Standard of Refereeing

ChrisMcQuillan

FIFA should've just set up a cloning program and made 5000 duplicates of Collina.

World class ref  :thup:

He was that - if I remember correctly didn't he actually stop refereeing when he realised that he was starting to drop a few clangers, before he was actually supposed to retire.

What has the ref done to us today - have been out all afternoon.  Heard there were two penalties though and that always sounds exceptionally dodgy, especially given to the home team.

Guest firetotheworks

I thought Collina was forced to step down due to his age 45, which is the mandatory ceiling for FIFA referees, even though everyone around the game seemed to be wanting him to be allowed to stay.

:no: He was absolutely terrible towards the end of his career, living on his former reputation as the best ref around. Just ask Neil and 1878 what they think of him at the end of his career.

Think it's a total myth that refereeing is getting worse.

People need to suck it up and accept that some decisions go against you, referees are human. The constant whinging about decisions from both fans and managers is pathetic IMO.

It's a far cry from 'whinging'. Decisions can in the long run cost relegations and decide competition winners.

If those officiating the sport can't get it right, then there's no point in having it at all. We need video technology - simple as really.

I thought Collina was forced to step down due to his age 45, which is the mandatory ceiling for FIFA referees, even though everyone around the game seemed to be wanting him to be allowed to stay.

:no: He was absolutely terrible towards the end of his career, living on his former reputation as the best ref around. Just ask Neil and 1878 what they think of him at the end of his career.

The main reason Collina was so good was the fact that he was as fit as the players and kept up with play better than anyone else so he was making decisions with a much clearer view than other referees, so it makes sense that he struggled with age as he couldn't keep up with play as well as before

• 9 months later...

Standard has Been shocking this season.

Tony Pulis interview on SSN, I agree with him. rekons refs favour big clubs.

he wants relegatio for worse three refs voted on by all clubs- cany idea to stop this big club syndrome.

Standard has Been shocking this season.

Tony Pulis interview on SSN, I agree with him. rekons refs favour big clubs.

he wants relegatio for worse three refs voted on by all clubs- cany idea to stop this big club syndrome.

That does already happen (though it's usually one or two each year)- Stroud, Tanner, D'Urso and a few others have all been dropped in the past few years.

I think we can guess who would go.Marriner, Atkinson and Attwell.

pulis wants teams to score refseach game- worse 3 get relegated. good idea to stop the blatant favouring of top clubs.

Guest firetotheworks

pulis wants teams to score refseach game- worse 3 get relegated. good idea to stop the blatant favouring of top clubs.

How is that even possible!?

How is that even possible!?

what?

It's already done through a combination of club marks and assessor marks, just having it done on club marks is a crackers idea like. :lol: Managers are perhaps the least reasoned people in the world when it comes to refereeing decisions.

Managers and players should have absolutely no say on the quality of referees, they should learn that the referee's decision is final FFS.

too much blantant favouring big clubs, needs addressing.

Managers and players should have absolutely no say on the quality of referees, they should learn that the referee's decision is final FFS.

Too much blantant favouring big clubs, needs addressing.

I honestly don't believe this happens, at least nowhere near as much as people like to think.

And even if it does need addressing, the way to do it isn't be letting biased and vindictive managers have a say over how could a referee is. It's a crazy suggestion.

I honestly don't believe this happens, at least nowhere near as much as people like to think.

And even if it does need addressing, the way to do it isn't be letting biased and vindictive managers have a say over how could a referee is. It's a crazy suggestion.

well the managers could forward thier vote2 or 3 days after each game- cooling off, head levelling time. both managers from the game will vote so an average will be achieved. after all games over a season, it will give a pretty accurate and fair picture of who is really shit.

The standard of refereeing is terrible and needs addressing, but the scoring system is not the right way to go.

Mainly because you get the likes of Bruce and Allardyce genuinely believing that they were screwed by the referee when infact he got it pretty spot on.

You'd get 1/10 from the losing team and 10/10 from the winning team - back to square one.

Guest neesy111

It's not, clubs and managers have the right to have the say on the people whose decision's club make or break clubs with relegation etc.  The fact is, referee's get away with murder for some of their decisions and 99% of the time get away with it.  Referee's are too cushioned to what people actually think of them and they should be forced to come out in public and declare their thinking on some of the decisions.

The Cattermole handball incident was an absolute farce.

Higher standards of accountability wouldn't go amiss, how the referee can not apologise to Stoke or anything after the replays is just stupid to be honest.

If the media decides to retrospectively make a fuss over a bad tackle, for example, and give the footage a lot of air time/discussion time then the FA might act, but for other incidents which don't receive such media attention they won't. It's acceptable that people are human and prone to error, but consistency in retrospective punishment is not unachievable/out of reach IMO.

The current system doesn't work or involve having parity for all clubs.