Anyone else still unhappy that Shearer isn't our Manager?

QBG

He wasn't aggressive in his tactics away from home last season,so why would it have been any different this?

Probably because we were playing Tottenham and Liverpool Away last year. I'm pretty sure a Shearer team Away at Scunthorpe or Leicester would be different.

And Stoke and Villa.The Villa game,where we needed to win,still rankles with me now...after being on top for about 20 minutes we sat back and invited them onto us,and once they scored,we had no momentum.I mean,inviting the likes of Ashley Young to attack David Edgar.....

Probably more to do with player Morale than his tactics. I dont see Shearer the premierships top scorer being a guy who sets his team out to play defensively really.

Footballing talents and mind set don't always transfer over in to management as easily as that.

When the pressure for points is on, playing for draws will happen to the best of them.

Not happy about the way he was treated, and not happy with the guy we have instead, but not particularly no.

Not sure I get this bit unless I missed something. Everything Shearer wanted in those 6 weeks in charge, he got (Wise out, Dowie in, etc). He had plenty of time to keep us up (that shocking home draw at Portsmouth springs to mind), and had he won that, would have been given the job full-time imo.

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made.

Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this club forward again.

We want him to be the manager 110%.

He's very good at what he does and he's a straight-talking guy - we like that. He would be the perfect appointment.

We are trying to sort something and we will give the public some information as soon as possible.

Alan has put a lot of work into the job at Newcastle and we are talking to him now.

They then proceeded to tell him nothing, making him look like an idiot hanging on.

Shearer scared them off with his rebuilding plans, it was far too much a job for Ashley to stomach. Hughton's put us top of the table on the cheap, which is exactly what Ashley wanted, not paying a manager a top players wage, while having transfer funds demands etc...

How do we know that after these talks, Shearer's expectations & demands in terms of players staying, money to spend, etc. weren't realistic?

They wouldn't have been to them. Shearer would have wanted whats best for the club, whereas Ashley would want whats best for the clubs bank balance, and why we got Chris.

I know I am. Childhood hero, and even though we went down it was great having him back in the dugout. Travesty that he didn't get the job all in all. Think he'd probably be more agressive away from home as well. Anyone else?

No.  His assessment of "the massive overhaul" which was needed to do well this season has proven to be fairly inaccurate as well.

How do we know that after these talks, Shearer's expectations & demands in terms of players staying, money to spend, etc. weren't realistic?

I believe differently to you. There's little point arguing about it.

I know I am. Childhood hero, and even though we went down it was great having him back in the dugout. Travesty that he didn't get the job all in all. Think he'd probably be more agressive away from home as well. Anyone else?

No.  His assessment of "the massive overhaul" which was needed to do well this season has proven to be fairly inaccurate as well.

How so? It pretty much happened without him anyway. Alot of the fat was trimmed, and if you look at our disaster of a central midfield, I think he's been proven right as it was obvious that was an area that needed and still does need overhauling. If anything he overestimated this league.

How so? It pretty much happened without him anyway. Alot of the fat was trimmed, and if you look at our disaster of a central midfield, I think he's been proven right as it was obvious that was an area that needed and still does need overhauling. If anything he overestimated this league.

Same thing tbh. Either way I think he got it wrong, given that we're top.

He wasn't exactly alone in his predictions to be fair. Doesn't make him any less wrong of course.

True. Nothing to say that we wouldn't be with him as manager, so a bit of a mute point. More of a sentimental thing for me.

I think we'd end up with a much better team under Shearer. We'd likely have gotten moses/beckford for example quite easily.

Dont think we can judge him positively or negatively as a tactician after last season, as he was trying to salvage a sinking ship & patch up holes he hadnt created.

He wasn't exactly alone in his predictions to be fair. Doesn't make him any less wrong of course.

I know, but then we weren't all in for the job either.

I certainly didn't think we'd struggle mind & am more surprised at how easy it's been / could have been rather than how "well we've done"

:facepalm:

I'm unhappy that we haven't got a recognised manager that I can see as being a viable long term option.  Even if we do go up Hughton will struggle in the Prem and we'll have to change manager.  At least Shearer would have the clout and charisma for me to think that we might be successful under him.

The dugout comment was from a sentimental standpoint.

The dugout comment was from a sentimental standpoint.

Just don't even bother mate. 2sheds won't credit Shearer with a single thing, you might as well give up now.