Ariel Ortega

Dani (ex Ajax/Atletico Madrid)

Alvaro Recoba

Sebastian Deisler

Pablo Aimar

Riquelme

Cassano

Denilson

how could I forget him, wasn't his transfer to Betis the most expensive of the world at the time? Ludicrous. At some point it looked like he could be another Rivaldo, but his fall from grace was quite remarkable. In his last seasons at Betis he was laughably useless, it's like somebody had switched him with a clone with the footballing brain of my grandmother.

Pele (I know, but he didn't play in a European league)

You're having a laugh, players didn't move around much in those in those days because the pay was similar, was probably more in South American due to the maximum wage, a few English players moved to Columbia in the fifties/sixties for a better wage. So the best leagues were the ones who produced the best players which was clearly Brazil at the time.

Incorrect, he had agreed to move to Real Madrid (not sure when, probably not too long after '58 I imagine), but the Brazilian Government wouldn't let him because he was considered a national treasure, that is why he never played in a top league.

Ronaldo for me, even though he has achieved a lot, never won a Champions League (somehow), was robbed of the best years of his career by injury (even though he won 3 world player of the year awards), and his career probably ended at the age of 30/31, he's 33 now, would be unbelievable if he made the World Cup squad.

Marco Van Basten

The Pelé to Real Madrid story is a bit exaggerated, there was never any deal in place whatsoever. He was very close to go to Juventus, though.

Believe me, if there was something to it here in Spain we would have never heard the end of it from those cunts.

Another player I would mention is Sócrates. Never won the WC, never succeeded in Europe, but god hell he was one of the best midfielders I have ever seen. He captured my childish imagination at the Spain WC.

Incidentally, anybody remember Careca too? That 1980s Brazil side had some utterly gifted players that never achieved much.

The Pelé to Real Madrid story is a bit exaggerated, there was never any deal in place whatsoever. He was very close to go to Juventus, though.

Believe me, if there was something to it here in Spain we would have never heard the end of it from those cunts.

Another player I would mention is Sócrates. Never won the WC, never succeeded in Europe, but god hell he was one of the best midfielders I have ever seen. He captured my childish imagination at the Spain WC.

Incidentally, anybody remember Careca too? That 1980s Brazil side had some utterly gifted players that never achieved much.

I love your posts cause I always get to wiki new players.  :aww:

Believe me, if there was something to it here in Spain we would have never heard the end of it from those c***s.

I love your posts cause I always get to wiki new players.  :aww:

O0

From that Brazil side you're probably more familiar with Zico. Again another football great that never won a World Cup or anything in Europe.

Fuck it, I'm off to look for videos of 1980s Brazil. (You need a mouth-watering smilie)

I would not say he's world class, but he can be a very good player when he's not sulking or being petty. He is the kind of player that does have talent but needs everything to go his way to demonstrate it, doesn't have the fight or determination to impose himself.

Has anyone mentioned George Best yet? Surely someone of his class, skill and talent, who pissed it all away before hitting 30 needs to be on this list. As a Northern Irish person, its just a shame he wasn't at the top for longer!

Andy Cole on the same score.

I find that a strange choice. I'd say Cole was one who made the most of limited ability. His touch on the ball wasn't great, and that's why he could never establish himself at international level.

For a current example of wasted talent without excuse, I give you Anelka. A £20 million player for Real Madrid at the age of 20, he ended up at Bolton. The Chelsea move has given him a great last chance which he's been lucky to get. If he'd really applied himself, he could have been the best striker in the world, but most of the time he's seemed content to just do enough to keep the cheques rolling in.

Collymore for me. He could finish with both feet, good in the air, physical presence, bit of pace.

Well, at least he's gone onto being a fine broadcaster on Talksport  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aye, Stan Collymore definitely.......had pretty much everything to be a top class striker, pace, dribbling ability, skill etc but too many off the field issues.......even until recently with the dogging :lol:

If he hadn`t turned down Man Utd for Liverpool and trained under Ferguson`s guidance then things might have been different career wise.