The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team gel and morale or not, I just can't understand why anybody would think that a team that got relegated last season, minus some of its best players, would stay up if promoted?

Not saying we will still up (in fact I have said all along we need a lot of changes) but the majority of the "better" players were s*** last season and just couldn't be arsed. The only one I think we really miss is Bassong the problem was and still is the centre of midfield, I can't see us not signing any more players in the summer (I know that is a bold statement under Ashley) but if we sign a good, mobile centre mid and a decent striker I think we will be in a better position than we were when we went down.

It's also much more than just simply a case of not being good enough on the pitch last season either. You only have to look how we started the season with what seemed like some stability to see that we'd have been worth more than 1 point had we not imploded.

The same is pretty much happening with Portsmouth this year, they have some decent players and I wouldn't say they are the worst in the league, but there's a lot of other things contributing to their downfall. Unfortunately you can't just forget everything that's going on once you step onto the pitch.

Right Johnny,team morale and team gel does nothing because...

Christian Benitez 11

Lee Bowyer 4

Stephen Carr 2

Lee Carsley 26

Scott Dann 15

Colin Doyle 13

Keith Fahey 18

Barry Ferguson 12

Craig Gardner 33

Joe Hart 25

Cameron Jerome 10

Jake Jervis 32

Roger Johnson 14

Sebastian Larsson 7

James McFadden 16

Michel 17

David Murphy 3

Jordon Mutch 31

Garry O'Connor 8

Jay O'Shea 24

Stuart Parnaby 21

Kevin Phillips 9

Dan Preston 30

Franck Queudrue 20

Liam Ridgewell 6

Ashley Sammons 29

Teemu Tainio 4

Maik Taylor 1

Gregory Vignal 27

That squad which is 8th in the premier league has much better players on paper than what we had when we went down....right.

You still haven't answered my main point.

This Newcastle side is still the core of a side that got relegated from the PL - they're suddenly not better players.

Aaaaaaand its all gone quiet over there....

spot on again today imo

The most expensive squad is doing alright in the CCC shockah!!1

I bet the smogs squad wasn't cheap and they aren't doing that well and they have a "proper" manager.

Mentioning the cost of the squad is below you anyway Parky, how many of them are worth the money they cost? There are players that cost a tenth of what some of ours cost cost in fee and wages but have performed much better than them.

You are too intelligent for that Parky, was a bit of a lazy comment.

I'll let this go as you said I was intellgent.  :aww:

Team gel and morale or not, I just can't understand why anybody would think that a team that got relegated last season, minus some of its best players, would stay up if promoted?

Not saying we will still up (in fact I have said all along we need a lot of changes) but the majority of the "better" players were s*** last season and just couldn't be arsed. The only one I think we really miss is Bassong the problem was and still is the centre of midfield, I can't see us not signing any more players in the summer (I know that is a bold statement under Ashley) but if we sign a good, mobile centre mid and a decent striker I think we will be in a better position than we were when we went down.

It's also much more than just simply a case of not being good enough on the pitch last season either. You only have to look how we started the season with what seemed like some stability to see that we'd have been worth more than 1 point had we not imploded.

The same is pretty much happening with Portsmouth this year, they have some decent players and I wouldn't say they are the worst in the league, but there's a lot of other things contributing to their downfall. Unfortunately you can't just forget everything that's going on once you step onto the pitch.

Right Johnny,team morale and team gel does nothing because...

Christian Benitez 11

Lee Bowyer 4

Stephen Carr 2

Lee Carsley 26

Scott Dann 15

Colin Doyle 13

Keith Fahey 18

Barry Ferguson 12

Craig Gardner 33

Joe Hart 25

Cameron Jerome 10

Jake Jervis 32

Roger Johnson 14

Sebastian Larsson 7

James McFadden 16

Michel 17

David Murphy 3

Jordon Mutch 31

Garry O'Connor 8

Jay O'Shea 24

Stuart Parnaby 21

Kevin Phillips 9

Dan Preston 30

Franck Queudrue 20

Liam Ridgewell 6

Ashley Sammons 29

Teemu Tainio 4

Maik Taylor 1

Gregory Vignal 27

That squad which is 8th in the premier league has much better players on paper than what we had when we went down....right.

You still haven't answered my main point.

This Newcastle side is still the core of a side that got relegated from the PL - they're suddenly not better players.

Looking at that Birmingham squad, a fair chunk of that went down in 2008 or were playing Championship football last season.

Dodged.

Hillarious.

Care to tell everyone what tells you that Hughton won't sign a CM this summer other than the fact that you don't like him?

The fact I've seen Nolan play just about every fkin minute of every fkin game despite barely being fit enough to last 10 minutes.

Guest icemanblue

Dodged.

Hillarious.

Care to tell everyone what tells you that Hughton won't sign a CM this summer other than the fact that you don't like him?

The fact I've seen Nolan play just about every fkin minute of every fkin game despite barely being fit enough to last 10 minutes.

:lol: Answer his question, man.

Dodged.

Hillarious.

Skirge?

I think we'll probably buy a defensively minded CM to play alongside Nolan. Just an opinion but with Hughton in charge we'll once again see a premiership season with no creativity or pace through the middle.

I think we'll probably buy a defensively minded CM to play alongside Nolan. Just an opinion but with Hughton in charge we'll once again see a premiership season with no creativity or pace through the middle.

As far as I can tell you just have very strong pre-determined opinions about players and managers. Those you like can do no wrong, those you don't are guaranteed to screw up everything.

Am I wrong?

I said in October that I liked Hughton as a person and was prepared to give him a chance. He's done alright at times and has to take some credit for our league position. But ultimately, he's proved to me and others than he doesn't have enough about him to be a premiership manager.

I said in October that I liked Hughton as a person and was prepared to give him a chance. He's done alright at times and has to take some credit for our league position. But ultimately, he's proved to me and others than he doesn't have enough about him to be a premiership manager.

Fair enough.  When and how?

As i've said, I have zero faith in him to show ruthlessness in addressing the weakest part of the team. Nolan has been a disgrace for most of the season but he's never been dropped and has only been subsituted (that I can remember) once.

The players were only partially responsible for our relegation from the premiership. Before blaming the players i'd look towards the owner, chairman and management, who were the architect of our downfall.

The players we had last year were lazy, selfish and gutless at times. However, they were also unorganised, unfit, as well as severely lacking confidence and leadership, this was down to the idiots upstairs.

Those who think that the same group of players can't "do a job" in premiership, merely because of the manner of our relegation are shortsighted.

The team will need a good appraisal, especially in midfield, and there will be huge question marks over the capability of the management. Those players who get us promoted will bare little resemblence in organisation, communication, team spirit, confidence and fitness to those who got us relegated... even if there is a lack of talent in certain areas.

As i've said, I have zero faith in him to show ruthlessness in addressing the weakest part of the team. Nolan has been a disgrace for most of the season but he's never been dropped and has only been subsituted (that I can remember) once.

To say he has been a disgrace, is nothing short of embarrasing TBF.

Nolan's attitude has been brilliant and he has brought a dozen goals to the team. To say that he lacks fitness and ability on the ball would be accurate enough but to say he has been a disgrace is laughable.

The players were only partially responsible for our relegation from the premiership. Before blaming the players i'd look towards the owner, chairman and management, who were the architect of our downfall.

The players we had last year were lazy, selfish and gutless at times. However, they were also unorganised, unfit, as well as severely lacking confidence and leadership, this was down to the idiots upstairs.

Those who think that the same group of players can't "do a job" in premiership, merely because of the manner of our relegation are shortsighted.

The team will need a good appraisal, especially in midfield, and there will be huge question marks over the capability of the management. Those players who get us promoted will bare little resemblence in organisation, communication, team spirit, confidence and fitness to those who got us relegated... even if there is a lack of talent in certain areas.

Fair assessment.

Imagine if we ran last season 50 or 100 times, we would probably only get relegated in half of those, if not less. We didn't perform well, but because some of our players didn't perform doesn't mean they never will or are completely unable.

Nolan's attitude has been brilliant and he has brought a dozen goals to the team. To say that he lacks fitness and ability on the ball would be accurate enough but to say he has been a disgrace is laughable.

His attitude on the pitch is good. That however, is the easy part.

I'm taking £10 bets with any fucker on here that CH will be gone by Xmas? Savvy?  :snod:

His attitude on the pitch is good. That however, is the easy part.

I'm mystified by Nolan sometimes - the guy is a bit of a contradiction.

He does seem to care, and he has good attitude on the pitch. I just can't understand why that attitude doesn't drive him to sort his fitness out. Maybe he is trying, I don't know.

I'm taking £10 bets with any fucker on here that CH will be gone by Xmas? Savvy?  :snod:

What's that got to do with me?