NUFC's Most succesfull manager ever = Hughton

Rob W

If you take wins in competitive games (and leave out John Carver who ran the club for 1 sucessful game) Hughton comes top of ALL our managers since 1930 (before that it was a committee)

Hughton            56.76%

KK                    54.98%

Martin (47-50)  49.03%

SBR                  46.66%

Roeder              45.83%

Cox                  44.97%

Souness            44.82%

Mather (35-39)  43.57%

Livingstone (54-56)  43.43%

Cunningham (30-35)  41.83% 

Wikipedia is out of date

hughton's record in competitive games is P 37 W 21 D10 L6

this is in his current time running the club not including the 3 games after KK quit (again)

Joe Harvey only had  a 37.9% win record.........

Guest GAMMELL

Should be a statue built of the cunt

What's your boggle, man? He's done a brilliant job, tbh.

Yes, hes done a very decent job at this level, the true acid test is if he can keep us up in the Premier League next season should we gain promotion... I have my doubts big time.

I'll sing his praises no end if he does.

Those who say and have said at the start of the season that we should get rid of him need to think what alternatives we realistically have. He's made a few mistakes which are plain to see but the fact is, we are 5 points clear at the top of the championship with a game in hand. That is highly commendable and I don't think that we would necessarily be in this position had we not kept him in charge. I think if we go up this season, we need to keep him in charge and bear in mind that we will be a newly promoted team, and that anything above 18th place is acceptable.

Guest guinness_fiend

Should be a statue built of the c***

What's your boggle, man? He's done a brilliant job, tbh.

Yes, hes done a very decent job at this level, the true acid test is if he can keep us up in the Premier League next season should we gain promotion... I have my doubts big time.

I'll sing his praises no end if he does.

You know what, whether you meant it or not, you've just summed up my feelings.  I think he's a top bloke doing a good job in the Championship.  Whether he can do repeat his achievements in the Premiership is another thing, but I think that - should we get promoted - he should at least be given the chance to build upon what he has achieved thus far.

If we're doing terribly by Christmas (and by "terribly", I don't mean mid-table, because I'd be satisifed on that return for first season back with the big boys), then we should replace him.  Until that point, he has my support.

Those who say and have said at the start of the season that we should get rid of him need to think what alternatives we realistically have. He's made a few mistakes which are plain to see but the fact is, we are 5 points clear at the top of the championship with a game in hand. That is highly commendable and I don't think that we would necessarily be in this position had we not kept him in charge. I think if we go up this season, we need to keep him in charge and bear in mind that we will be a newly promoted team, and that anything above 18th place is acceptable.

Never going to happen with our fans.

Guest jonlane86

Hughton            56.76%

KK                     54.98%

Martin (47-50)   49.03%

SBR                   46.66%

Roeder              45.83%

Cox                   44.97%

Souness            44.82%

Mather (35-39)  43.57%

Livingstone (54-56)  43.43%

Cunningham (30-35)  41.83% 

If anyone can be bothered to work this out based on top flight league games and all cup competitions i'll take this into account......

Guest antz1uk

Tell you what, when KK was here the 1st time was he getting the plaudits he deserved back then or were people saying let's just wait and see how he does halfway through a premier league season!! Were they hell, they were singing his name and calling him all the best things under the sun! Hughton has done a great job under extreme pressure from all the crap that had gone on in the boardroom etc... Kk had unity and a whole new backing when he was here that season

hughton has done a fantastic job, then throw in the ridiculous circumstances he has had to work in and it makes it an even better job.

People need to get off his back a bit and appreciate the job he's done. He can only beat the opposition put in front of him 

Tell you what, when KK was here the 1st time was he getting the plaudits he deserved back then or were people saying let's just wait and see how he does halfway through a premier league season!! Were they hell, they were singing his name and calling him all the best things under the sun! Hughton has done a great job under extreme pressure from all the crap that had gone on in the boardroom etc... Kk had unity and a whole new backing when he was here that season

hughton has done a fantastic job, then throw in the ridiculous circumstances he has had to work in and it makes it an even better job.

People need to get off his back a bit and appreciate the job he's done. He can only beat the opposition put in front of him  

This. Absolutely spot on.  :clap:

Guest jonlane86

Hughton Top Flight Record:

2006-07

Man United (a) 6-0 defeat

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

West Ham United (a) 3-1 defeat

Blackburn Rovers (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

West Bromwich Albion (a) 3-2 win

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Man United (h) 1-2 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

So lets judge Chris on the opposition he's been given in top flight management

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

That is a possible 6 points out of 33, 6 of those games we were playing 'beatable' opposition, and thats not including Everton at home which at the time I thought was a shoe in.

I wouldn't blame anyone for having doubts after looking at those stats.

what is interesting is that only KK and Hughton have won more than 50% of our competitive games over the last SEVENTY years

No wonder we never win the League - total lack of consistency

Alex Ferguson's record at ManU is just 58%. It is rare that a manager gets above 60% over any significant period of time, even if he is very succesful.

I agree Hughton's stat is pretty bollocks with most of them being Championship games.

You make some very good points.

Back then we were considered to be a second tier club, many of us had resigned ourselves to being that or at best a yo-yo club, though even the yo-yo was more down than up.

When things started to take off under Keegan there was a huge upsurge in optimism and belief and it felt like we were finally moving forward and breaking off the shackles of mediocrity and the feel good factor was sky high.

This time many fans have only ever known top level football and feel that promotion is merely putting us back where we should be anyway.

Having seen quite a few promotions, my view is that both men have done equally good jobs and although I can't imagine CH ever becoming the legend KK was, his job has probably been a tougher one due to the fracticious circumstances he's had to operate within.

I'm not sure Chris Hughton really is "Newcastle's most successful manager ever" as different times and different leagues cloud the issue, but he is certainly one of the most dignified people to have ever been associated with the club and if he get's us promoted he deserves all the praise he gets for doing so.

Hughton Top Flight Record:

2006-07

Man United (a) 6-0 defeat

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

West Ham United (a) 3-1 defeat

Blackburn Rovers (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

West Bromwich Albion (a) 3-2 win

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Man United (h) 1-2 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

So lets judge Chris on the opposition he's been given in top flight management

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

That is a possible 6 points out of 33, 6 of those games we were playing 'beatable' opposition, and thats not including Everton at home which at the time I thought was a shoe in.

I wouldn't blame anyone for having doubts after looking at those stats.

That was Pearson. I don't believe Hughton was even at the club at that time.