The promotion clearout.

Parky

s*** I hope none of our players can afford the internet and have spare time on their hands to surf the net and read this crap as it would motivate them really well to not get promoted.

FFS, be thankful for the effort they've all put in this year to have us to leading the dvision by a big margin right now, they've all earned themselves a chance to stay IF and it's still a big IF we make it back up. Time for this kind of thread really is at the end of the season when we can evaluate the full body of work.

Do you know anything about real life?

It's threads like this and idiots like you, that are the reason I've been trying to stay away from this forum . Fucking hell your team is top of the table with a big fight on their hands in what loks like a very tight 3 horse race and you are already talking about who we should get rid of, when we don't even know which division we'll be playing in. Wait till the end of the season for shit like this.

OOooooooOOOO!!!

Getting relegated did the clearing out for us.  I think we're good now, all we need to do is add more players.

we have players who are plodding at this level, whats going to happen to them with a step up.

Well we have some good youngsters who might be able to step up and challenge the old guard. Kadar, Krul and Ranger all look like they can offer some fresh legs and enthusiasm. We could buy in more and ship out the deadwood. We might have done it with Geremi, unfortunately Nicky Butt looks like hanging on til his last pay packet.

guthrie,nolan,shola,r.taylor,barton,pancrate,butt,smith.

when was the last time one of these played a game that made you think they'd survive in the prem ?

Guthrie offers some movement, Shola has scored goals in the premier, Barton tries to pass to feet as does Smith, Pancrate can run. Nolan, Taylor and Butt should all quit and sign new lucrative contracts as soon as Joe Kinnear gets appointed as manager of a leading club.

guthrie offers some movement at this level, shola has scored but now struggles at this level, barton has had 3 or 4 decent games in 3 years, smith is butt without the crowd on his back.

I am picking the best of a bad bunch here. basically anyone who can run from one end of a pitch to another for a decent period of a football game is my main criteria. Barton is excused to some extent because we don't have any other central midfielder with any vision.

I think this squad is more than capable of surviving in the Premiership if we add a striker and something to back up the defence. The problem is no one wants to "just survive". Enrique, Colo, Taylor, Jonas, Guthrie and one or two more are players that can get us a top half finish, but the rest of the squad will never do better. We've seen Shola, Smith, Nolan, Ryan Taylor etc. play football that is Stoke-ish for some time. They produce goods if they outmuscle(Nolan, Smith, Shola) opposition but can't edge out intelligent players, which is something you have to do if you want a chance of finishing in the top half of the Premiership.

I think this squad is more than capable of surviving in the Premiership if we add a striker and something to back up the defence. The problem is no one wants to "just survive". Enrique, Colo, Taylor, Jonas, Guthrie and one or two more are players that can get us a top half finish, but the rest of the squad will never do better. We've seen Shola, Smith, Nolan, Ryan Taylor etc. play football that is Stoke-ish for some time. They produce goods if they outmuscle(Nolan, Smith, Shola) opposition but can't edge out intelligent players, which is something you have to do if you want a chance of finishing in the top half of the Premiership.

Welcome to the heartland of delusion.

Which players are we keeping who will have a first team role.

For me:

Enrique

Collo

Taylor

Nolan

Harper

Guthrie

Stick Jonas on there and you're not far off.

I hope he has a good World Cup so we can flog him and bring in something with a vaguely creative streak.

Wasn't hard to leave him off the list.

Not hard to leave any of them off the list tbf, with the exception of Enrique.

Unfortunately, this is correct - if the club is to survive comfortably in the Prem, there will have to be large-scale alterations to the squad. Most of the players named in the first post are probably the only ones anyone would think have a realistic chance of holding their own in a Prem side and some will even struggle to do that.

The comment about selling Jonas is very true because the situation the club is in reminds me of Joe Harvey's 1965 promotion team - when they went up, he had to sell Alan Suddick(talented but erratic) in order to get players who kept the club up(like John McNamee, a hard as nails CH who eventually played a big part in the club's successful Fairs Cup run).

Unless there are major changes, another relegation battle looms - assuming the club goes up this time...

It wasn't last year and it's got a lot worse.

That squad we had at the start of last season was a mid-table side. Managers on the otherhand...

The manager we started with was at least a mid-table manager, probably better.

Yep. Not getting into the should he have stayed or went debate because it's been done to death, but Keegan with that squad even minus Milner would have finished around 11th imo, and I doubt we'd have seen Given or N'Zogbia leave in January either.

Even if we buy more midfielders and strikers they'd have to be very good to keep us up.  The problem will be Hughton.  He's seems incapable of getting anyone playing above their stations or even to their potential.  We'll need players who can win in spite of Hughton.  Give a good manager the squad we've got now and he'd probably keep us up.  Hence why Hull stayed up despite having one of the worst PL squads of recent years (miles worse than ours that went down, on paper).

Even if we buy more midfielders and strikers they'd have to be very good to keep us up.  The problem will be Hughton.  He's seems incapable of getting anyone playing above their stations or even to their potential.  We'll need players who can win in spite of Hughton.  Give a good manager the squad we've got now and he'd probably keep us up.  Hence why Hull stayed up despite having one of the worst PL squads of recent years (miles worse than ours that went down, on paper).

Need to pop that in the Hughton thread.

Guest optimistic nit

the very idea of a promotion clearout is fucking reddiculous from where i'm standing. we only have about 16 players, we'll need to sign 10 players just to have a premiership sized squad come august, and anyone who thinks we'll sign anywhere like that number is increadibly optimistic.

if we are promoted i think 7-8 of the starting XI come august will be the players playing for us now.

the very idea of a promotion clearout is f***ing reddiculous from where i'm standing. we only have about 16 players, we'll need to sign 10 players just to have a premiership sized squad come august, and anyone who thinks we'll sign anywhere like that number is increadibly optimistic.

if we are promoted i think 7-8 of the starting XI come august will be the players playing for us now.

The very idea of a promotion clearout is ridiculous when we have half the season to go and we're playing our main rival for a promotion spot tomorrow night.

Hatched.

Chickens.

Count.

Regardless of promotion: -

Pancrate - Out of contract - Release - Only extend contract if he vastly improves over the rest of the season.

Geremi - Out of contract - Release - He's on £60k a week and can't get a game in the Championship. Hopefully he'll leave in this January transfer window.

Butt - Out of contract - Retire/Release - He's probably going to retire but even if he doesn't there is no way Ashley would extend his contract for anything like his current wages. Besides, we currently have Barton, Nolan, Guthrie and Smith so we don't need any more centre midfielders (unless we can get a creative one).

Xisco - Try to sell. He's supposedly on ridiculously high wages and he's not even very good in his home league in Spain. A terrible Dennis Wise purchase!

Regardless of promotion: -

Pancrate - Out of contract - Release - Only extend contract if he vastly improves over the rest of the season.

Geremi - Out of contract - Release - He's on £60k a week and can't get a game in the Championship. Hopefully he'll leave in this January transfer window.

Butt - Out of contract - Retire/Release - He's probably going to retire but even if he doesn't there is no way Ashley would extend his contract for anything like his current wages. Besides, we currently have Barton, Nolan, Guthrie and Smith so we don't need any more centre midfielders (unless we can get a creative one).

Xisco - Try to sell. He's supposedly on ridiculously high wages and he's not even very good in his home league in Spain. A terrible Dennis Wise purchase!

He's on 68k apparently. Yikes!!! Really can't believe that.