Best English Midfielder since Gazza

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Use your own interpretation of 'best' as other than Leon there isn't a universally agreed one in this sense. My personal definition is them at the peak of what they've shown (so far anyway).

Nearly posted this before but haven't got around to it, but the England thread reminded me.

I've gone since Gazza for two reasons:

1) A huge number (particularly on a Newcastle board) regard him as the most gifted player they've ever seen

2) It roughly coincides with my experience of watching football (I've just turned 24 and don't remember Italia 90)

I know this will provoke a fair amount of debate and they've all been cracking players. For me, gingernut shades it. Ropey tackler, but fuck me he had everything else. I think he's the best passer of the lot, fantastic goalscorer and one half of the most dominant, and probably best, midfield partnership I've seen. He was an utterly magnificent player and underrated like crazy imo. If I were to rank them in order I think it would go Scholes, Lamps, Gerrard, Becks - although I do think Becks was a superb player.

FWIW I think Gerrard will end up winning the poll. We'll see.

Beckham > Scholes > Gerrard > Lampard imho

Out of interest when did you start watching English football? That isn't a dig in any way, genuinely interested.

Was born in 89, so since 89. Although I don't really remember much before around Euro 96-ish due to natural reasons pertaining to the human species when young. One of my older sisters always watched English footy on the weekends, as well as my dad. So i just grew into it.

Out of interest when did you start watching English football? That isn't a dig in any way, genuinely interested.

Was born in 89, so since 89. Although I don't really remember much before around Euro 96-ish.

Have you got some sort of English heritage then?

You're a few years younger than me but I don't really remember all that much outside Newcastle pre-96.

I think the thing that will 'cost' Scholes in this poll is that he was never quite as good at international level as he was at club level. Having said that, he's probably still done just as much, if not more, for us at major tournaments than the others have.

Was born in 89, so since 89. Although I don't really remember much before around Euro 96-ish.

Have you got some sort of English heritage then?

You're a few years younger than me but I don't really remember all that much outside Newcastle pre-96.

I think the thing that will 'cost' Scholes in this poll is that he was never quite as good at international level as he was at club level. Having said that, he's probably still done just as much, if not more, for us at major tournaments than the others have.

I've edited to expand on it just before you posted.

But no, Norway has just always been gifted with great coverage of English football on the telly, and I had a sports interested family growing up. English football is almost as important as Norwegian football to most Norwegians for some reason, probably because our football is shite.

All of them are/have been top players but Scholes had that extra special ability. He was a seriously top top player at his peak and his vision, passing and shooting ability was unbelievable. His brain was a step ahead of most players. Very clever player and I don't think the other players are as good as Scholes at his very best.

I think people like Scholes because as a physical specimen he's not much to look at, tbh. Lampard and Gerrard can run and run and do physical things that Scholes could never do, really, but in terms of football intelligence they're both lacking. Beckham is basically just a brilliant passer and set-piece taker, nowt else.

All of them are/have been top players but Scholes had that extra special ability. He was a seriously top top player at his peak and his vision, passing and shooting ability was unbelievable. His brain was a step ahead of most players. Very clever player and I don't think the other players are as good as Scholes at his very best.

:thup:

ManU 98-00 (if I remember my dates and football correctly) were different class.

Gerrard comfortably.

Everyone is gonna sugar coat Scholes because he retired young, in reality he provided no more than Gerrard or Lampard.

I don't think many people are basing this on international performances, none of them have been consistently at their best for England.

Gerrard comfortably.

Everyone is gonna sugar coat Scholes because he retired young, in reality he provided no more than Gerrard or Lampard.

There isn't a facepalm big enough to reply to this, tbh.

Gerrard comfortably.

EVEN MARLON HAREWOODS LOST FOR WORDS

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-48c6ca7f2fe8b-Beetlejuice+(1988).jpeg

Lampard. Most consistent and you simply can't argue with his goal record. Scholes is better technically though.

Scholes used to rattle in 20+ for a while at his best did he not? In a genuine 442 too?

*waiting for everything I've just said to be disproved*