target man because the rest of the team always know where he is, they don't need to be looking which side of the pitch he's ventured into before playing the pass 'cause he's always in the same sort of area ready to battle for the ball

mick harford was a target man, for example

That's like saying for a winger you have to be small quick and constantly whip in crosses.

Robben has been the best winger in the World last season and he hardly ever uses his right foot despite playing their for both club and country.

Or that a poacher can't have any strong physical characteristics.

If you fulfil the role, you can be used as that kind of player no matter what else you can do.

This f***ing ridiculous arguement again.

What success has Peter Crouch had? Or Adebayor and Santa Cruz?

People need to read posts before spouting their 'look at me' bullshit.

People have already mentioned Drogba. Adebayour is basically Drogba-lite, does he only count as a target man because he's kinda s***?

Crouch regular in a team that finished 4th.

Adebayour was a regular in a team regularly challenging in the latter stages of CL and Premiership.

So my point stands then? When I said 'success' I certainly didn't mean finishing fourth.

The terms target man, poacher, forward, number 10 striker, as well as, box to box and play maker are all non-sense catagories in which we try to group various footballers in order to make the system of selecting teams a bit easier.

The truth on the subject is that footballers (in fact human beings) are all very different from one another.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck that.

By the way, what a little runt that Kenny Miller looks like. He's worse than Bellamy in the snidey punchable cunt stakes. I'd hate to see us sign him purely for this, regardless of his (lack of) footballing ability.

But then, for some reason, England have a shocking record of U21 players moving onto the senior squad.

This is the top ten leading appearances for the U21s:

Milner

Huddlestone

Carson

S Taylor

Carragher

Barry

Prutton

Muamba

Pennant

Defoe

Reo-Coker

But then, for some reason, England have a shocking record of U21 players moving onto the senior squad.

This is the top ten leading appearances for the U21s:

Milner

Huddlestone

Carson

S Taylor

Carragher

Barry

Prutton

Muamba

Pennant

Defoe

Reo-Coker

I think that's because if a player gets lots of appearences for the U21s they're not good enough to make the step up. The best ones nearly always breakthrough to the full squad early and hence aren't capped by the U21s up until they're 22/23. For example there is a lot of talk that Wilshere has been left out of the U21s because Capello wants him for the full team, and he's only what, 18?