Carroll for Scotland?

nufcmichael

I don't have a problem with the granny rule (see above posts) but like I said, once you're 18 you should make a decision and that's it. No changing you're mind cos you didn't get picked for the first choice.

I don't like the 'naturalised' rule either. Fair enough, grandparents, at least it's a blood connection. But just living somewhere for 4 or 5 years shouldn't make you eligible to play for that country.

Won't Arteta be eligible to play for England this year or something due to being uncapped and here 5 years?

Guest Stephen927

I don't have a problem with the granny rule (see above posts) but like I said, once you're 18 you should make a decision and that's it. No changing you're mind cos you didn't get picked for the first choice.

I don't like the 'naturalised' rule either. Fair enough, grandparents, at least it's a blood connection. But just living somewhere for 4 or 5 years shouldn't make you eligible to play for that country.

Won't Arteta be eligible to play for England this year or something due to being uncapped and here 5 years?

Yeah he will be, but I think he's fairly adament he wants to play for Spain.

Even if he is allowed to play for England I wouldn't want him too. You've got club football to earn millions and play all over the world. International Football should be about doing the best for your country and the pride of your nation.

I have more of an issue with people representing nations that they have not been in anyway associated with such as Carroll and scotland than someone that has taken residency in a country for a number of years and calls it his home.

For example in cricket I have no problem whatsover in Peitersen, Strauss, Trott or Prior representing England even though none were born here, because they have made the country their home and commited to it.

On the flip side, Carroll's never lived in scotland, might never have even visited it, I don't know, clearly he has not taken the country to his heart. Ireland did this all the time during the Charlton years, how many of those players back then who wore the green shirts, spoke with an irish accent, when you hear the like of Andy Townsend, John Aldridge and Tony Cascarino speak, it's clear that theirs was a choice made out of convience and had they been good enough to play for England they would have done.

If you object to this, you should see what happens in Rugby and Cricket... you can basically just pick a country!

Exactly what I was thinking - the parents and grandparents rule won England the Ashes ;)

That said, it doesn't always work out that s**** players turn out for second rate nations - sometimes second rate nations lose players to "better" countries thanks to this rule. In the 2006 World Cup, the Croatian team that played Australia contained three Australian-born players (Simunic, Seric and Didiluca) who turned their backs on the country on the land of their birth to play for the "better" nation of their forefathers. Which made kicking them out of the tournament that much sweeter...

Seems to be a recurring theme with players from Yugoslav backgrounds.

The Swiss lost out on both Petric and Rakitic to Croatia, aswell as Kuzmanovic to Serbia.I seem to remember Rakitic getting a very bad response off the Swiss public because of his switch - his Dad was denied citizenship there and the family recieved threats from Right wing political groups. I guess it's up to them if they want to play for the nation of their 'bloodline' but it does seem very unfair on a country that's funded the development to make them into the players that they are.

Guest Stephen927

tbf, he's England's best young target man.. Not that it means anything in today's game..

I'm struggling to think of others, tbh.

Target men are a thing of the past.

I knew you'd conclude that, the fine football connaisseur that you are.. But guess what, you're wrong.. AGAIN!

Like when I told you Lovenkrands had better control than Carroll and you disagreed?

Target men are a thing of the past.

I knew you'd conclude that, the fine football connaisseur that you are.. But guess what, you're wrong.. AGAIN!

Like when I told you Lovenkrands had better control than Carroll and you disagreed?

yeah..

but feel free to remind me of that debate the next time little Pete holds off two players, stops the ball on his chest, turns around and passes the ball

yeah..

but feel free to remind me of that debate the next time little Pete holds off two players, stops the ball on his chest, turns around and passes the ball

What on earth does that have to with his control?

Name me one succesful team in England, Italy or Spain in the last 5 years that uses a conventional target man please. And Drogba most certainly isn't one just because he's strong and good in the air.

He is

Name me one succesful team in England, Italy or Spain in the last 5 years that uses a conventional target man please. And Drogba most certainly isn't one just because he's strong and good in the air.

Ruud van Nistlerooy at Manchester United.

Never in a million years a target man and hasn't been succesful with them in the last 5 years.

So when Man Utd were constantly getting the ball out wide and whipping balls into the area ...? and when he was linking up with the midfield by holding off a defender.. that's not a target man?  since when?