The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What I dont get is why pack the midfield and play long balls.  Surely if you're going to do that you're byspassing the midfield, you need pace to make long balls work.  Sounds ridiculous but our best chance playing long balls would be his side.

Plenty of pace in Routledge Jonas and Loven to run onto flick ons.  Smith and Butt just defend as if you're playing long balls you don't need cm to play the ball.  The in effect front 4 would rarely defend leaving that to the 6 man defensive unit with fuly backs attacking alternatly.

Harper

Taylor/Sim      Colo                  Mike      Van Aanholt

Smith                Butt

Routledge(hardly any defending)            Jonas(Some defending but permisson to break whenever)

Loven          Carroll/ Shola

That he's young and inexperienced?

I get sick of this nonsense about young players not getting a chance, the team has to be put first.

So tell me when he hasnt been up to it when he has played ?

Kadar? He's looked Ok but I certainly wouldn't want him playing when we're up against it. Didn't have a good game against Donny or a particularly good one on Wednesday night imo. Was bad against Brom apparently.

Looks a good prospect but he's not ready yet. Williamson is an established defender.

Some of this criticism is unfair imo. Think back to the start of the season, how many we're saying we'd struggle to get into the play offs never mind go up automatically yet here we are, 4 points clear. Yes the football is fucking shit, but I remember someone saying Birmingham were the same last year, and look at them now. I remember the mackems saying the same about Keane when they went up, the only team I can really remember playing great football and going up was West Brom and they came straight back down finishing bottom.

The football is poor we know that, we know that this team wouldn't stay up, but now isn't the time to panic, Hughtons signings have been pretty shrewd so far, if we went up hopefully he'd carry on in this vain. I think I'm one of a few that have some sort of faith in Hughton tbh. We all know he isn't a world class manager but those who are saying he needs to go, who are we going to replace him with? Hypothetical situation; we go up, those that want him gone get their wish and he's off, what decent manager is going to want to come and work under Ashley and Llambias with the reputation they have? It wouldnt do our misrepresentation of being too demanding any good either because regardless of the shite football, people are going to look at the league table, see that we've gone up despite initial expectations and slate us for wanting him gone, rightly or wrongly what manager is going to want to work under fans that want forced their manager out despite being top of the league.

At the end of the day he's not an experienced manager and this is his first season as a manager, he's bound to make mistakes. So far, I think he's done a good job. To say that he must step down if we go up is a little harsh imo.

Long ball football only works when the midfield support the strikers, ours dont. Hughton overlooked how well theyd compliment his attacking gameplan for how efficient he thought theyd be defensively.

Mainly leaving flicks ons for Nolan as our only way to use longballs effectively. Nolan being a player who couldnt be more easily marked out of a game.

The last 10 minutes of the game showed signs of what we should be doing more often for the rest of it. Getting players foward to support when we get it up, which pulls back their players to mark them so theyre not overun. Then down the other end theyre short on numbers so when they clear it 80% of the time it goes right back to us. We continue to pressurize etc. Essentially what they did to us for a good 10 mins before they lost a man. Just apply attacking pressure, support and dont let up.

Guest firetotheworks

Im not a fan of Hughton by any means, but that thread title change is pathetic. It's a forum ffs, not a dictatorship.

Some of this criticism is unfair imo. Think back to the start of the season, how many we're saying we'd struggle to get into the play offs never mind go up automatically yet here we are, 4 points clear. Yes the football is f***ing s***, but I remember someone saying Birmingham were the same last year, and look at them now. I remember the mackems saying the same about Keane when they went up, the only team I can really remember playing great football and going up was West Brom and they came straight back down finishing bottom.

The football is poor we know that, we know that this team wouldn't stay up, but now isn't the time to panic, Hughtons signings have been pretty shrewd so far, if we went up hopefully he'd carry on in this vain. I think I'm one of a few that have some sort of faith in Hughton tbh. We all know he isn't a world class manager but those who are saying he needs to go, who are we going to replace him with? Hypothetical situation; we go up, those that want him gone get their wish and he's off, what decent manager is going to want to come and work under Ashley and Llambias with the reputation they have? It wouldnt do our misrepresentation of being too demanding any good either because regardless of the s**** football, people are going to look at the league table, see that we've gone up despite initial expectations and slate us for wanting him gone, rightly or wrongly what manager is going to want to work under fans that want forced their manager out despite being top of the league.

At the end of the day he's not an experienced manager and this is his first season as a manager, he's bound to make mistakes. So far, I think he's done a good job. To say that he must step down if we go up is a little harsh imo.

This is what id hope

The last time he pulled off a lineup that bad was against Barnsley. Same negative 4-5-1 & the start of our recent run of bad results & he clearly didnt learn from that.

Guest neesy111

the thing is just about everyone is growing sick of hughton's tactics now

we are going to blow this imo, and it'll all be down to hughton's ineptness

I get sick of this nonsense about young players not getting a chance, the team has to be put first.

:lol:

Why is giving kids experience nonsense?  Every single top player has started off as an inexperienced kid, every single one of them were given games in which they gained experience, many in a tougher division than the one we're in.  If we can't do it in this league then we'll never be in a position to do it.

:lol:

Why is giving kids experience nonsense?  Every single top player has started off as an inexperienced kid, every single one of them were given games in which they gained experience, many in a tougher division than the one we're in.  If we can't do it in this league then we'll never be in a position to do it.

Because then Ronny wouldn't be able to give opinions based on historical fact. Young new players need time and a proper chance to get into the swing of things. That is not allowed Mick.

You don't give kids experience at the expense of the team, you give them experience if they're good enough to step up.

Where has anybody advocated that we give kids experience at the expense of the team?  Does age automatically determine the level at which somebody should play?  The kids have only ever let us down when they've been played on mass in the League Cup.  Nobody is suggesting that we drop our first 11 and just bring the reserves and juniors in.

What is being suggested is that some of the kids wouldn’t play any worse than those which they could replace, at the same time they’ll gain experience which will hopefully make them better players.

Because then Ronny wouldn't be able to give opinions based on historical fact. Young new players need time and a proper chance to get into the swing of things. That is not allowed Mick.

Sorry.

You don't give kids experience at the expense of the team, you give them experience if they're good enough to step up.

Where has anybody advocated that we give kids experience at the expense of the team?  Does age automatically determine the level at which somebody should play?  The kids have only ever let us down when they've been played on mass in the League Cup.  Nobody is suggesting that we drop our first 11 and just bring the reserves and juniors in.

What is being suggested is that some of the kids wouldnt play any worse than those which they could replace, at the same time theyll gain experience which will hopefully make them better players.

The post I was responding to originally expressed sympathy for Kadar because Williamson has been brought in.

So we shouldn't have signed Williamson? What absolute bollocks, Kadar is a 19 year old kid.

Signing Williamson could prove to be a stroke of genius! If we end up selling Taylor for big bucks, we already have his replacement in MW for peanuts. But it still shouldnt stunt Kadar's growth. Its a long season and the boy hasnt shown that he's way out of his depth.

So we shouldn't have signed Williamson? What absolute bollocks, Kadar is a 19 year old kid.

Kadar was replaced yesterday by somebody who was 5 months younger than him.   :lol:

What's that got to do with him being replaced by Williamson?

What's that got to do with him being replaced by Williamson?

You seem to think inexperienced kids shouldn't get games at the expense of the team, you're on about Kadar who was dropped for somebody who is younger than him and has played 1 more game at club level than Kadar before yesterday.  Does age and experience only apply when it's Kadar up against Williamson?

I have no problem with the signing of Williamson, it was a good move by the club.