Agent claims Given reneged on City commission

Thespence

his footballing misery makes me smile. bearing in mind we only needed one more point to stay up, we'd definitely still be in the premiership is judas didnt leave. then in the summer, who knows, maybe arsenal would've been after him. i loved the guy while he was here, but the way he left leaves a very bitter taste.

I'm not saying it's wrong, and i may be missing something but why is there all this animosity towards Given? He gave you over 10 years of magnificent service and wanted to win something before he retired, he seemed a good guy.

Put very simply, because it's been talked about loads, it's because he left in January when we were in the middle of a relegation battle, instead of seeing that out and then leaving in the summer. The way he went about getting a move got a lot of peoples backs up too. Being out with a phantom injury to force the club's hand.

The fact that a couple of weeks before the transfer window opened he reckoned he was happy at Newcastle too.

On top of plenty big defeats to top 4 clubs in the past aswell, why pick to move then?, hmm £75,000 a week might have something to do with it. Given said after he moved that we could of done more to kep him, you mean something along the lines of the contract extension, pay increase and being made the club captain?

Fuck off Given, I hope you and Man City win fuck all.

Were you at that match?  I was at it, and it was fucking ridiculous.  Given put in a top drawer performance and still ended up letting in 5 goals.  If that was indeed the last straw for him I can see why.  He had been saying for about 5 consecutive transfer windows that we needed to strengthen and we never did.  Joe Kinnear was in the fucking dugout ffs.  FWIW I think he should have waited til the summer to fuck off, but sometimes enough is enough.  He was paid well yeah, but so fuck - no more money than he'd have been paid elsewhere.  He was paid the going rate for a top class goalkeeper. 

I decided to look up the match thread for that game since it was before my time on here:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58802.30.html

Only browsed the first couple of pages but Given put in a fucking excellent performance and was let down by those in front of him.  And I reiterate KINNEAR in the fucking dugout man.  I can see why he snapped tbh.

I wish he'd stayed til the end, therefore he slightly tarnished his reputation in my eyes.  But with people on here it's so black and white (no pun intended, etc) - an ex-player is either a God or a cunt.  You're either a Solano or a Given.  No grey area, is there?  It's bollocks.  Given went down in my estimation to an extent for leaving when he did but I've still got a lot of respect for him.  All these people calling him a Judas and wishing him ill-will for the rest of his career are fucking mental imo.

Guest Heneage

I thank him for his service, but won't have him try and claim it was anything other than a business decision in terms of money and the potential for trophies, all this about the club treated me poorly and I cared was bollocks.

I'm not saying it's wrong, and i may be missing something but why is there all this animosity towards Given? He gave you over 10 years of magnificent service and wanted to win something before he retired, he seemed a good guy.

Put very simply, because it's been talked about loads, it's because he left in January when we were in the middle of a relegation battle, instead of seeing that out and then leaving in the summer. The way he went about getting a move got a lot of peoples backs up too. Being out with a phantom injury to force the club's hand.

The fact that a couple of weeks before the transfer window opened he reckoned he was happy at Newcastle too.

On top of plenty big defeats to top 4 clubs in the past aswell, why pick to move then?, hmm £75,000 a week might have something to do with it. Given said after he moved that we could of done more to kep him, you mean something along the lines of the contract extension, pay increase and being made the club captain?

f*** off Given, I hope you and Man City win f*** all.

Were you at that match?  I was at it, and it was f***ing ridiculous.  Given put in a top drawer performance and still ended up letting in 5 goals.  If that was indeed the last straw for him I can see why.  He had been saying for about 5 consecutive transfer windows that we needed to strengthen and we never did.  Joe Kinnear was in the f***ing dugout ffs.  FWIW I think he should have waited til the summer to f*** off, but sometimes enough is enough.  He was paid well yeah, but so f*** - no more money than he'd have been paid elsewhere.  He was paid the going rate for a top class goalkeeper. 

I decided to look up the match thread for that game since it was before my time on here:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58802.30.html

Only browsed the first couple of pages but Given put in a f***ing excellent performance and was let down by those in front of him.  And I reiterate KINNEAR in the f***ing dugout man.  I can see why he snapped tbh.

I wish he'd stayed til the end, therefore he slightly tarnished his reputation in my eyes.  But with people on here it's so black and white (no pun intended, etc) - an ex-player is either a God or a c***.  You're either a Solano or a Given.  No grey area, is there?  It's bollocks.  Given went down in my estimation to an extent for leaving when he did but I've still got a lot of respect for him.  All these people calling him a Judas and wishing him ill-will for the rest of his career are f***ing mental imo.

for quite a few it wasn't the timing but the manner of his departure.

Guest kingdawson

He stitched them up imo. Those 10 years of loyalty becomes void when a player decides to leave as his team is fighting relegation. The guy left them in their moment of need.

KING DAWSON

He wasnt the first and he wont be the last. Football is not a loyalty scheme anymore and there are numerous examples of players moving because of better deals, better opportunoities to win trophies etc etc etc.

I suppose you can class the likes of Gavin Barry at Villa, Lescott at Everton, Tevez at Man Utd, Adebayor and Toure at Arsenal in the same bracket as Given. The only difference is that he was playing for a shambles of a team and knew it was time to go. Whether he was disloyal or not at the time is open to discussion but for all those who moan and whinge about his decision, put yourself in his place.

If you were offered the opportunity to play for the richest club in the world, increase your weekly earning by 25% and get the opportunity to win medals, would you stay with a club that was being mis managed into obscurity?

Yeah, loyalty really does come into it these days, doesnt it?

Given lied to the supporters.

The same supporters who provided the majority of the fortune he earned at NUFC.

I said at the time City had tapped him up. His choice was loyalty (13 games) to the supporters if not the regime, or take the money and run. Fuck him.

Guest firetotheworks

MACCA 888

Most of those players you've mentioned are hated by their former fans. It doesn't really help your case for people 'whinging' about Given leaving in the middle of a relegation fight. I don't hate him or anything, but leaving in January leaves a very bitter taste. Even if we were mid-table then fair enough, but like KD says, he left in our moment of need. He'd have left a legend 4 months later.

KID

And what I am saying that in this day and age, any sort of loyalty shown to a struggling club by any player who is offered a better opportunity elsewhere, be it mid or end of season, is about as rare as a Mackem virgin.

We no longer live in the 50s. Football is not a sport any longer but an arena for money hungry over rated prima donnas.

KING DAWSON

He wasnt the first and he wont be the last. Football is not a loyalty scheme anymore and there are numerous examples of players moving because of better deals, better opportunoities to win trophies etc etc etc.

I suppose you can class the likes of Gavin Barry at Villa, Lescott at Everton, Tevez at Man Utd, Adebayor and Toure at Arsenal in the same bracket as Given. The only difference is that he was playing for a shambles of a team and knew it was time to go. Whether he was disloyal or not at the time is open to discussion but for all those who moan and whinge about his decision, put yourself in his place.

If you were offered the opportunity to play for the richest club in the world, increase your weekly earning by 25% and get the opportunity to win medals, would you stay with a club that was being mis managed into obscurity?

Toure, out of those, is the only one that has no hate directed at him. As that was an Arsenal decision and we know who came off better from it.

Guest firetotheworks

KID

And what I am saying that in this day and age, any sort of loyalty shown to a struggling club by any player who is offered a better opportunity elsewhere, be it mid or end of season, is about as rare as a Mackem virgin.

We no longer live in the 50s. Football is not a sport any longer but an arena for money hungry over rated prima donnas.

:lol:

I know all that man, you don't have to spell it out. It's common, and often that's the reason why it happens, but it's not a reason for fans to just accept it, capiche?

KING DAWSON

I don't blame him for going, I just think the hero worship should have ended the day he put in a transfer request. He always played up to the adulation he got as well which makes it even more cringeworthy. He wasn't a local hero he was Newcastle player who got well paid for his services and has now fucked off chasing the arab £ notes.

Guest firetotheworks

Capiche??????????????????

Yeah, I f***ing Capiche alright.

Hope you capiche too.

What is capiche, by the way..................Fabio's missus?

It's Italian for 'understand?' or 'do you know what I mean?'

Hope you capiche too.

Hell, mate, I know what mit means. Cant you detect the irony in my reply?

He could have helped us through our toughest season in the prem then left.

Just goes to show, all that money ploughed into a player and he does off when it gets tough.

Footballers aren't worth pissing on.

Guest firetotheworks

Hope you capiche too.

....no. But no bother, I'm not the best at picking up things on here.

Guest kingdawson

KING DAWSON

Where did i say loyalty comes into it?

I'm saying i can understand why the fans dislike the way he went about leaving. I'm also saying that loyalty SHOULD play a part but since it doesn't, you lot shouldn't feel any loyalty towards him and his 10 years service.

Ash how can you co sign his post when the first post you made was about Given's loyalty to the club? so Newcastle fans should remain loyal to Given and remember his 10 years service but it's ok for Given to forget it all and fuck off as soon as a better offer is made, simply because it's the way football is nowadays?

Hope you capiche too.

....no. But no bother, I'm not the best at picking up things on here.

Not a problem. I am just happy I learned how to quote now. Hope Dave is prous of me. All I need now is how to do an avatar.........LLOL

Just goes to show, all that money ploughed into a player and he does off when it gets tough.

Given went through more bad times than good in his time here. In times when we are told that its all about winning trophies, its amazing he lasted as long as he did.

Guest firetotheworks

Given went through more bad times than good in his time here. In times when we are told that its all about winning trophies, its amazing he lasted as long as he did.

True, but then he left at absolutely the worst possible time.