Memories of Old Wembley

Guest K9

Old Wembley is a sacred place for Barcelona fans, hosting our first EC win after many many tries. I was too young to have gone to the final but was one of the first things I went to when I first went to London in 1996 (four years after the fact). Walked the steps, observed the goals, imagined where Koeman stood when he took that FK...

When it was demolished, FC Barcelona bought both goals, which are part of our museum (although they weren't in display last time I was there).

i was in the museum in september, don't recall having the goals in their

We bought a shedload of stuff from Old Wembley: the dressing room tunnel, some of the steps, the goals, dressing room hangers and benches, squad benches, the Queen's chair... they wanted to make a small replica of it besides the replicas of our old offices and dressing rooms at the museum, but the whole lot is stored at some warehouse somewhere which is a crying shame until the museum is expanded, which has been put off several years. The goals were on display in the early 2000s, though.

I come over from Austria to see my beloved Newcastle United to lose the 1999 cup final against man u 0-2. Spent over 500 quid on the trip and despite the loss it is a memory that will live with me forever

The old Wembley was a horrid, piss stinking old dump of a place.

I was at the new Wembley on Sunday. It is a horrible, piss stinking new dump of a place. I've never been in a stadium with so little atmosphere.

I was quite staggered how much the corporate tier kills off any atmosphere.

Anyway, my Wembley experiences are

1975, 1977, 1994, 1996, 2010 LC Finals

1981 Charity Shield

2000 FA Cup final

1990 Div 2 play off final (don't ask).

Atmosphere does always sound pretty shit on the tele. Would've been better if they had made a stands on top of the pitch, traditional old school English ground - just fucking massive.

The thing is, with the atmoshpere, the middle layer just kills it stone dead. It is quite amazing, and I can not stress it strongly enough.

On Sunday I was on the bottom tier behind the goal. I looked to the top tier and there was singing all around it, and singing around us, but it seemed like they were singing different things.

It is like when in the World Cup in an England game, there is a Mexican wave and it stops DEAD at the England section (although in that case, thankfully), the atmosphere at the new Wembley just gets killed by the middle tier.

It is honestly the least atmospheric ground I have ever been to (and when you consider how un-atmospheric almost every PL ground is, that is saying something).

The thing is, with the atmoshpere, the middle layer just kills it stone dead. It is quite amazing, and I can not stress it strongly enough.

On Sunday I was on the bottom tier behind the goal. I looked to the top tier and there was singing all around it, and singing around us, but it seemed like they were singing different things.

It is like when in the World Cup in an England game, there is a Mexican wave and it stops DEAD at the England section (although in that case, thankfully), the atmosphere at the new Wembley just gets killed by the middle tier.

It is honestly the least atmospheric ground I have ever been to (and when you consider how un-atmospheric almost every PL ground is, that is saying something).

Being half full of Man U 'fans' probably had something to do with it.

We'll be taking your word for it for an awful long time. :(

And the other half Villa  :undecided:

One of the only good things about the old wembley was the atmosphere, I think they should have saved it and upgraded what they had.  I can't think of a better sight in football than walking up Wembley Way an seeing the twin towers.

And the other half Villa  :undecided:

You could stage the Boca - River Plate derby in that stadium, but stick that corporate level in there and it would reduce it to Wigan - Portsmouth on a wet Wednesday night, believe me.

One of the only good things about the old wembley was the atmosphere, I think they should have saved it and upgraded what they had.  I can't think of a better sight in football than walking up Wembley Way an seeing the twin towers.

That's true, and the arch doesn't come anywhere near it.

As I said, the worst thing was the lack of atmosphere created by the corporate pandering.

The second worst thing was the really, really drab feel to the place. It is a bit like going to a conference somewhere. Steel and glass and coldness.

The third worst thing was the fact that, quite clearly, they got to a certain point in building what they wanted to be the best stadium in the world and just fucking gave up. Drinking in the concourses is all concrete and darkness. It is like having a pint of shite beer underneath the M6.

Guest Monkey

I was there for a FA Trophy Final involving Torquay with less than 41,000 in and it was a fabulous atmosphere.  I think the atmosphere was appalling on Sunday as you had two shit sets of fans in there.  Put Newcastle in there for a League Cup Final against someone like Leeds you'd see if it's to do with the dynamics of the ground or not.

Had nothing going for it other than nostalgia. Newcastle suffered every time i went there and the only England game i saw at the place was a dull 0-0 v Norway.

Should have been demolished ten years before it was.

the game in 92 wasn't great, but had one of the best goals i've ever seen at wembley. 1-1 was the score i think, and Rekdal scored a fantastic goal.

(if that was the game you were reffering to! :) )

Oh, one final (I promise) thing.

A big portion of the Man U fans had f***ed off before the presentation, and in many cases, before the final whistle.

I was sitting amongst Man U fans when we played them, they were really shit.

I was there for a FA Trophy Final involving Torquay with less than 41,000 in and it was a fabulous atmosphere.  I think the atmosphere was appalling on Sunday as you had two shit sets of fans in there.  Put Newcastle in there for a League Cup Final against someone like Leeds you'd see if it's to do with the dynamics of the ground or not.

Yes, yes, of course, of course.

Guest Monkey

My memories of old Wembley are sadly quite poor.

It was always my dream to see the toon there, and the first time I went we played Man Utd in the Charity Shield.  I think I was equally gutted and disappointed about the old stadium as I was about our 4-0 defeat.  You would slag off grounds in countries no ones ever heard of like Tajikstan, if they had facilities like them, let alone the most famous stadium in the worlds most famous country.  Awful, I take it the interior must've been the same for at least 40 years.

The last time I was there was also the last ever game at Wembley, England v Germany.  We lost 0-1 as most will recall, I bought 10 programmes thinking they'd be worth a fortune in years to come as it was the last game there, the defeat clearly knocked value off them cos they were still trading for tenner on youtube last I saw.  No old Wembley wasn't special for me, it's got history no one can take that away from it, but I was pleased they knocked it down, and the day just summed it up for me, half time downstairs two thousand thugs charging at the gates where the germans were, pissed it down, England played shit, and my ticket cost £200 off a tout, all in all, I thought it was wank.

Oh, one final (I promise) thing.

A big portion of the Man U fans had f***ed off before the presentation, and in many cases, before the final whistle.

I was sitting amongst Man U fans when we played them, they were really shit.

The ones we met in the boozers before the match were all decent, and were almost all Mancs, proper fans who'd not turned up for a day out in their jester hats.

Man United's away support is probably the best in the country, too. Which made it all the more disappointing when they all fucked off back to Wembley Park before the crush.

I know the CCC is a far lower priority for them but even so ...

Oh, one more thing, given the total and utter lack of segregation before and after the match, and on transport away from the ground, I truly dread to think of what it will be like in the quite possibly possible situation of us playing Birmingham City in the semi or final.

Not a point specific to new Wembley, but even so ... *shudder*

Guest Geordiesned

Went 6 times in total. Both recent cup finals, the cup semi against Chelsea, the Charity Shield hammering, England v Denmark which was a boring 0-0 and that 2 day tournament I mentioned earlier.