A balanced team - does it matter?

TRon

Said before tonight's game that it was the most balanced team I'd seen hughton send out in a long time, i.e. 11 players playing in their natural position. Ryan taylor at RB not in midfield, Nolan as an attacking midfielder not up front, two wide players, two forwards. Is it just that Plymouth were that shite, or does picking players in their natural positions really work?

Said before tonight's game that it was the most balanced team I'd seen hughton send out in a long time, i.e. 11 players playing in their natural position. Ryan taylor at RB not in midfield, Nolan as an attacking midfielder not up front, two wide players, two forwards. Is it just that Plymouth were that shite, or does picking players in their natural positions really work?

Definitely,we've been playing square pegs in round holes far too often this season.

Clearly it does. Look what two natural wingers did today, even with the slow middle pairing.

There was some talk that Pancrate hadn't been mentioned much in the match thread, but Supermac was literally drooling at the impact of the two wide men on the way the game panned out. I wonder how many teams in the Championship could cope if we didn't handicap ourselves with ultra negative line ups?

Picking the right team is what matters.  And picking Harewood ahead of Lovenkrands has been the problem.

So you think we can play any combination of midfield as long as Lovenkrands is up front?

Guest firetotheworks

It really matters. It takes an insightful manager to to reinvent a players position, its just funny that a lot of shit managers think they can do it (Souness playing Bellamy on the right wing etc)

Picking the right team is what matters.  And picking Harewood ahead of Lovenkrands has been the problem.

So you think we can play any combination of midfield as long as Lovenkrands is up front?

Not sure that's what I said like? :dontknow: :lol:

You said picking Harewood ahead of Lovenkrands was the problem. Did you mean something else then?

You said picking Harewood ahead of Lovenkrands was the problem. Did you mean something else then?

No, I said picking the right team rather than a balanced team is what matters.  And Harewood out and Lovenkrands in is a good example of that.

As i've highlighted elsewhere - i ain't seen the game... but i'd still go Guthrie-Smith-Nolan-Jonas. There's no reason why we can't play actual football (as we've seemingly done tonight) with that midfield. Guthrie's not naturally a winger but he's still very dangerous. Pancrate's an imposter.

I know Pancrate didnt get on the ball much, but id liked to have seen his movement. With his pace/runs he could have been dragging a defender away constantly opening up space, but thats a subtle benefit that isnt always seen in players.

Or he may have just been rubbish.

I do like us having two pacey wingers though, the more pacey our team is in general the more i prefer it. Loven included. Get a ball player in centre mid to feed them all & we'd be a far better side quite quickly.

No, I said picking the right team rather than a balanced team is what matters.  And Harewood out and Lovenkrands in is a good example of that.

Yes of course you are right. Picking the right team is obviously the best option. Well spotted. Now all we need to do is pick the right team and start Lovenkrands ahead of Harewood and we should be ok. That will be made easier by the fact that Harewood isn't here as well.

Yes of course you are right. Picking the right team is obviously the best option. Well spotted. Now all we need to do is pick the right team and start Lovenkrands ahead of Harewood and we should be ok. That will be made easier by the fact that Harewood isn't here as well.

I said had been the problem. You're canny thick really.

This is what you said mate. I know you like to get bogged down in the details rather than the gist, but just FYI.

Not trying to be critical for the sake of it but the way we played tonight most certainly wont get the better of Brom on Monday. Nolan looked knackered after 20 minutes and literally couldn't run by the end of the game (Hughton's such a clueless dickhead) and Butt was his usual wasteful self, as for Pancrate.

Jonas, Enrique and Loven won us that game tonight.

Picking the right team is what matters. And picking Harewood ahead of Lovenkrands has been the problem.

This is what you said mate. I know you like to get bogged down in the details rather than the gist, but just FYI.

Yep picking the right team.

Picking the wrong players (ie central midfielders Butt & Geremi ahead of central midfielder Guthrie in the middle, and forward Harewood ahead of forward Lovenkrands) has been the problem.

I know you're trying to make it look like I've said something I haven't, but you can't.

They are the details which make the difference.

Yep picking the right team. 

Picking the wrong players (ie central midfielders Butt & Geremi ahead of central midfielder Guthrie in the middle, and forward Harewood ahead of forward Lovenkrands) has been the problem. 

I know you're trying to make it look like I've said something I haven't, but you can't.

They are the details which make the difference.

Well why not include the details in your first post instead of glib crap about one forward selected over another? The fucking thread was about the balance of the team after all.