Standard of Refereeing

ChrisMcQuillan

If anything Mike Dean was lenient on Arsenal players. Chamakh should have been booked for diving and several players escaped yellow cards for swiping Newcastle players legs away whilst Tiote was booked for a nothing challenge.

Aye I thought Fabregas could easily have been sent off for 2 yellows.

I'm confused by Pulis' aims. Referees already get demoted, do they not? I take it there'd be votes for promotion? In which case, the same referees would probably come straight back up, like they do when they're demoted, have a few steady games in the Championship and then get deemed good enough to referee PL games again. Just seem a pointless suggestion IMO.

I'm confused by Pulis' aims. Referees already get demoted, do they not? I take it there'd be votes for promotion? In which case, the same referees would probably come straight back up, like they do when they're demoted, have a few steady games in the Championship and then get deemed good enough to referee PL games again. Just seem a pointless suggestion IMO.

He just wants managers to be able to score them I think.

He just wants managers to be able to score them I think.

Which of course depends soley on whether their team won or lost and whether they feel hard done by for a specific decision.

Isn't there supposed to be an official up in stands marking their performance?

There is, the league table thing already happens as well, think Pulis just wants it to be public.

There are two people at each match that judge the referees performance.  One is another ref (maybe an ex-ref i'm not sure) and another is someone who used to be part of the game (an ex-player or manager).

Tonight raised an issue, for me, with the Barton and Fellaini incidents. Very similar - lashed out, both were red card offences. One is seen, the other isn't. It just seems, I dunno, so amateurish that such a potentially match changing moment is determined by whether the ref was facing the right way.

Did either of the linesmen see the Barton jab/punch?

Guest palnese

Tonight raised an issue, for me, with the Barton and Fellaini incidents. Very similar - lashed out, both were red card offences. One is seen, the other isn't. It just seems, I dunno, so amateurish that such a potentially match changing moment is determined by whether the ref was facing the right way.

Nope, otherwise he would have been off.

Kaizero might disagree. :lol:

Guest neesy111

I simply refuse to believe that people think refereeing is improving, the amount of howlers made by ref's each season is on the rise.

Of course they did, or they'd be shit at their fucking job. Read the Barton thread, man. I've got pictures with arrows.

Higher standards of accountability wouldn't go amiss, how the referee can not apologise to Stoke or anything after the replays is just stupid to be honest.

If the media decides to retrospectively make a fuss over a bad tackle, for example, and give the footage a lot of air time/discussion time then the FA might act, but for other incidents which don't receive such media attention they won't. It's acceptable that people are human and prone to error, but consistency in retrospective punishment is not unachievable/out of reach IMO.

The current system doesn't work or involve having parity for all clubs.

Once again, can't help but feel that the media (in this case MoTD) has chosen to shine a light on this incident and refer it publicly to the FA.

Conversely, Cattermole going forehead-to-forehead with the referee or any number of other incidents..... media discretion = power, IMO.

Higher standards of accountability wouldn't go amiss, how the referee can not apologise to Stoke or anything after the replays is just stupid to be honest.

If the media decides to retrospectively make a fuss over a bad tackle, for example, and give the footage a lot of air time/discussion time then the FA might act, but for other incidents which don't receive such media attention they won't. It's acceptable that people are human and prone to error, but consistency in retrospective punishment is not unachievable/out of reach IMO.

The current system doesn't work or involve having parity for all clubs.

Once again, can't help but feel that the media (in this case MoTD) has chosen to shine a light on this incident and refer it publicly to the FA.

Conversely, Cattermole going forehead-to-forehead with the referee or any number of other incidents..... media discretion = power, IMO.

I don't think there's any excuse for the incident tonight - Barton or not.

I do however agree the fact it is Barton will mean this incident is talked about more than say, for example as you mention Cattermole (albeit he has a reputation for being a twat himself).

I simply refuse to believe that people think refereeing is improving, the amount of howlers made by ref's each season is on the rise.

Is that statement based on anything?

(BTW, I don't refereeing is necessarily improving, I just don't think it's any worse than it ever has been)

I know it's said each season that refereeing is getting worse. But it really does feel it to me this season. Every week you hear about 2 or 3 stupid decisions by PL referees. Maybe they're just being highlighted more, but I don't recall this many before.

Guest neesy111

(BTW, I don't refereeing is necessarily improving, I just don't think it's any worse than it ever has been)

If fans are thinking it's getting worse (these are the people that watch football week in week out), then it is.  It's getting worse on the amount of major howlers, and also the amount of bad challenges that seem to go unpunished at times.

Todays game was lost because Blackburn stopped us playing simple as that.

However Blackburn were allowed to stop us playing through various dubious practices. Its also no coincidence, and  a massive shame, that tonights referee was the same guy who let Stoke get away with the same stuff. What i'm talking about is the late tackles as the ball is being played, stopping the flow of the game, shirt pulling, fouls on the keeper etc. No way would a more experienced / senior / better referee let them get away with it so often.

What we need to start doing is playing them at their own game, not in the fouls but making sure the referee sees and hears about them. Its what the 'big' clubs do and frankly what b****** Rovers did all night. We as a team are simply too honest about staying on our feet instead of making the most off fouls.

A couple of times tonight stood out, one where Jonas had to ride two foul tackles and ultimately ran out of room caused by losing the flow of the run and then from Colo where he was shoved and got booked himself. Now if Jonas goes to ground we'll get a free kick and eventually these kind of fouls will mount up as will yellow cards stopping them playing like that. From the Colo example if he's shoved with raised hands, go down. Look what Pedersen did with Barton.

For f***s sake go to ground if you get fouled and put the pressure on the ref to make decisions. As we've seen all season you get nothing unless you hit the deck.

If fans are thinking it's getting worse (these are the people that watch football week in week out), then it is.  It's getting worse on the amount of major howlers, and also the amount of bad challenges that seem to go unpunished at times.

Erm, I don't believe fans are the most objective and reasonable people to be assessing referees' performances TBH.

Most are bad, but one who stands out in particular is Martin Atkinson. If i remember rightly he made a mess of our game at Man City and had a 'mare in the mackems/Stoke game. The thing is, how can 3 officials regularly not see major incidents between them?

I never understand how people can ask questions like this.

It happened, they missed it. It happens all the time, so how is it in any way surprising?

It's like we're judging referees against a non-existent ideal standard that has never ever been met.

True, it happens all the time, and that's the annoying thing. You could understand if the ref misses something, but we have so called "assistant referees" who simply bottle out of getting involved and don't assist the referee.

Most are bad, but one who stands out in particular is Martin Atkinson. If i remember rightly he made a mess of our game at Man City and had a 'mare in the mackems/Stoke game. The thing is, how can 3 officials regularly not see major incidents between them?

I never understand how people can ask questions like this.

It happened, they missed it. It happens all the time, so how is it in any way surprising?

It's like we're judging referees against a non-existent ideal standard that has never ever been met.

True, it happens all the time, and that's the annoying thing. You could understand if the ref misses something, but we have so called "assistant referees" who simply bottle out of getting involved and don't assist the referee.

Someone on 5 Live the other night, can't remember who, was saying that a lot of referees tell their linesmen to do what they tell them (rather than bottling it), hence the reason why linesmen will wait for the ref's arm to go up before indicating a throw in.