The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't think Hughton had a massive transfer budget so rightly prioritised right wing, central defender and striker. How good a central midfielder do you think you'd get for £1m anyway? I'd far rather wait until the summer and if we get promotion we should be able to invest in a quality player which we badly need. With Barton coming back we were never going to blow a big chunk of a small budget on a midfielder.

I understand that Hughton didn't have a massive budget and said somewhere else that he should have used what he did have to bring in loan players on better wages to bridge the gap in quality.  Barton coming back isn't something I would like to be risking promotion on because we've had nothing from him so far, at least nothing over a decent period of time.

But in the real world there's still only so many players you can have in your squad so until Barton, Nolan, Butt or Smith have gone, it was always unlikely we would be spending even more money in this department. I would think most of our wage bill is due to these guys. I would agree that Barton has been rubbish btw, but having seen the midfield in his absence I don't think there will be too many complaints if he comes back into the fray.

But in the real world there's still only so many players you can have in your squad so until Barton, Nolan, Butt or Smith have gone, it was always unlikely we would be spending even more money in this department. I would think most of our wage bill is due to these guys. I would agree that Barton has been rubbish btw, but having seen the midfield in his absence I don't think there will be too many complaints if he comes back into the fray.

We had money to spend on a forward and didn't spend it, we still had money at the end of the window so could have used that.  It doesn't matter if we are spending most of our wage bill on the midfield, they are not performing well and that is all that matters.  I doubt very much that we have a budget then split it by position played in.

We had money to spend on a forward and didn't spend it, we still had money at the end of the window so could have used that.  It doesn't matter if we are spending most of our wage bill on the midfield, they are not performing well and that is all that matters.  I doubt very much that we have a budget then split it by position played in.

No, but there's obviously some positions which are a higher priority than others. Central midfield isn't really one of them in this division. There's still the option of putting Guthrie or Barton into those positions after all.

:thup: not many are saying its simply down to picking the best eleven. But its consensus that he doesn't even do that. Can anybody really truly justify the choice of midfield that has been used consistency despite their apathy and ineptitude? I do understand that he has some s*** to contend with working at this mess of a club in the first place but sometimes he just baffles me to the point I can't be constructive anymore.

Before the last game itd only been 3 games since Nolan scored. Its a managers job to put faith in his players, let alone the sides top scorer. I imagine he'll be coming close to a decision to drop him soon, i see no reason to think he wouldnt. He has shown he can identify the weaknesses in our side previously, hes not blind. With Smith its a case of him or Butt & people are happy with neither at the moment. Butt was better than both in the last game for me, but people werent happy about him staying on either even though we ended up massively on top after the other two went off.

The things he does arent that baffling. You could argue that you'd do it differently, but the choices he's making arent as idiotic as theyre made out to be (on the whole).

Very good post, I've said before that the scoreboard and league table demands a much more cautious approach than most people would like. I don't always agree with Hughton's choices, but I can usually see where he's coming from.

No, but there's obviously some positions which are a higher priority than others. Central midfield isn't really one of them in this division. There's still the option of putting Guthrie or Barton into those positions after all.

We've had the Guthrie option for most of the season and have hardly used it.  I think the reason we haven't used him is that Hughton is happy with what we've had so far and that is a black mark for him as far as I'm concerned.

We've had the Guthrie option for most of the season and have hardly used it.  I think the reason we haven't used him is that Hughton is happy with what we've had so far and that is a black mark for him as far as I'm concerned.

In that case you'd make your case a lot better by making it clear that we already have better midfielders than those Hughton is picking rather than suggest briniging in some random loans or cheap panic buys.

In that case you'd make your case a lot better by making it clear that we already have better midfielders than those Hughton is picking rather than suggest briniging in some random loans or cheap panic buys.

I'm sure that I didn't mention random loans or cheap panic buys, if I was going to do that I would have mentioned Best.

This Thread convince me there are lots of low IQ people in this forum. Blaming the current manager for all the problems this club have is beyond imagination.

Thanks for proving your own point. 

Guest Brazilianbob

Completely lost faith after that apalling selection at the weekend. Jury was still out me with hughton until that. The man doesn't have the ability to identify the best 11 for the job

I think it's ridiculous how much Hughton's tactics are being criticised tbh. I laughed at the naivety of it before, but it really does seem like a lot of people think it's as simple as putting (what they think is) the best 11 players on the pitch at the same time all the time. This gives absolutely no consideration to the fact that the manager has far more information about the players to go on than we do. He sees how they perform in training, no doubt trying different formations, he gets fitness reports on them, he should even give consideration to their mental state and what's going on in their personal life. He also has to try and balance playing the best team every week with rotating things to make sure the same players don't wear themselves out over a long season and that fringe players are not frozen out. We've got 5 games in 16 days coming up next, but I guess that won't come into the equation when people convince themselves the 11 players they put in a formation on a message board would have played beautiful flowing football and won every game 4-0.

The fact is Hughton has very limited options to change things in any significant way as the players we have are limited in their ability. We've been very limited in terms of numbers in wide players, and in central midfield they are all much of a muchness except that Nolan has a knack of scoring goals. The players are good enough to get results in this league in the style we've been playing, but no way in the world is it going to be pretty no matter who plays or how they line up, and if we did try to change it there's absolutely no guarantee that "better" football would even maintain the same level of results let alone improve them.

Here's some of my favourites from the crap that comes out:

"He'll never drop Butt" changed immediately to "he'll never drop Smith/Nolan" once he did in fact drop Butt. I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to play in midfield once we drop Butt, Nolan and Smith. Guthrie and Vuckic I suppose, even though Guthrie's been equally poor when played central and hardly anyone's seen anything of Vuckic so he obviously "must be better".

Lovenkrands dad died and because soon after he played one game and scored, that's all gone away and he should be playing week in week out again without a care in the world.

"Why didn't he play <insert recently or even currently injured player>?" which of course would turn into "Why did he play <insert previously injured player> rushing him back too soon?" if any player who's been injured in the last month gets injured again.

"When player X came on he changed the game". Of course this is used not as a compliment of a good substitution that a player was saved to be fresh coming on against a tired defence/midfield, but as a criticism that the player should have played from the start (where he may well have been far less effective pacing himself for a full game and up against a fresh defence).

I swear even if Wenger or Ferguson were manager half of you would be criticising their tactics week in week out.

Top post!

Guest Brazilianbob

Hughton isn't a good manager; I don't care what others say about him.  I've seen with my own eyes that we've been playing s*** and I put that mainly down to his team selections and his unwillingness to change things when a change has been needed as clear as day.

Football is a game played over 90 minutes; its not just about sneaking a goal when weve played badly for 89 minutes. 

I dont want to hear any crap about how he can only play who is available, weve just come out of a transfer window and well be watching the same s*** central midfield on Friday as we have for the last 5 months.  Hughton clearly thinks that our midfield is good enough, if he didnt then he would have done something about it, he didnt.

My only hope is that having Routledge on the right will give us a better balance and help to create more space through the middle as we will not only have one wing for the opponents to worry about, we should have two.

This sort of post is laughable.  It never seems to occur to fans that the reason ther club is playing s*** is because Hughton wants them to play a spoiling game in order to prevent the other team playing to their strengths.  This inevetably leads to our play being disjointed.  I expect to see a similar game plan on friday night because Cardiff have some dangerous players that first and foremost, have to be stopped.

Hughton isn't a good manager; I don't care what others say about him.  I've seen with my own eyes that we've been playing s*** and I put that mainly down to his team selections and his unwillingness to change things when a change has been needed as clear as day.

Football is a game played over 90 minutes; its not just about sneaking a goal when weve played badly for 89 minutes. 

I dont want to hear any crap about how he can only play who is available, weve just come out of a transfer window and well be watching the same s*** central midfield on Friday as we have for the last 5 months.  Hughton clearly thinks that our midfield is good enough, if he didnt then he would have done something about it, he didnt.

My only hope is that having Routledge on the right will give us a better balance and help to create more space through the middle as we will not only have one wing for the opponents to worry about, we should have two.

This sort of post is laughable.  It never seems to occur to fans that the reason ther club is playing s*** is because Hughton wants them to play a spoiling game in order to prevent the other team playing to their strengths.  This inevetably leads to our play being disjointed.   I expect to see a similar game plan on friday night because Cardiff have some dangerous players that first and foremost, have to be stopped.

Oh! I get it now, we're playing a spoiling game against everybody.  :lol:

This sort of post is laughable.   It never seems to occur to fans that the reason ther club is playing s*** is because Hughton wants them to play a spoiling game in order to prevent the other team playing to their strengths.  This inevetably leads to our play being disjointed.   I expect to see a similar game plan on friday night because Cardiff have some dangerous players that first and foremost, have to be stopped.

:lol:

Very true, your post is laughable.

Completely lost faith after that apalling selection at the weekend. Jury was still out me with hughton until that. The man doesn't have the ability to identify the best 11 for the job

I think it's ridiculous how much Hughton's tactics are being criticised tbh. I laughed at the naivety of it before, but it really does seem like a lot of people think it's as simple as putting (what they think is) the best 11 players on the pitch at the same time all the time. This gives absolutely no consideration to the fact that the manager has far more information about the players to go on than we do. He sees how they perform in training, no doubt trying different formations, he gets fitness reports on them, he should even give consideration to their mental state and what's going on in their personal life. He also has to try and balance playing the best team every week with rotating things to make sure the same players don't wear themselves out over a long season and that fringe players are not frozen out. We've got 5 games in 16 days coming up next, but I guess that won't come into the equation when people convince themselves the 11 players they put in a formation on a message board would have played beautiful flowing football and won every game 4-0.

The fact is Hughton has very limited options to change things in any significant way as the players we have are limited in their ability. We've been very limited in terms of numbers in wide players, and in central midfield they are all much of a muchness except that Nolan has a knack of scoring goals. The players are good enough to get results in this league in the style we've been playing, but no way in the world is it going to be pretty no matter who plays or how they line up, and if we did try to change it there's absolutely no guarantee that "better" football would even maintain the same level of results let alone improve them.

"He'll never drop Butt" changed immediately to "he'll never drop Smith/Nolan" once he did in fact drop Butt. I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to play in midfield once we drop Butt, Nolan and Smith. Guthrie and Vuckic I suppose, even though Guthrie's been equally poor when played central and hardly anyone's seen anything of Vuckic so he obviously "must be better".

Lovenkrands dad died and because soon after he played one game and scored, that's all gone away and he should be playing week in week out again without a care in the world.

"Why didn't he play <insert recently or even currently injured player>?" which of course would turn into "Why did he play <insert previously injured player> rushing him back too soon?" if any player who's been injured in the last month gets injured again.

"When player X came on he changed the game". Of course this is used not as a compliment of a good substitution that a player was saved to be fresh coming on against a tired defence/midfield, but as a criticism that the player should have played from the start (where he may well have been far less effective pacing himself for a full game and up against a fresh defence).

I swear even if Wenger or Ferguson were manager half of you would be criticising their tactics week in week out.

Thanks UV it is great post this....

Thanks UV it is great post this....

Agreed.  :clap: :clap: :clap: