The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As i've said, I have zero faith in him to show ruthlessness in addressing the weakest part of the team. Nolan has been a disgrace for most of the season but he's never been dropped and has only been subsituted (that I can remember) once.

To say he has been a disgrace, is nothing short of embarrasing TBF.

Nolan's attitude has been brilliant and he has brought a dozen goals to the team. To say that he lacks fitness and ability on the ball would be accurate enough but to say he has been a disgrace is laughable.

His attitude on the pitch is good. That however, is the easy part.

I'm mystified by Nolan sometimes - the guy is a bit of a contradiction.

He does seem to care, and he has good attitude on the pitch. I just can't understand why that attitude doesn't drive him to sort his fitness out. Maybe he is trying, I don't know.

He's the last white Nigerian, the geezer is 42.

The players were only partially responsible for our relegation from the premiership. Before blaming the players i'd look towards the owner, chairman and management, who were the architect of our downfall.

The players we had last year were lazy, selfish and gutless at times. However, they were also unorganised, unfit, as well as severely lacking confidence and leadership, this was down to the idiots upstairs.

Those who think that the same group of players can't "do a job" in premiership, merely because of the manner of our relegation are shortsighted.

The team will need a good appraisal, especially in midfield, and there will be huge question marks over the capability of the management. Those players who get us promoted will bare little resemblence in organisation, communication, team spirit, confidence and fitness to those who got us relegated... even if there is a lack of talent in certain areas.

I'm taking £10 bets with any fucker on here that CH will be gone by Xmas? Savvy?  :snod:

What's that got to do with me?

Put your money where your mouth is.

As i've said, I have zero faith in him to show ruthlessness in addressing the weakest part of the team. Nolan has been a disgrace for most of the season but he's never been dropped and has only been subsituted (that I can remember) once.

Nolan's attitude has been brilliant and he has brought a dozen goals to the team. To say that he lacks fitness and ability on the ball would be accurate enough but to say he has been a disgrace is laughable.

He does seem to care, and he has good attitude on the pitch. I just can't understand why that attitude doesn't drive him to sort his fitness out. Maybe he is trying, I don't know.

The amount of times he appears in a certain thread in the chat section would appear not. As would his stamina which has if anything worsened over the course of the season.

So his attitude is good but he's a disgrace. I save words like that for terrible owners.

The amount of times he appears in a certain thread in the chat section would appear not. As would his stamina which has if anything worsened over the course of the season.

Yeah, I know evidence suggests he isn't training that hard. Thing is, even if he started busting a gut with extra fitness sessions now, it would be too late to make a difference for this season.

I just hope he spends the summer working hard on his fitness, or he's going to be obliterated in the premier league.

Like I said. Why? Why do you think he's a disgrace? Because so far the only reason you've given is not dropping our top scorer.

The players were only partially responsible for our relegation from the premiership. Before blaming the players i'd look towards the owner, chairman and management, who were the architect of our downfall.

The players we had last year were lazy, selfish and gutless at times. However, they were also unorganised, unfit, as well as severely lacking confidence and leadership, this was down to the idiots upstairs.

Those who think that the same group of players can't "do a job" in premiership, merely because of the manner of our relegation are shortsighted.

The team will need a good appraisal, especially in midfield, and there will be huge question marks over the capability of the management. Those players who get us promoted will bare little resemblence in organisation, communication, team spirit, confidence and fitness to those who got us relegated... even if there is a lack of talent in certain areas.

I'm taking £10 bets with any fucker on here that CH will be gone by Xmas? Savvy?  :snod:

Seems to be that you can't read but since i've got nothing better to do, i'll explain.

I implied that those who base our potential performance in the premiership next year, on our performance last year, are ignoring certain factors.

I didn't say they would do a good job, or that i believe Hughton will be in charge by Christmas. Savvy?

Seems to be that you can't read but since i've got nothing better to do, i'll explain.

I implied that those who base our potential performance in the premiership next year, on our performance last year, are ignoring certain factors.

I didn't say they would do a good job, or that i believe Hughton will be in charge by Christmas. Savvy?

Fair enough. I'm not saying he's totally at fault either....I'm just saying he isn't a PL manager and the quicker we get a new one the better...I'd rather we didn't wait till Christmas with the squad demoralised and scattered psychologically.

Nolan has never been naturally fit and he never will be. No amount of work in the gym will make him quicker or have more stamina IMO. I'm no fitness instructor but he doesn't look that sort of guy.

Even if he was fitter, it wouldn't give him ability on the ball.

I'm confused, you seem to rate Ameobi, who I see as bringing zero to the team except goals, yet you despise Nolan, who brings zero to the team except, err, goals. For what it's worth, I hope neither gets anywhere near the team next season, but this season they've been equally infuriating when on the pitch, yet have scored some vital goals that have won us matches.

As for the Birmingham comparison, i've been banging that drum for a while now. Whilst there is no guarantee we can go up and perform like them, I think there's also no guarantee we're coming straight back down. Using the players we got rid of compared to those we have signed is also a pretty harsh way of looking at it. There was so much wrong with last season's team, injuries, attitudes and lack of balance to the team being the obvious. I think we're all relatively agreed that we have a defence and goalkeeper that can at least match that of the bottom half of the Premier League and if we keep our wingers fit they'll do a decent job. What we need are Barton fit and playing well, at least another central midfielder to go with he and Guthrie, a back up for both wings would be nice, and obviously a decent striker. If we go into next season with a CM of Smith and Nolan then fair play, Hughton has fucked up, but until we actually get promoted and in a position to sign players good enough to play CM in the Prem, Hughton may well have decided it's not worth trying to deal with the issue now when we seem to be coping. He's gradually trying to shift Guthrie into the centre of the park and I reckon that when Routledge is fit again that Guthrie will be picked in the centre ahead of Smith or Nolan, it's just at present he feels it's better to keep Ryan Taylor and Pancrate out the team, which means shifting Guthrie.

So his attitude is good but he's a disgrace. I save words like that for terrible owners.

I said his attitude 'on the pitch' is good. His attitude overall is not.

I said his attitude 'on the pitch' is good. His attitude overall is not.

Do you know the lad personally?

I'm confused, you seem to rate Ameobi, who I see as bringing zero to the team except goals, yet you despise Nolan, who brings zero to the team except, err, goals. For what it's worth, I hope neither gets anywhere near the team next season, but this season they've been equally infuriating when on the pitch, yet have scored some vital goals that have won us matches.

I don't rate Shola at all. But he's scored a goal for just about every start in this league. Which means i'm happy for him to play.

He can't be compared to a midfielder scoring a goal every 3 games and doing nowt else. A midfielder is resposbile for winning and maintaining possession and driving the team forward. Nolan has neglected those responsibilities all seeason, as he did last year.

Fair enough. I'm not saying he's totally at fault either....I'm just saying he isn't a PL manager and the quicker we get a new one the better...I'd rather we didn't wait till Christmas with the squad demoralised and scattered psychologically.

Me view for what it's worth;

If we had a forward thinking chairman and a smart owner, i would be looking to bring in a new manager as soon as we are promoted but only if it was the right guy. When i say the right guy, i mean someone who has experiance and similar organisational skills to Hughton (i would move Hughton to assist if possible). Erikkson, Hodgson or Jol (unlikely) is the direction i would look.

However, we can't afford to lose Hughton for any old replacement, that would be suicide.

I think that Hughton could be may well gone by Christmas too but should he be our manager at the start of the season it will be with my full support and admiration for the hard work he has done.

I don't rate Shola at all. But he's scored a goal for just about every start in this league. Which means i'm happy for him to play.

He can't be compared to a midfielder scoring a goal every 3 games and doing nowt else. A midfielder is resposbile for winning and maintaining possession and driving the team forward. Nolan has neglected those responsibilities all seeason, as he did last year.

Just out of interest, who would you have playing in CM at the minute?

Not sure how that's relevant at all.

I'd alternate one of Nolan and Smith with Guthrie, personally. And when Barton comes back i'd probably start him with one of those 3. I most certainly wouldn't have Nolan playing 180 minutes of football in the space of 3 days anyway.

Not sure how that's relevant at all.

I'd alternate one of Nolan and Smith with Guthrie, personally. And when Barton comes back i'd probably start him with one of those 3. I most certainly wouldn't have Nolan playing 180 minutes of football in the space of 3 days anyway.

Well, it's relevant because you're using Nolan playing as a reason that Hughton isn't cut out to be our manager.

Totally agree with your midfield choices and I think Hughton might too. Guthrie, when Routledge has been available, has started in central midfield of late, and hopefully once Barton is fit he'll get on there regularly. I just think we're having to cut our cloth accordingly at the moment with Barton having been out so long and no decent option on the right side until Routledge was signed. Will be very interesting to see what our midfield does if and when we don't have any injuries. Would allow us a chance to judge Hughton more fairly in that respect.

Yeah, I quoted the wrong post further up, sorry about that. As far as Nolan's attitude goes, I've not seen enough games in person this season to judge whether what I see on TV (ie his complete non-appearance in games except when popping up with goals) is actually representative of his game play, or an unfortunate trick of the cameras (cameras also add weight, so of course he could also be a lot skinnier in person...!)

Helped a woman out of the snow? :lol:

He's been paid £40K a week and can barely run, man. His physical condition is an absolute abomination and if this isn't a reflection of his attitude and professionalism, then what is?