The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we add Tiote and Ben Arfa I reckon we've done well, maybe another utility defender on a loan would be good too if I was being greedy.

So far we've brought in:

Perch,

Gosling,

Campbell,

Tiote,

Ben Arfa (loan, hopefully)

If Taylor goes out of the door for about £3m then we'll have brought in all of that lot for a couple of million quid net.

That's a superb transfer window considering that statement. There's even the option of getting another defender or striker in on loan which wouldn't cost too much.

It's what annoys me a lot about the SJP stuff. I don't like the concept anyway, but things are going pretty well otherwise (by this regime's standards) and yet they still manage to find a way to piss fans off.

OTOH, there's a lot of people apparently desperate to find something to get pissed off about.

Should never ever say it's a good transfer window until we actually find out how these players are playing and how well the team is playing.  I said the same thing with souness and with allardyce, and I'm not making the same mistake again.

Very true and a good point. At least there are less expectations on this lot.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/javaImages/d2/6a/0,,10278~9005778,00.jpg

Hughton Wins Performance Of The Week Award

The League Managers Association five-man Performance of the Week panel, comprising LMA Chairman Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry, were in agreement that this week, the F&C Investments Performance of the Week Award should go to Newcastle United following their excellent 6-0 home win against Aston Villa in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday 22nd August 2010.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton will receive a specially engraved crystal football in a presentation to be screened on Sky Soccer Saturday on August 28th 2010. Newcastle started as they left off, having gone unbeaten at St James' Park throughout their league campaign last season.

First half goals from Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll made it 3-0 at half time, all after John Carew failed to convert a spot kick early on for Villa. Andy Carroll completed his hatrick in the second half and Kevin Nolan also grabbed his second to cap a memorable day for The Magpies.

After the match, Hughton was delighted with the performance and recognized the contribution of all of his players; "It was part of a really good team performance; there wasn't a player out there who didn't play well. "It won't be like that every week.

"We kept a clean sheet which is just as important as scoring goals."

Newcastle also followed up the impressive result with a Carling Cup win over Accrington on Wednesday 25th August.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100827/hughton-wins-performance-of-the-week-award_2240137_2136935

What has everyone made of his transfer buisness so far? Seems very good at identifying the positions we need to strengthen which past mangers haven't done. Williamson and Routledge look to be excellent buys, the likes of Simpson and Best perhaps not so much. It's not like we've splashed out mega bucks on them like but overall I think he's done alright.

Guest firetotheworks

WTF, they have a 5 man panel deciding who deserves this pointless award. What a waste of time and effort.

Blatantly a phone call/email.

'Alex, it's me..'

'Newcastle'

'OK, See you later.'

Guest neesy111

Williamson, Routledge = Very Good Business

Campbell, Perch, Gosling, Tiote = Jury is out until they all play at least 10 games

Simpson = Was needed in championship, but not good enough at premiership level

Leon Best = Panic signing after the crap of Moses and Beckford

Guest neesy111

Thought the Van Aanholt and Hall were decent cover too, particularly the former who I'd have back here in a heart beat. Khiz was shocking.

Van Aanholt was good, wouldn't mind him as cover for Enrique this season

Thought the Van Aanholt and Hall were decent cover too, particularly the former who I'd have back here in a heart beat. Khiz was shocking.

He wasn't shocking. He just played in the matches we had to play with the likes of Geremi, Butt, Smith and Harewood and also with Kadar at the back.

Put him in the side that played everyone out of SJP after January and he would have looked a lot better player.

Van Aanholt was good, wouldn't mind him as cover for Enrique this season

Think he could do a job on the left wing personally, his final ball was excellent.

He wasn't shocking. He just played in the matches we had to play with the likes of Geremi, Butt, Smith and Harewood and also with Kadar at the back.

Put him in the side that played everyone out of SJP after January and he would have looked a lot better player.

Thought he looked slow and off the space, he did have to play centre back with Simpson but they were probably as bad each other.

Think our transfer dealing since January has been quite decent, Best aside (although I can understand the reasoning behind buying him, even if it didn't quite work that way).

HBA and a striker in the mould of Keane on loan, and I'll be quietly confident.

He was alright while at first but he got into a crappy habit of constantly backing off. Maynard's goal while quality was an example of this at Ashton Gate.

As I've said. He played with an injury. I don't know how bad it was for him, but I think it could have had something to do with his bad form at that time.

Guest firetotheworks

Simpson isn't helped by the fact that the player he replaced was the best right back we've had in years, and that the player on the other side of the pitch is probably our best. Oh aye, and that he's absolutely fucking shit at defending.